It's Here...

More threads by Michel

alabbasi

Styria, my seats were so shot that mold ate away at much of the horse hair. Covering them would have meant more then just seat covers so I found a decent set from a 560SL with leather that was in good condition and swapped them out. I then had a local upholsterer redo the jump seats.

I have used GAHH and World Upholstery kits and both are excellent. I have a brand new set of olive green colored leather seat covers that I bought for my first 6.9 and ended up selling before I installed them. They are from world upholstery.

If anyone is interested, I'm prepared to cut a heck of a deal for them.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I am guys, I am...:D

Although I have not sat in the AMG since the Club Concours day!

And I probably won't for another couple of weeks.

But I still open the garage door, look at it and grin....:p

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
So which is faster Michel, in a straight line?

6.9 or 500SL?

That's a good question.:D

I have not pitted them against each other.:p
But from driving both separately , the AMG is a rocket and I feel that it would give the 690SEL a hard time.

You must remember also that the SL has a 4speed auto box, thus a much lower geared first.

SELfor50

You definitely got a lot of car for the money Michel. Very very nice purchase.

Will have to ride shotgun at some point in it. :)

260ebenz

Master
Hello Michel I would like the oppurtunity of a drive in the SL AMG one day please.

Cheers Slim.

Des

That's a good question.:D

I have not pitted them against each other.:p
But from driving both separately , the AMG is a rocket and I feel that it would give the 690SEL a hard time.

You must remember also that the SL has a 4speed auto box, thus a much lower geared first.

AND the SL would be lighter.

ajsimpson

The SL should handle at least a little better then the 6.9, but I would be willing to bet that side by side on a track, the 6.9 would come out on top. It's kinda hard to beat raw power.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I personally feel that a good 500 SL would most probably beat a 6.9 around a track, because it is lighter.

I have always thought that a 6.9 was conceived to be a motorway burner, and that is where it would be better then the 500 SL. It is best suited to transporting four large businessmen in comfort at high speed over long distances in comfort.

That's where the torque of the large engine and hydro suspension is supposed to come in.

Styria

The Godfather
I personally feel that a good 500 SL would most probably beat a 6.9 around a track, because it is lighter.

I have always thought that a 6.9 was conceived to be a motorway burner, and that is where it would be better then the 500 SL. It is best suited to transporting four large businessmen in comfort at high speed over long distances in comfort.

That's where the torque of the large engine and hydro suspension is supposed to come in.

It's a different ball game nowadays. The old 'glossy sales spiel' of transporting four large business men in comfort has long died - nowadays, it's a case of 'four whatever' blue collar workers :D ...and what about dainty lady dowagers or good looking chicks ? They all meet the requirements of 6.9 transportation.
..............in my opinion, the 6.9 would be no match for the 500SL in the acceleration stakes. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
AND the SL would be lighter.

Hi Des, it would probably be lighter, maybe by about 300 kgs. Mind you, believe it or not, an R129 500SL weighs more than the 6.9. I remember an Economy Run some years back, a 500SL shaded Gleaming Beauty's consumption by about two to three liters per 100 kms. - it didn't worry me as I thought I'd beat him on ton mikles per gallon. No such luck, he came out on top quite comfortably. Regards Styria