New to the forum and 280SLC ownership!

More threads by Trippstick

Trippstick

Hi guys and gals,

I am new to owning my first Mercedes Benz which is a w107 1978 280SLC 185hp model.

I have never seen another one of these cars around and would love it if someone who happens to own the same car and in the Gold Coast vicinity could catch up with me and give me a run through it, its features (there are still a number of things I am unsure about), and if you could take me for a drive would be very much appreciated!!

I have yet to get my baby running and to fix a bit of rust here and there, otherwise she is in pretty good condition all considering it has been in storage for the last (who knows how many) years. It has only done 84,543 genuine kms and I think it should run no worries, though the last owner was in hospital hence the sale and couldn't tell me if it had any issues or as to why it was in storage for so long.

Anyway hopefully someone on here is from the Gold Coast/ Brisbane regions so we can catch up and run over anything/ everything :) I will even shout you a lunch and some drinks :D

Cheers
Tripp

260ebenz

Master
Hello Tripp and welcome to the Forum and enjoy the Forum.

Why not post photos of the 280SLC?

There are plenty of W107 SLC owners here on the Forum who you can talk to in regards to your Mercedes.

Good to speak to you Tripp.

Cheers Tim.

OP
T

Trippstick

Hello Tripp and welcome to the Forum and enjoy the Forum.

Why not post photos of the 280SLC?

There are plenty of W107 SLC owners here on the Forum who you can talk to in regards to your Mercedes.

Good to speak to you Tripp.

Cheers Tim.

Hi Tim,

Thank you I will upload some photo's with this reply.

Does anyone here know how to break into the boot? everything in the car seems to work perfectly apart from the boot lock which is really light when you push it in like its not aligning to push open the boot. I need to take it off to repair a little but of rust and have tried everything I can think of and a few other peoples suggestions and still no luck.

EDIT: Don't worry people just got her open ! :) so excited!

Attachments

• exterior 1.JPG
    exterior 1.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 20
  • front lh side.jpeg
    front lh side.jpeg
    617.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Interior lh side.jpeg
    Interior lh side.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 16
  • mags.jpeg
    mags.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OP
T

Trippstick

Tripps 280SLC looks good.

Good to hear you got the boot open.

Thanks!

Hopefully after a few touch ups and once I get her fired up she will be all go.

I just realised how expensive parts are for these old girls..

$180 for ignition leads with the metal boot

$289 for the ignition coil

Does anyone happen to have some working ignition leads or at least one spare, as mine are in good condition however one is snapped from someone doing who knows what to it.

Also can anyone recommend me what be best oil is for this car? I was thinking Penrite HPR30 20W-60 Performance Mineral Oil with Zinc? Any other suggestions or is this the best to use?

Cheers people!

abl567

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Forum Trippstick, I'm sure you'll find the folk here friendly and helpful:)

Are those prices from a Benz dealer or independent supplier?

OP
T

Trippstick

Welcome to the Forum Trippstick, I'm sure you'll find the folk here friendly and helpful:)

Are those prices from a Benz dealer or independent supplier?

Those prices were from an Auto Barn store here on the Gold Coast, I just assume Mercedes would charge 3x that price to buy the parts through them.

Thank you for the info! I think I will purchase them leads and hopefully they can get here by the weekend :)

Oversize

Grand Master
Welcome Trippstick! The key to owning one of these cars is finding a good parts supplier. And it's not always a MB dealer....

Lovely looking car you have there! Great wheels; Pentas are actually quite rare and valuable so look after them (stay away from kerbs).

Before you spend a cent I'd be having the rust issues thoroughly assessed. Once you know what you're looking at you can decide if it's worth spending the money on repairs. Also check for water leaks including wet carpets and sound deadener.

I'd then check all the perishable hoses before changing change all the fluids and filters. That oil sounds good (I use a semi-synthetic 15W-50).

Pull out the fuel tank and make sure it's thoroughly clean, as they can suffer from rust and scale which can destroy the rest of the fuel system.

Pull the plugs, squirt in a little oil and crank her over to get oil pressure. Reinstall the plugs and hopefully she'll come to life!

Give the interior a complete clean and condition. If you're not happy with the result, look into new seat covers.

Enjoy! Getting it back on the road is half the fun.... :)

OP
T

Trippstick

Welcome Trippstick! The key to owning one of these cars is finding a good parts supplier. And it's not always a MB dealer....

Lovely looking car you have there! Great wheels; Pentas are actually quite rare and valuable so look after them (stay away from kerbs).

