DYNAMAT -keep your merc quiet and cool

More threads by Parks

Parks

Hi guys I just thought Id post a photo and talk about DYNAMAT sound proofing and heat absorbtion......Dynamat is a company in the U.S that makes sound proofing and heat protection for cars and a lot of other applications and it is used by all the top hot rod builders In America and around the world such as Chip Foose, Troy Trepanieur etc and if you watch shows on Fox such as Overhaulin, Rides, American hot rod etc you would see it being used on those cars......
The Dynamat product in the picture is called Dynamat XTREME, its a black elastomeric butyl based rubber with a aluminium layer on top of it, its approx 1.7mm to 2mm thick and its self adhesive and you stick it to all the sheet metal in your car or where ever you would like to put it, ie, floors, gearbox tunnel, firewall,inside wheel wells etc and it cuts down on noise and heat dramatically and one of the best uses for it is for under your speakers, you simply lay a square of dynamat on the sheet metal and screw your speaker to it and it cuts down on the vibration and sound you lose thru your sheet metal.
As you can see in the picture Ive basically used it everywhere inside this 190sl that im doing at the moment, its goin to make this 190sl a lot more enjoyable to drive, the stuff is really easy to install anyone can do it all you need is some scissors and knife and a tape measure and way you go, and unlike the sound proofing that was in the mercs in the 70's etc thats like half inch thick, dynamat is so thin and twice affective its the only way to go in my opinion........regards parks
P.S if you wanna check out the Dynamat more closely go to www.dynamat.com

19022008978.png 21022008991.png

Last edited:
OP
Parks

Parks

and once your carpet and stuff goes over it you only see it when you lift your floor mats out

forum20pic.png

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
We used a stack of this stuff in a restoration I did a couple of months ago - twas a 1961 Ford Galaxie Sunliner - what a fantastic product!!!

Need a rubber hammer to lay it though... and don't get the tacky side on your good clothes - it is tar and doesn't come off! :eek:

OP
Parks

Parks

yeah Cam a mallet and I bought a roller you can buy from dynamat

SELfor50

Hey Parks,

Could this be used for applications such as a sound booth??
Eg... If I wanted to knock up a cheap sound booth for recording, would this stuff be ok to plaster over the inside of a wooden frame to surround a vocal mic when recording?

Not quite as good as a sound booth I would immagine but several thousand dollars cheaper...

OP
Parks

Parks

Id say you could mate, but id drop Dynamat an email to ask their opinion or have a look at their website, check out their architectural and home section........regards parks.

Last edited:

SELfor50

Id say you could mate, but id drop Dynamat an email to ask their opinion or have a look at their website, check out their architectural and home section........regards parks.

Cheers Mate! Will do..

If they reckon it's the goods, do you ever have any 'off-cuts' left over after interior work that you'd wanna on-sell to me?

OP
Parks

Parks

I would mate if I had some left over, but generally I only buy what I need for a car, It doesnt come in a roll it comes in sheets, like the bulk pack contains 9 sheets 18''x 32'' which is 36sq feet and its only just enough to do 1 car, and cos its expensive retail $299 for a bulk pack I dont have any spares sitting on the shelf.....I actually had to raid styrias pack so I could finish off the 190sl:D regards Parks

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hey Parks,

Could this be used for applications such as a sound booth??
Eg... If I wanted to knock up a cheap sound booth for recording, would this stuff be ok to plaster over the inside of a wooden frame to surround a vocal mic when recording?

Not quite as good as a sound booth I would immagine but several thousand dollars cheaper...

A cheap way of soundproofing a 'booth' would be with plain carpet....
Amazing what u can do... ;)

SELfor50

Carpet's good, egg cartons are really good.

But proper sound proofing foam / padding get's an entirely different sound.

There's sound proofing, and then there's sound proofing for studio mics..
The Mic I got is a $1200 studio mic. This thing pics up a a butterfly flapping it's wings outside. :eek: #### you not...

I'll get onto Dynamat to see what their products like - if the recommend it for this sorta use, let me know before you order some next parks and i'll flick you some coin to order some extra.... That sweet??

Andrew280SEL

I just saw this thread...

I really like the look of this stuff and I'm seriously considering it for the future. I reckon the W116's could really benefit from this stuff.:)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As far as I know I must have several kilos of that stuff in my 690SEL, courtesy of Park and Styria when the interior was replaced and the new carpet and rear parcel shelf fitted.

And, yes.... It is very quiet.... (except for wind noise from the rear view mirrors..

PS.... It isn't cheap..:D

Andrew280SEL

Well that is very good to hear Michel (except for the super expensive part...I still haven't checked prices...;) )

But in any case I reckon it will be worth doing to my cars (or at least, the 280SEL) because it's a little louder road wise than I'd like for a luxury saloon (I love the engine noise though :D).

EDIT: Well, I just checked prices on the site and I just picked myself up off the floor....:D...but anyway, I still reckon I'll do it.

Last edited:
OP
Parks

Parks

Carpet's good, egg cartons are really good.

But proper sound proofing foam / padding get's an entirely different sound.

There's sound proofing, and then there's sound proofing for studio mics..
The Mic I got is a $1200 studio mic. This thing pics up a a butterfly flapping it's wings outside. :eek: #### you not...

I'll get onto Dynamat to see what their products like - if the recommend it for this sorta use, let me know before you order some next parks and i'll flick you some coin to order some extra.... That sweet??

yeah sure mate, but you might wanna see whats best first.....

OP
Parks

Parks

Well that is very good to hear Michel (except for the super expensive part...I still haven't checked prices...;) )

But in any case I reckon it will be worth doing to my cars (or at least, the 280SEL) because it's a little louder road wise than I'd like for a luxury saloon (I love the engine noise though :D).

EDIT: Well, I just checked prices on the site and I just picked myself up off the floor....:D...but anyway, I still reckon I'll do it.

yeah it aint cheap

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, in the overall scheme of using Dynamat, the purchase price is reasonably negligible. What takes time, and money if you are paying someone to do it for you, is the laying of the stuff.

Floor sections are relatively simple, but it gets a fair bit harder when you start putting it against the firewall and all the fittings you have to contend with.

That 190SL, as pictured, has an incredibly difficult gearbox tunnel section and I was not capable of doing it - Parks ended up with the hard bit - the tunnel and the firewall with all its associated holes, grommets etc. I must have looked at that facet of the job at least a dozen times and realized in the end that I couldn't do it economically - just too much time. Of course, what made it harder - there was no material to copy from. Regards, Styria