My 420SEL

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, after all of my glorious assessments and ravings over my 420SEL, the time has come where I have to re-assess her future, such as it can be. Recently, on turning over the engine on the starter motor, I heard a momentary whatever noise (cannot find the right word), and a quick inspection revealed a hole in the left tappet cover, obviously caused by the dreaded failure of the plastic chain guide.

A subsequent inspection revealed that only one of the rocker arms has a small amount of movement - probably a bent valve. I suspect, and hope, that the other valves have not been damaged. Now, what is my next move ? Not sure, but more than likely I will be parting out the car. There are many good parts that will be difficult to access from other sources.

The interior is perfect, and it has the electrically reclining back seat. The carpets and seats are unmarked. All body panels are straight and rust free. Gearbox is perfect, as is the differential and the drive train. THIS IS A VERY LOW MILEAGE CAR - app. 130,000 kilometres. The fuel system is faultless, as is the electronic ignition arrangement. Think of Ignition Unit, Fuel Divider, cold start valve and warm-up regulator, as well as perfect fuel pumps - the twin arrangement. If anyone is interested, 0428 50 1800 is where you will find me. Regards Styria

N.B. Expressions of commiseration would be welcome and gratefully accepted, as would donations. BTW, I have some service records and invoices for work carried out by previous owner.

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
N.B. Expressions of commiseration would be welcome and gratefully accepted, as would donations. BTW, I have some service records and invoices for work carried out by previous owner.

Time to get out the toolbox and get your hands dirty. Commiserations of course but sorry, no donations....:rolleyes:
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
If its only as you said Styria it would be a good chance to do a de cook thread on your 420.

260ebenz

Master
Sorry to hear you have decided to part with the black 420SEL Styria.

How is the tail light you purchased off me a few years ago?

Good luck with the sale Styria.
:)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry to hear you have decided to part with the black 420SEL Styria.

How is the tail light you purchased off me a few years ago?

Good luck with the sale Styria.
:)

Timmy, those tail lights are still in my spares box, as are some grille bars etc., parts that I purchased new a couple of years ago. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If its only as you said Styria it would be a good chance to do a de cook thread on your 420.

Geoff, you could well be right. The engine never had a chance to turn, let alone run. I turned the key, and there was a simultaneous scraping noise, and the key was off. However, as you would well know, the only way to really find out is to commence some dismantling. Right at this moment, other tasks take preference.

Luckily enough, the car does not owe me that much - three grand less depreciation. If the duco was in better condition, I might play with it - in other words, fix it but I tend to think that dismantling may be the way to go. Pity really - it was such a great servant. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It is sad to read that your trusted 420 will bite the dust.:(

All it needed was Jerry's magic.
And now, maybe a couple of days of solid strip and rebuild on the upper side of the engine.

260ebenz

Master
Styria are there any W126 you would like to sell minus the tail lights?

What a shame I will never get to see the 420SEL in person oh well.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
In around sort of a way, it saddens me to confirm that my 420SEL has found a new home. To me, it was a terrific car, ultra reliable and an absolute delight to have had the car in my possession. Always an unbelievably instant starter at the mere turn of the key, it never missed a bit and it was supremely comfortable to drive for kilometers on end.

The paintwork was rough on account of probably never having been garaged, but the body was straight apart from the left rear door showing evidence of dodgy panel beating, and it was completely rust free - well, to the best of my knowledge anyway. I think it is going to a good home, and I am hoping that the new owner can find the time to repair the damage caused by the break of the chain guide on the left (passenger) side of the engine. Oil pressure was always exemplary - it would hardly ever move from the maximum reading. Regards and good luck. Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
In around sort of a way, it saddens me to confirm that my 420SEL has found a new home. To me, it was a terrific car, ultra reliable and an absolute delight to have had the car in my possession. I think it is going to a good home, and I am hoping that the new owner can find the time to repair the damage caused by the break of the chain guide on the left (passenger) side of the engine. Oil pressure was always exemplary - it would hardly ever move from the maximum reading. Regards and good luck. Styria

I'm glad it has not gone to the wreckers.:)

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Well done on the sale of the 420SEL Styria.

The black W126 has been sold any plans to buy another Mercedes if so which model you choose?

Oversize

Grand Master
My damn tow truck guy rocked up with another one....

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well of course, the cat's been out for a while now, certainly knowledge to the ones I have spoken to, and there has been a brief 'round about" mention on TK - perhaps some of you may have missed it. Our friend Mark, from Oversize fame, has acquired the car and I really hope that he may rectify any issues the car has had, or still has. In the end, mind you, I don't think Mark will lose - he has a perfect interior to play with, perfect gearbox, differential and a host of engine ancillaries, some of which are expensive to procure/replace. He won't lose on the deal.

However, something has taken the place of this faithful servant. It is a 2007 Holden Captiva that's been nicknamed "Cappie" by the one that matters. It is what one could call the bread and butter version, fitted with the 6 cylinder 3.2 litre Holden engine, part time fourwheel drive (governed by front wheel slip or spin, and it is Korean built by Daewoo who, in turn, were and still are owned by General Motors. I should point out that this Holden engine was developed and built by Holden, and was then shipped as a complete unit to Korea and installed by Daewoo.

As the story goes, the Captiva has acquired a fearful reputation on the Internet, and the word "Craptiva" is a description that has been bestowed on the cars. Back in the days of 2005/6/7 General Motors was nearly broke and, according to folklore, development costs could be described as 'minimal available" and accordingly, the cars suffered from lack of proper development. All of this, of course, I was not aware of prior to purchase - it is 'after the ball" knowledge gleaned from the Internet. Anyway, right now, I am keeping "Cappie" and he is doing sterling service (hopefully) whilst Gleaming Beauty will have some sundry matters attended to. For the same of simplicity, I will start a new thread. I understand, of course, that "HE" is not a 107 or 116, but he shares his home with my 450SE and my 6.9 Gleaming Beauty. Surely he can muscle himself into the pages of TK. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
A sad end to a great car! I saved as much as I could for ‘Midnight Express’ my black RUF 560SEL due for EFI conversion. With these parts its black interior will be near perfect!
64783028-6A92-46C1-BD5B-669D11C023D3.jpeg5CC88AE1-1EB7-4D83-B6DF-27A47F8670F4.jpegD60AFBA1-5A83-4CF1-B0A7-FB3E338EB429.jpeg