Before you spend a cent I'd be having the rust issues thoroughly assessed. Once you know what you're looking at you can decide if it's worth spending the money on repairs. Also check for water leaks including wet carpets and sound deadener.

I'd then check all the perishable hoses before changing change all the fluids and filters. That oil sounds good (I use a semi-synthetic 15W-50).

Pull out the fuel tank and make sure it's thoroughly clean, as they can suffer from rust and scale which can destroy the rest of the fuel system.

Pull the plugs, squirt in a little oil and crank her over to get oil pressure. Reinstall the plugs and hopefully she'll come to life!

Give the interior a complete clean and condition. If you're not happy with the result, look into new seat covers.

Enjoy! Getting it back on the road is half the fun.... :)

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the tips, I will have to pull that fuel tank out by the sounds of things, I was just going to drain it but pulling her out may be a better option seeing as its had over half a tank of fuel in it for who knows how long.

Hopefully she comes back to life nice and easily, I will be sure to check all the hoses and seals etc, luckily she is full with oil (not sure how old) atm and it hasn't leaked a drop on the concrete and she has been sitting still for a week, so looking promising to her not having any major leaks.

Anyone happen to have an owners manual or service manual? even if just scanned this would come in really handy! Thanks people! :)

Tripp

260ebenz

Master
Sorry to guys a quick question in regards to bits4benz website is that Shane 'Fotografa' site?

I have tried to contact Foto in regards to MB parts I have never heard back from him.

Thanks for the oppurtunity to ask my question.

OP
T

Trippstick

So does anyone have a Service Manual to the 280SLC? I am attempting to do some things and need to know more about the starter motor and the belts specifically as they are currently off the car it would be good to know which belts go where.

I am willing to pay for a Service Manual and Owners Manual if anybody has these?

Thank you :)

sean sherry

Master
Hi Tripp, I gave up trying to get a w/shop Manual for my 280 Sl "81. The best I came up with was a C.D. for the 110 engine and a C.D. for the body for a 380 Sl. from the Net. About $20 each. Even in the U. K .I could not source an English Language Manual . As you know the 110 engine cars were all personal imports into Australia and are known as Euro Spec Cars. Most of the bits for the 280CE s engines are the same but be sure to specify the 185 H P engine, especially getting bits from the U S. Locally, in Sydney , Silver Star Spares are a good source, also $ wise.
A small suggestion to get the motor to achieve its full potential ....
Set the static timing at 12% BTDC all vacuum disconnected, and fit an eighty seven % thermostat. Works well for me........Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Trippstick, good to see you on TK, and it is hoped that you will be able to gain some benefit from the experience of various members of TK. I looked at the pictures with a more than passing interest - firstly, it is far easier to assess a car and its condition, especially when it comes to the interior. By the look of things you have a pretty decent car on your hands, and with its 280 engine, it is actually quite a rare model.

I see from the various posts, you have already been clued up as to where to purchase parts at prices better than those quoted by the parent company. It does pay to look around before you commit yourself. I have also read your various posts, and it is quite clear that you are fairly new to Mercedes Benz ownership. Obviously, any of us with the pre-requisite knowledge will endeavour to assist and advise you, but your location on the Gold Coast does prevent us from assisting you properly, but that doesn't mean that you should not seek advice. However, I would strongly recommend that you join the Queensland Mercedes Benz Club -it is a strong, and well run club, and I am quite certain that membership would be beneficial in your quest to maintain and improve your car.

107s, which is the chassis designation of your car, can be prone to rust problems in a number of areas, and it may well be an idea to have a good 'body man' examine your car for rust issues. Initially however, I would suggest that you get your car running properly. I am not sure how competent of a mechanic or 'do it yourselfer' you are, but again find a 'sympathetic' mechanic that knows the cars well, who will be able to advise you properly. I would probably disagree with Oversize's suggestion to remove and clean the fuel tank - a sizeable and frustrating job in its own right, and possibly not necessary. Again, a good mechanic will be able to test the various fuel and ignition functions. Incidentally, should you ever wish to talk to any of us, feel free to phone me on my mobile, 0428 50 1800 and I will try and advise you as best possible.

