Ramblings on hydraulic esoteria

More threads by WGB

WGB

Now that my 6.9 front struts don't drop overnight and the car stays upright by itself for weeks on end without being started it occurred to me that it must lighten the load on the hydraulic pump.

The pump pressure is now really only used for gradual top up and levelling functions whereas with worn struts the pump is possibly helping the car to stay up all the time leading to extra loading on the seal.

Probably won't keep me up at night worrying about it - just idle ramblings.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
It's always nice to know, Bill, that jobs turn out well when the effort has been put into them. I replaced a right hand strut when the car continually displayed traits of dropping on that side, which was also inclined to let the tyre hit the front guard under certain condition. That no longer occurs, and once again one can safely state that a job has been well done. Regards Styria

BTW Bill, and this is an enquiry of perhaps a very personal nature - how much do you think your 6.9 owes you, including purchase price. I know you'd keep good records, but perhaps....as I indicated, it is probably for you to know, and for others to guess, if so inclined. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
If you listen carefully at night you can hear some of mine slowing sinking towards mother earth!!! :eek:;)

It won't be long and I'll have two that work properly (and one that's registered)! Interesting that Man o War (with the rechargeable cells) is the only one that seems to operate normally and will stay up for weeks before needing a restart and pump-up....

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, have you actually driven Man o' War ? I know you have posted pictures of those modifications, but do you know if they actually work in real life ? i.e. driven the car, and tested its suspension ? Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Initial battery problems caused all sorts of frustration when I was moving her about on my previous property, but that's now been sorted. I've only driven her once for any sort of distance, as she displayed some rather alarming braking issues. In addition, she has a bad misfire and I've yet to do a compression test. For these reasons and the fact it was raining heavily at the time, I couldn't put her through her paces and never payed particular attention to how the suspension performed.... Damn it! :(

At this point all I can tell is that the suspension stays up for extended periods and doesn't appear to have any leaks (yet). :)

OP
WGB

WGB

BTW Bill, and this is an enquiry of perhaps a very personal nature - how much do you think your 6.9 owes you, including purchase price. I know you'd keep good records, but perhaps....as I indicated, it is probably for you to know, and for others to guess, if so inclined. Regards Styria

I have kept very detailed records of all the work that I have done but I have never added up the dollars and cents.

Partly because as my hobby it was irrelevant and partly because "She who must be obeyed" would have come up with a Hapenny or two in comments.

I paid $20,000 to AMG69 for the car 4 1/2 years ago and have probably spent 3 to $4,000 per year since (Not including the 100s of hours of my time spent).

Cheaper than a Psychiatrist and spitting in the oceon when it comes to depreciation on an E500 and ML500 and ML320CDI that I have owned over the same time period.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have kept very detailed records of all the work that I have done but I have never added up the dollars and cents.
Bill

I'm with you on that one Brother Bill....
Too scared to add the costs... :eek:

I might end up in a psychiatrist's chair :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
Voluntary's always better than involuntary (patient)!!!!! ;):D

Last edited:

Tony66_au

Voluntary's always better than involuntary (patient)!!!!! ;):D

A hobby like this is excellent therapy, Kept me sane-ish and occupied for years.

Speaking of being "sectioned", I went to visit a friends mum in the nuthouse after a long shift at work years ago wearing my "Bum clothes" an old pair of trakky daks and a ratty flannie shirt with slippers on my feet as my boots were filthy, I was also unshaven a good week and looked a bit hollow due to work stress and long hours and when the time came to leave they wouldn't let me lol

It took 2 Doctors checking what id said before they would release me from the unit and although they apologised and I was busy laughing it off I was careful to dress better next time I visited and not shuffle around.

Tony