The worst struts on a 6.9

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I think Red Bull takes the gong for the worst struts I've ever seen.... :eek: And this explains why she felt so unstable and downright dangerous during my one and only drive. The really frightening thing is that the PO was an old(er) gentleman, who I doubt was aware of the serious problems lurking beneath the car and I'm sure he would've carried passengers! I bet the media would've had a field day at MBs expense if she came to grief causing casualties and these defects were found to be the cause....

I've also noticed that both this car and Blue Flame have alloy upper arms, which I thought was a no-no on a 6.9...

RF leaking badly. And the top mount looks stuffed. Note that the brake pad wiring loom has been removed as well:

CIMG6572.jpg

LF bump stop completely adrift and jammed at the bottom of the cup below. If there's debris between the cup and bump stop, there'd be very little travel. The top mount is stuffed as well:

CIMG6576.jpg

CIMG6579.jpg

The LF lower ball joint is looking really bad:

CIMG6577.jpg

The LR is the best of a bad bunch, but obviously needs a good clean, a new boot and bump stop:

CIMG6580.jpg

And I left the best (!) for last! I give you the RR:

CIMG6573.jpg

OMG the ball joint's come apart completely and I was DRIVING this thing!!!

CIMG6574.jpg

CIMG6575.jpg

I have some work to do....

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
It sure is not very pretty. It beats me how owners can let cars get to this state. Sure, it costs money, but that's just complete disregard for safety and everything else that ownership of a 6.9 would warrant. Mark, you have enough cars to use for spares - you might just have to pursue that course of action. Are parts on the spare cars good enough, or are you just going to go through similar experiences once you start llooking at the spares ? You've got some serious spannering ahead of you - and I am not being negative. Regards Styria

WGB

I think a little chat to Styria about his reconditioned struts is in order.

Everything is fixable but I must say if I do a 116 again I would be more aggressive in my repairs right from the outset.

I think TJ 450's "drop the lot and get on with it " has a lot going for it.

Obviously there are budgetary considerations that affect "how far how quickly" but there will be parts that need emergency repair and others that will last a while so the budget can be a bit more gradual.

Everything on my 6.9 has been repaired by me with my tools in my shed and the only job farmed out was replacing the front bottom ball joints (guide joints) in the front axle spindles.

Bill

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks guys for your support. Yes I have a very long list like before and have yet to type it up in priority order. I've created three groups from highest to lowest; Roadworthy, Reliability and Cosmetic and will be conducting repairs in that order. I'll post a list of the most important and see if I can get suggestions for sources of the parts.

I can see why MB isn't for the masses as they're quite complex (even back in 1979) and therefore it's a very daunting task for most people. And if you're not mechanically minded, don't have the skills, tools, or room; if the price of parts doesn't get you, the price of labor certainly will!!! :eek: But lets face it, restoring ANY car is a monumental job. There seems like a million bits that need attention; particularly after 33 of abuse.

But that's one of the huge attractions of a 6.9; it's a mechanical masterpiece and I'm just in awe of the technology that was incorporated into them. The fun is in the journey and all the exquisite details!!

This one isn't the worst I have and those will be treated to a full teardown. But for now I just want one on the road ASAP, so I can have some fun & do a few runs with all you guys.... :)

Last edited:

Tony66_au

I think a little chat to Styria about his reconditioned struts is in order.

Everything is fixable but I must say if I do a 116 again I would be more aggressive in my repairs right from the outset.

I think TJ 450's "drop the lot and get on with it " has a lot going for it.

Obviously there are budgetary considerations that affect "how far how quickly" but there will be parts that need emergency repair and others that will last a while so the budget can be a bit more gradual.

Everything on my 6.9 has been repaired by me with my tools in my shed and the only job farmed out was replacing the front bottom ball joints (guide joints) in the front axle spindles.

Bill

Im with you (And TJ) on this, and considering the most scary thing for me would be the Dashboard and HVAC id just leave it inplace.

Im doing a Mini at the moment with Jen as you guys know and the method I use is

Assess,

Choose which car is to be done,

research and price and purchase parts and consumables,

disassemble,

reassess,

repair

and reassemble.

This way you dont get in too deep and end up with a car in pieces when you find you cant buy or afford to do a good job at the time and for me the research, locate and purchase is the most time consuming stage.

Tony66_au

The method above was taught to me by a guy who does ground up nut and bolt restorations and has been doing them for nearly 30 years quietly in a bayside factory, He is a 50 k down and I'll call you when I need another 50k guy and he takes forever to do the job but the results are astonishing.

Styria

The Godfather
Tell me Oversize, which 6.9 was it, and did you ever attend to those "shockers" ? .........and if you didn't, what happened to the parts, such as they are ? On the other hand, if you ever fixed the issues shown so vividly, how did you go about it. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I still haven’t addressed these issues & they’re still on the car (Red Bull)! The cars been blocked up & not driven since. Although it has been moved several times since I discovered this mess. I have replacement struts now, so it’s just a case of changing them over. Although it’s never that simple since I’m sure there’ll be other work I’ll want to undertake while I’m there! Once Dora’s registered I’ll get on it.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, that sounds a bit more positive. You know I am thinking - I would love you to give me a phone call one day (Mobile 0428 50 1800) and simply tell me what you have got, what your plans are, how far you have progressed etc. etc. so that I no longer have to ask you questions and ask for updates, and which you may find stupid or offensive. With you all the way. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I definitely will!!