fORD AND MAZDA

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Did you know that the Mazda 2 & 3 are based on the Ford Fiesta and Focus ?
(AND PROBABLY BETTER BUILT.)
Well I didn't. But I do know that Ford own a large chunk of Mazda.
A global economy after all. And what has that to do with a Mercedes Forum ?
Well the Chrysler Cross Fire is a Mercedes E Class under the skin.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Did you know that the Mazda 2 & 3 are based on the Ford Fiesta and Focus ?
(AND PROBABLY BETTER BUILT.)
Well I didn't. But I do know that Ford own a large chunk of Mazda.
A global economy after all. And what has that to do with a Mercedes Forum ?
Well the Chrysler Cross Fire is a Mercedes E Class under the skin.

Crossfire is an SLK I believe.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Yes, my understanding was Crossfire is based on the Gen I SLK, the 'new' 300 was based on W210 underpinnings (at least suspension and possibly more) and the Ssanyong Chairman is basically a W124 underneath.

abl567

Super Moderator
And didn't they borrow some Dodge SUV technology and development for the first GL range?

B13

Even as far back as 1982 the relationship between Ford and Mazda was well established. Back then it was called "badge engineering" so we had the 323 built by Mazda in Japan and the Ford KA/KB Laser built here. Similarly the FWD 626 was built and sold here as the Telstar. This happened here for a while into the 90s until people wised up and got sick of looking at was essentially the same car with two different maker names on it, but very little different other than slightly changed headlights and taillights.

cf. Ford Falcon XF Ute and Nissan Ute
Toyota Lexcen and Holden VN Commodore

I have a Mazda3 (well, it's wifelys) and it looks and feels nothing like a Ford Focus, which is rather different from when I owned a Ford KB Laser S (for "Sports" - it had factory twin carbs, one of the last mass produced cars with twin carbs) and my mate had a 323. The Ford in this instance did feel more crapily put together but maybe I just gave mine a harder time than my mate did with his 323.

This sort of engineering a model design cross-over allows modern car makers to offer a wider range of cars. Instead of designing 6 models from scratch, they can design three and use blueprints and design elements from other makers models. Ford calls the it the Global C1 Platform, but we better know them as the Mazda 3, Ford Focus and Volvo S40

To me I think it's a good thing. Small production special vehicles would not be possible if they had to design all their models from scratch. Because Ford/Mazda/Volvo pool their talent and share the cost of the big volume seller, we get the low volume seller like the RX8 which probably didn't make Mazda one dollar but it got them a performance car in the lineup they couldn't otherwise have if the profit margin on the Mazda 2, 3 and 6 wasn't so high.

Similarly, I own a FPV GT (a BF2 with the Boss 302 and Tremec T56 6 speed manual) - Yes Brian, real men drive 6 speed manuals - if Ford was not making enough on every Focus, Fiesta and Laser, they could not afford to make these performance Fords which bring the company street cred but don't really sell in large numbers.

Ian.

Last edited: