First drive with new timing chain - and other ramblings

More threads by WGB

WGB

Finally got my 6.9 back on the road today with the air-con re-fitted (but not pumped up yet), driveshaft repaired and re-fitted , new 300K AMG replica speedo ( which is actually really good because I can now see up to 120k through the small wheel ) and new timing chain and tensioner.

AMGReproSpeedoCluster.jpg

End result after change of chain was 2 degrees of remaining "stretch". I decided to run it for a few thousand K and then re-check and correct with ofset keys when it is at 4 degrees.

Ran the fuel pump by turning the key with the transmission in gear to prime the K-jet (The fuel lines had been opened to remove the LH cam cover) and it kicked over and started on the first start. Then re-set the ignition timing.

Impressions of a brief drive -
1) Idle is now almost as steady as my 450 with almost none of the previous wobble.
2) Noticeable reduction in general engine clatter
3) Improved low end torque and now feels like rear wheels can be spun off idle if provoked.
4) More urgency at about 3,500 revs and up but I didn't push it too much until new chain settles into old cogs.

Flushed with success I removed the drivers seat, dismantled it, removed the squab cover, put some extra padding into the side bolsters (which were a little under-stuffed) with foam and then replaced the metal cleats that hold the central portion of the cover to the "Horsehair" with some new smaller diameter wire.
When I recovered them over Xmas several of these were missing off the old driver's seat squab and the only wire I had available was a little too thick and a couple of the fixings were palpable under the leather and in one spot where my large A^&e sat there was a risk that one might rub through.

Any way all is now well and I hope with a pump up I might have my aircon back as well as having my car back to driving condition.

Bill

Last edited:

Des

Dear Bill

Now you have increased your speedometer from 260 to 300, we expect to see engine improvements to see your car near 300k's per hour.

:)

s class

Excellent Bill. That's exactly the engine improvements I noted on my red car with the new chain.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, that's interesting - I am talking about smoother idle and better pick up etc.
The 6.9 Maintenance Manual does refer to adjustment of a new timing chain after 20,000 kilometres, so your intentions to do so should really finish off the job nicely. It will be interesting to see how long it will take you to post that mileage. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You seem to have done a fair bit all around Brother Bill,

Are there any other projects on the horizon (with the AMG)?

OP
WGB

WGB

1) I have a set of subframe rubbers and rear arm rubbers but had enough to do this trip and they are not critical.
2) The rear automatic oil seal does not leak in normal running but does when sitting on the hoist for a few days - I guess a combination of the angle and the fact that everything drains back into the A/T sump - so a new oil seal is required at some stage.
3) I would like to do the front subframe rubbers and lower arm rubbers in the front suspension
4) Exchange the slowly delaminating rear window for another good one I have already.
5) Get new leather for the reclining rear seat to match the new fronts.
6) Tidy up a few bits of paint and put in new front and rear(I have already done the sides) sunroof seals.

That should keep me busy for the rest of the year, Michel.

Bill