Disco Panzer

More threads by ProfessorExperimental

OP
ProfessorExperimental
ooouuuuu. Someone else with my rebuild mindset!

Thanks for posting all of this by the way, it's really good to have input from someone with more than my (nearly non-existent) IRL experience with Benzes. So much US-centric or downright confusing information on some things available online, very little on others...

OP
ProfessorExperimental
Ahh ok. I would like to rebuild the 3 speed even if I do end up doing the engine swap (I'd eventually rebuild the m116 too, since it's original to the car as far as I can tell. I'd just keep them stored in case of future preservation-of-automotive-history desires).

I'm conscious of the march of time and impending scarcity of experienced rebuilders so I was ready to do that now regardless, but I guess I may have already missed the boat.

Obviously at 5k on top of the cost of a 722.3 trans if I want to do it properly (and before installing it rather than down the track) the 5L conversion option would be better served with an uprated T5 or so, since originality is out the window anyway...

<pondering>do some of it right, some not... or do none of it right...</pondering>

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Ahh ok. I would like to rebuild the 3 speed even if I do end up doing the engine swap (I'd eventually rebuild the m116 too, since it's original to the car as far as I can tell. I'd just keep them stored in case of future preservation-of-automotive-history desires).

I'm conscious of the march of time and impending scarcity of experienced rebuilders so I was ready to do that now regardless, but I guess I may have already missed the boat.

Obviously at 5k on top of the cost of a 722.3 trans if I want to do it properly (and before installing it rather than down the track) the 5L conversion option would be better served with an uprated T5 or so, since originality is out the window anyway...

<pondering>do some of it right, some not... or do none of it right...</pondering>
There are rebuilds and there are reabuilds too.

A simple reseal (all some rebuilds are) is maybe $3k. Most would replace the clutches too. Bands and torque converter are often extras. I wanted it all done properly as I don't want to have to take that transmission out again.

OP
ProfessorExperimental
Yeah I'd do it the same way as you. That engine and transmission both I'd want to put back in the car only once ;)