Digital Radio

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
What haven't manufacturers adopted DAB+ radio in cars??? Although the sound is compressed, I doubt it'd be worse than MP3 and you have the benefit of helpful info transmitted in the signal.

Tony66_au

I had a huge post and lost it in the bit bucket!

Simply?

They are available OS but simply don't work in Oz mate.

think early days of Digital mobile phones versus Analogue, Digital is all or nothing.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Part of the problem could be that overseas they have DAB, but here it's DAB+. A slightly different format that's and not interchangable. Why they wanted to be different I'll never know! :eek:

On the analogue side there's RDS which provided extra info like title / artist and traffic conditions, but sadly it wasn't really embraced here. And with no compression it would've been the Beta option!! ;):(

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark this is what you were looking for :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks good, thanks Motec! But I think Alpine and JVC need a nudge..... :rolleyes:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark yes they do but until they get their act into gear this is the only choise in Australia at this point in time :D

abl567

Super Moderator
I've moved Tim's post to a new thread in Talking Torque so please delete responses relating to the post so all the ducks are in a row;)

Styria

The Godfather
Could someone please explain to me the advantages of a digital radio ? I understand that the sound is superior when compared to analogue, but what about FM ? Wouldn't that be equally as good ? Also, do you get more stations ? I had a look at the unit (whatever it is ?) that Motec69 referred us to - honestly, I am none the wiser. PLease, pretty please, can someone, anyone, explain ? Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria its a bit like digital tv in that you have more choice each station has about 6 digital channels. Geoff

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks Geoff - so tell me, if each station has (say) six digital channels, does it merely mean that I have more to choose from ? I mean, what are the advantages ? I am looking at my situation where I have dozens of music CDs and, together with a stacker of six, I can have almost eight hours of music - if it is music that one would want. Why would I want digital radio ? Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
GREAT SOUND
Digital radio delivers better sound quality than traditional AM and FM radio.

BETTER RECEPTION
Digital radio offers interference-free, digital-quality sound. The digital radio receiver locks onto the strongest signal in your area to provide crystal clear reception.

MORE CHOICE
As well as its existing stations, the ABC is offering three new music stations—ABC Dig Music, ABC Country and ABC Jazz, the ABC Grandstand sports channel and special event radio stations. More stations will be on air on digital radio over time.

EASY TUNING
No need to remember your favourite station's frequency. You can tune by station name. Simply scroll through the list of stations and with one touch, you're tuned and listening to your ABC.

PAUSE AND REWIND
Some digital radio receivers are able to store the program you're listening to and let you pause and rewind the program for a few minutes. It is also possible to store it for later listening via a memory card. No need to miss the news, sports results or weather. Just pause and rewind.

ON SCREEN INFORMATION
Digital radios have small screens which can display program-related information, such as 'now playing' details, in text and—on some receivers—graphics. News headlines, weather details, traffic updates and so on can also be provided on-screen.

The above comes from the ABC website.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I disagree re the quality Brian. DAB+ does have a degree of compression which is worse than CD, or analogue FM. Downloaded music for MP3 and iphone has even more compression than DAB+ and is therefore pretty poor quality. DAB+ is more than acceptable in a car and most people wouldn't hear the difference (they've said that about MP3 too)...

However what I do like is title/artist display, so if you hear something good on the radio, you can then go & buy the CD.