Cooling a 6.9

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Being that I have both Euro & Aust versions of the 6.9 I've noticed some obvious differences under the bonnets. Specifically the electric (thermo, or auxillary) fans & engine oil coolers (or lack thereof). The Euro has a engine oil cooler, but a smaller electric fan. My earlier Aust car (MB1) also has a small electric fan, but no oil cooler. The later Aust one (MB2) has a larger fan & no oil cooler. My question is why? :rolleyes:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I just had a look at my parts car (MB1), which is Aussie delivered & it has a large fan contrary to my previous post; just like MB2 (also Aust del). I can conclude from this that Aust delivered cars had a larger radiator & fan to cope with the higher temperatures.

Euro cars had engine oil coolers to cope with higher compression. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So is anyone with a Euro car suffering from overheating? I think I have the answer..... an Aussie electric fan! You might also consider a radiator with a thicker core. ;)

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I just had a look at my parts car (MB1), which is Aussie delivered & it has a large fan contrary to my previous post; just like MB2 (also Aust del). I can conclude from this that Aust delivered cars had a larger radiator & fan to cope with the higher temperatures.

Euro cars had engine oil coolers to cope with higher compression. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So is anyone with a Euro car suffering from overheating? I think I have the answer..... an Aussie electric fan! You might also consider a radiator with a thicker core. ;)

My 690SEL is Euro specs and NEVER heats up.
Even on 40C plus days

WGB

I have a Euro 450 and a 6.9 and neither heat up.
Both have good cooling systems with previously cleaned radiators.

My 450 did tend to detonate going up hills and get a little warmer when the ignition was advanced a few degrees but both will cope with being driven in traffic and up into the hills on 40+ degree Western Australian days.

The Australian specs involved a less extreme version of the US specs but they share a similar configuration with lower compression, deleted engine oil coolers with the saved space taken up by a larger radiator and upgraded transmission cooling with the tensioner - idler pulley on the A-C compressor replaced with an auxiliary pump.

Either system well maintained seems to cope with our climate.

Bill

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
WGB what are you referring to when you imply that the US versions were 'extreme'?

Yes I just noticed my Euro was missing the additional trans cooler pump. Interesting.... :rolleyes:

WGB

WGB what are you referring to when you imply that the US versions were 'extreme'?

Yes I just noticed my Euro was missing the additional trans cooler pump. Interesting.... :rolleyes:

I really only meant that the Aussie versions had less smog gear than a US model but that there are similarities and that the aussie version appears to be a derivative of the US cars specs as they were equipped in earlier years although the US cars moved on to use catalytic convertors in teh later models.

It is possible that the extra smog gear caused the engine to run hotter so the cooling arrangements were changed.

Bill