450 SE 6.9 #2 Panzer Jager

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

My new ride...

One of only 2 (that I know of).. the other being in America.

A SWB 6.9.

Diff Ratio has been shortened to a 3.06:1 LSD. Custom tailshaft etc...

Interior is Blue MB Text, and all zebrano wood grain.. In great condition too.

DSC00567.jpg
DSC00568.jpg

DSC00569.jpg
DSC00570.jpg

Cam. :)

s class

Who did you buy it off?

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

A fella called Mark, ex MB Mechanic / Techo... Mechanically, the fella really know's what's doin. :cool:

-bb-

Noble
Oh yeah, it moves :cool: The different ratio and the lower weight give it a real rush off the line; something that is lacking from a normal 6.9.

Had a look at it in the metal the other day and Cam has done well for himself - a 6.9 without the BS that comes with the hydro suspension. It is in good cond and the bloke who did the conversion clearly knew his stuff.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi SELfour50, that is really excellent news and good luck with your purchase. The car is probably about 200 kgs. lighter than a standard 6.9, and with the lower (higher) diff. ratio, it is bound to have some decent get up and go.
I'd imagine you'd be well and truly into 6.3 territory, if not better.

Is there a chance of some under bonnet and interior pics ? How did the previous owner handle the dry sump arrangement ? I take it that it is still in place. There is a good friend of SEL69L and myself here in Sydney who has also fitted a 450 diff. to his 6.9, but everything else is still standard. However, he does swear by the improved acceleration of his car, and maintains that the high diff ratio is pretty useless around town and the suburbs. Anyway, would really be interested to see more of your car, whether by way of pics or even in real life. Test Drive mandatory ! :D Regards Styria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hi SELfour50, that is really excellent news and good luck with your purchase. The car is probably about 200 kgs. lighter than a standard 6.9, and with the lower (higher) diff. ratio, it is bound to have some decent get up and go.
I'd imagine you'd be well and truly into 6.3 territory, if not better.

Is there a chance of some under bonnet and interior pics ? How did the previous owner handle the dry sump arrangement ? I take it that it is still in place. There is a good friend of SEL69L and myself here in Sydney who has also fitted a 450 diff. to his 6.9, but everything else is still standard. However, he does swear by the improved acceleration of his car, and maintains that the high diff ratio is pretty useless around town and the suburbs. Anyway, would really be interested to see more of your car, whether by way of pics or even in real life. Test Drive mandatory ! :D Regards Styria

Styria, after I've given PJ a nice wash on the weekend, I'll get some good pics of under the hood etc. The dry sump has been sewn into the front wheel arch.. as per normal.
The diff ratio is crazy, and i'm extremely happy that it's remained an LSD!

The "Tare" on the Rego papers says 1717kg. So... i'm guessing that's not a bad start. Still a few more things that can lighten the process up.
New wheels coming in the next week. And need to get quote for a re-spray.

Let me tell you, if you tramp it from a stand still - you end up smoking it across the lights and all the while leaving ricers behind. :cool:

It's niiiiice.. :D

Lukas

Congrats on your new acquisition. The Gold one you were thinking about is in need of significant work, so this one looks like a much better deal in terms of "RTD" (ready to drag).

We should start our own car club - the Canberra 6.9 Society.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Congrats on your new acquisition. The Gold one you were thinking about is in need of significant work, so this one looks like a much better deal in terms of "RTD" (ready to drag).

We should start our own car club - the Canberra 6.9 Society.

Thanks mate, we'll have to meet up and talk oils.. :)
I may still consider taking the gold one off your hands.. a little further down the 'track'...parts wise. :confused:

For sure! We're starting to get a collection of them for the small country town that we are! :D

How's the blue one going?

Cam.

Truls

Saw one of these in a german classified,
it was a short wheel base 450 and had the 6,9 badge on the rear.

Can off course not verify it, but now it became clear to me, that it could actually be a short wheel base 6,9.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

I think the one you saw might have been listed as an SE but was really an SEL?

It's not a factory option, and they were never released.. just a custom job.

There's also another on in America.

Truls

Ok, cool.

The one I saw was with the short rear doors in any case.
Was a bit confused, but as if you say it was never released then it could be also just a normal 450 SE with as often optimistic sales advertising.

However your car is really awesome.

Has it been converted to the hydraulic suspesion or is it the normal SE?

best regards

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Truls, any short wheelbase 6.9 is more likely to be a modified Ch. 116 032 450SE, and to be honest, it wouldn't be such a bad conversion. It would knock off about 200 kilos, and especially with a 3.07 differential, it'd be a serious goer. Yep, could be quite interesting. Regards Styria

Lukas

Has it been converted to the hydraulic suspesion or is it the normal SE?

SELfor50s 690SE has the regular springs - his aim was for minimal weight, maximum power/speed/zoom, and no issue-prone hydraulic suspension. Leaving out the hydro suspension meets all 3:)

Lukas

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

SELfor50s 690SE has the regular springs - his aim was for minimal weight, maximum power/speed/zoom, and no issue-prone hydraulic suspension. Leaving out the hydro suspension meets all 3:)

Lukas

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks mate. ;)

Cam.

Lukas

No worries - sorry to speak for you, wasn't sure if you were in transit or not.

Walked past the vehicle described above parked in town yesterday afternoon - very dusty looking too.....

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahaha... only got back yesterday morning. Got to my olds, saw the car and asked them why they couldn't just run the hose on it after the dust storm. :(

Checked all the fluids, no worries there.

But yeah, it feels bad driving it like that. Taking the old girl for a wash this afternoon. :) will feel better then.

Also going to swap over those spark items too, will let you know how I go before the weekend. Either way, I'll have a brand new set of spark plug leads coming with my new engine soon. :cool:

Styria

The Godfather
Hahaha... only got back yesterday morning. Got to my olds, saw the car and asked them why they couldn't just run the hose on it after the dust storm. :(

Checked all the fluids, no worries there.

But yeah, it feels bad driving it like that. Taking the old girl for a wash this afternoon. :) will feel better then.

Also going to swap over those spark items too, will let you know how I go before the weekend. Either way, I'll have a brand new set of spark plug leads coming with my new engine soon. :cool:

Hi Cam, welcome back - do you have your feet on the ground again ? I'd imagine it'd be hard to get to every day mundanes again ! An overseas trip leaves a lsting impression, doesn't it ? Anyway, spark plug leads - what are going for ? Be careful. Get the right ones, or else I may even be able to help you. et me know if you're that way inclined. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather

Hi Peter, too short, but very sweet. Thanks for joining our community. All we need now are some pics and details of your car, and yourself, if you're so inclined ! :D Judging by the avatar, you've got a nice looking 107 on your hands. Regards Styria