The Electrics are coming

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Tesla coined as a Computer on Wheels....
Now worth than Ford and GM (combined ? )
Mobileye sold for 15.5 Billion !!!! (Bought by Intel)
They are an Israeli Company who supply the World with Autonomous Braking.. Lane keeping.. etc, etc.
:cool: Big $$$$s out there still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Re: The Electrics are comming

This is technology.

Driving an A35 AMG last week I discovered yet another bit of advanced technology from Mercedes Benz!

I thought I knew a lot about thei advanced cruise control.

It slows your car if the car in front of you slows down and picks up when the traffic does, even if you've stopped in traffic, you don't have to do much.

It also has a lane assist configuratioon that keeps you whithin your lane and better still, if you intend to change lanes and you indicate, the car turns into that lane when it feels safe to do so (when there are no cars in that lane or coming up to you in that lane).

But the best of them all was coming to a motorway entry.
I put my blinker on and proceeded in that lane and was about to put my foot on the brakes to slow the car down, but the Benz beat me to it!!!
It slowed down by itself until I had turned into the ramp (it was a 70 degree turn!) and proceeded to accelerate (up to the previous cruise controlled speed of 60Km/h) before i increased the speed ...

Simply amazing!
2019-mercedes-benz-amg-a35-launch-12-y4t1.jpg

2019-mercedes-benz-amg-a35-launch-24.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
A most informative thread to a feature that has not previously been explained to me as well as what you have. Keep them coming. TK needs this quality of Thread. Regards Styria

c107

and 111/116/124/126

This is technology.

Driving an A35 AMG last week I discovered yet another bit of advanced technology from Mercedes Benz!

I thought I knew a lot about thei advanced cruise control.

It slows your car if the car in front of you slows down and picks up when the traffic does, even if you've stopped in traffic, you don't have to do much.

It also has a lane assist configuratioon that keeps you whithin your lane and better still, if you intend to change lanes and you indicate, the car turns into that lane when it feels safe to do so (when there are no cars in that lane or coming up to you in that lane).

But the best of them all was coming to a motorway entry.
I put my blinker on and proceeded in that lane and was about to put my foot on the brakes to slow the car down, but the Benz beat me to it!!!
It slowed down by itself until I had turned into the ramp (it was a 70 degree turn!) and proceeded to accelerate (up to the previous cruise controlled speed of 60Km/h) before i increased the speed ...

Simply amazing!

How do you find the new A Class? From what I have read the previous one (and the associated CLA/GLA) was generally regarded to be cheaply made, but I hear the new one is better.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
With the complications and costs of today's computer dependant Cars I can't see any more Classic Cars as of the past. Many of the onboard Computers are virtually unrepairable... no circuit board schematics are available from manufacturers and the Processor Software is the intellectual property of the Car company. Like most other throw away products , Cars will join the list.:eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

How do you find the new A Class? From what I have read the previous one (and the associated CLA/GLA) was generally regarded to be cheaply made, but I hear the new one is better.

Quite impressive compared to the previous models, certainly no cheap feeling.
And I was impressed with the handling and firmness, whilst not affecting the comfort of the ride.
Two weeks before, I test-drove a Kia Cerato GT, which was impressive in its performance and handling, but atrocious in the ride as it was bumpy as...

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
GM have announced that they are starting their Hummer production line again.
This time, it is an all electric EV SUV. Looks like the old H1.

The first of them will appear at the 2020 LIV Superbowl.

Specifications: 1,000 horsepower, and 11,500 (thousand that is) ft/lbs torque!
The Dubai princes will love it. A bit like playing musical flags at the beach! -But with SUV's . :D

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I would question this claim of 11,000 lb/ft torque. It sounds amazing, and would turn heads, it’s a marketing ploy for sure.
Electric motor torque is calculated thus rated differently to the way we know it in the automotive (non electric) world.

The work we, VTI (Volvo Trucks International) have been doing with electric trucks, has been fantastic.
I think I mentioned VERA in an earlier thread??

Simply put, hp is generated by how many windings are in the motor, toque is generated by how big the whole apparatus is. Voltage & RPM also has a different effect on the calculation.

To generate a true reading of 11,000 lb/ft of torque, as we know it, (I would assume there would be 1 moter per wheel) each motor would need to be the size of a 205L (44 gallon) drum, if not bigger.

This is VERA

E0966-E7-F-D2-ED-4834-85-FA-460-BF0335-AD8.jpg

0-D94-CD49-5252-4-B3-C-B430-4-B80-A2-CF0-B15.jpg

4615422-D-B222-48-BB-A6-EA-64-E89-C970201.jpg

When motors get bigger, in smaller applications (compared to ships for instance) then they need to be attached to some type of gear box or a transmission, because the driven component can not handle the severe speed at which the motor will want to spin almost immediately.
Motors are more happier running extremely fast, the slower they run, the bigger they have to be

Here is a good example.
The latest Dyson digital motor. It spins at 120,000 rpm. ( the one on the left)
35784-F0-B-8-AF8-4-E44-9-F5-C-EB2-CC58872-C8.jpg

In comparison, the Mermaid Pods (Mermaid is a Rolls-Royce owned name, compared to Azimuth Pods used on other ships) that are attached to the Queen Mary 2 spin at between 75-175 rpm in one direction only. The propellers shown are also like aircraft propellers, they are variable pitch, for maximum pulling power or cruising.

(Note the propellers are in front of the motor pod, the streamlining of the pod after the propeller reduces drag and stops cavitation. Also note there is no rudder in the QM2, direction is simply by spinning the pod opposite to the direction you wish to travel)

180-E4080-5735-44-F2-803-F-FC3-E75-DED8-D4.jpg

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Very interesting insight into the new AMG Michel,
I have driven older ones, and yes, I was not impressed at all.

This new model looks amazing, and if you say, the quality is good, it must be outstanding.

I’ll look forward to driving one of these for sure :D

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
And what about depreciation I hear you say. ! Just read a survey from the States which showed up to 40% depreciation in the first year for some models. An early model Mercedes Mayblack down from $400,000 to $50,000 :eek:
All the other large sedans in much the same boat.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean, I had a meeting with a major Australian fleet today, and they are looking at electric trucks at the moment. The main reason is that their customers are wanting to be seen as being green. IKEA is their main customer requesting electric trucks, as IKEA want to be seen as a responsible and green supplier.

The fleet has been looking closely at some technology, but as you mentioned Sean, depreciation is a huge consideration.

The fleet told me, that after a typical truck leasing period of 7 years, the residual value will be less than 10%
Not to mention the same spec truck for the job, is 3 times as much as a diesel version.

No one is wanting electric trucks after their lease is up.

The fleet may have to walk away from their customer.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
All IKEA see Sean, is what the customers want to see.

They are not taking into account:
Machines to mine Lithium
The fuel to drive the machines to mine the lithium
The emissions from these machines.
Emissions from making batteries
Etc etc
Then once the batteries go into these trucks, in Australia all base load electricity used is generated from burning coal, so unless IKEA install thousands of solar cells to charge even more batteries during the day, as the trucks are being used during the day, so will have to be charged at night using these batteries.

It makes a diesel truck at a third of the price which is Euro 6 rated (or the higher Japanese rating of pPNLT) sound pretty good.
By the way, a Euro 6 OR pPNLT rated highly fuel efficient diesel, produces far less emissions than all of that above.

But all IKEA sees is that they are using a zero emissions vehicle.
Sigh.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes , people see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe.
I always recall....... 'The willing suspension of disbelief:) "