Incidentally, I spotted an item of interest in your well appointed garage - a bike - tell us a bit more about it. I have been a fan of bikes for God knows how many years, having owned A Suzuki 850GTS shaft drive, as well as several Montesas and Husqvarnas, including a 500 Automatic. Anyway, it's good to have you on board and good luck with your car. Regards Styria

Last edited:

sean sherry

Master
Hi Tripp , I called in to see Patrick at Merc- O- Matic in Molendinar ( Gold Coast ) on Friday and had a long chat with him of days of Yore. Turns out he is an old School Mercedes Trained Mechanic, Apprenticed in 1980. A very pleasant and helpful guy. Ph.55977456------ 040945573. Sean

OP
T

Trippstick

Hi Tripp , I called in to see Patrick at Merc- O- Matic in Molendinar ( Gold Coast ) on Friday and had a long chat with him of days of Yore. Turns out he is an old School Mercedes Trained Mechanic, Apprenticed in 1980. A very pleasant and helpful guy. Ph.55977456------ 040945573. Sean

Hi Sean,

Thank you very much for this, it is appreciated as I haven't really found anyone that would be half reasonable with their pricing that actually knows a bit about cars, I will probably give him a call and get him to come out and work along side me for a couple hours one day (will pay accordingly) and that way it will be beneficial for us both. :D

OP
T

Trippstick

Hi Trippstick, good to see you on TK, and it is hoped that you will be able to gain some benefit from the experience of various members of TK. I looked at the pictures with a more than passing interest - firstly, it is far easier to assess a car and its condition, especially when it comes to the interior. By the look of things you have a pretty decent car on your hands, and with its 280 engine, it is actually quite a rare model.

I see from the various posts, you have already been clued up as to where to purchase parts at prices better than those quoted by the parent company. It does pay to look around before you commit yourself. I have also read your various posts, and it is quite clear that you are fairly new to Mercedes Benz ownership. Obviously, any of us with the pre-requisite knowledge will endeavour to assist and advise you, but your location on the Gold Coast does prevent us from assisting you properly, but that doesn't mean that you should not seek advice. However, I would strongly recommend that you join the Queensland Mercedes Benz Club -it is a strong, and well run club, and I am quite certain that membership would be beneficial in your quest to maintain and improve your car.

107s, which is the chassis designation of your car, can be prone to rust problems in a number of areas, and it may well be an idea to have a good 'body man' examine your car for rust issues. Initially however, I would suggest that you get your car running properly. I am not sure how competent of a mechanic or 'do it yourselfer' you are, but again find a 'sympathetic' mechanic that knows the cars well, who will be able to advise you properly. I would probably disagree with Oversize's suggestion to remove and clean the fuel tank - a sizeable and frustrating job in its own right, and possibly not necessary. Again, a good mechanic will be able to test the various fuel and ignition functions. Incidentally, should you ever wish to talk to any of us, feel free to phone me on my mobile, 0428 50 1800 and I will try and advise you as best possible.

Incidentally, I spotted an item of interest in your well appointed garage - a bike - tell us a bit more about it. I have been a fan of bikes for God knows how many years, having owned A Suzuki 850GTS shaft drive, as well as several Montesas and Husqvarnas, including a 500 Automatic. Anyway, it's good to have you on board and good luck with your car. Regards Styria

Hi Styria!

Thank you for your kind words and input, yes I am getting a 'rust guy' out and he is fixing anything and everything, I have stripped the car back a lot more since the photo's and he is just going to get everything back in 'as new' condition.

I have recently just had a problem with the no. 2 spark plug being double threaded and snapped at the end. My fears are the no.2 piston have been hitting the Spark Plug, which could be any number of problems, hopefully nothing too bad and hopefully it isn't even hitting the new plugs at all. But in the interim I have to pay $132 to get a guy out to re-thread the hole (not using a heli coil he is going to do it properly for the 'as new' condition of everything that I am going for)

The motorbike you see in the garage is my baby, she is a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Special Edition, which has enormous amounts of power as I have upgraded her significantly from stock with power commanders, straight through yoshi pipe, race air filters, fully synthetic oils, chipped, etc. :D

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, there is something special in going for weekend rides - that feeling of freedom and feeling alive. Mind you, as far as I am concerned, the weather needs to be perfect - not too hot, not too cold. I hope that you get everything sorted on your car, and I'd appreciate if you could keep us posted. Regards. Styria

OP
T

Trippstick

So does anyone know where to get spare engine parts for the M110 185hp engine? As it appears the second piston is a little beat up looking down the spark plug hole (still haven't started her so not sure to what extent) though I am paying for a mechanic to come out and give her a compression test and see if its holding or not, fingers crossed if something is wrong its not too bad, just an inlet or outlet valve and doesn't blow straight down into the sump.

The piston is also clean and has no oil on it (other than a few dents in the head of it) so looks like it could have been not running for a while though the spark plug was beat up and definitely wouldn't have been firing either. I just hope the last owner wasn't stupid and stopped driving.

So anyway fearing the worst does anyone know of a place that sells M110 185hp engine parts?

Thanks people, I am just hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.