Citroen XM

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
One of the cars I have long thought interesting is the Citroen XM. There is one for sale locally and within what initially appeared to be a reasonable price range so I went and drove it today with the view to bringing it home.
Instead, I came home and had a good strong cuppa and two Panadeine.
Lovely robust motor, smooth auto trans (replaced a few years ago), sound body, good interior and great fun to drive with its single spoke steering wheel. Take a speed hump in North Sydney at 60kph and not notice it. Very appealing and the Sport Auto mode worked a treat with the car stiffening as it went into corners.
However, if buying one, it might be wise to take the whole packet of Panadeine - and very early to save the inevitable headache with the data dot digital readouts and the wonky Siemmens electrics. I braked and the ABS warning came on, I wound up the window and the globe failure light came on. I adjusted the seat and the dashboard lit up with scrolling displays and digital beeps. I started the car and not an unwannted sound from the engine and not a puff of smoke from the exhaust - but the constant chiming of the 'Wait until the suspension has pressurized' signal drove me nuts eeven after the car had risen to full height and settled down to cruise level - and then for good measure popped up and down again a few times. Nothing a new wiring harness and four new computers would not fix for a month or two but really do I need that kind of angst?
Oh, and the plastic hinges on the glass covering the rear passengers from rain should you open the rear hatch would be bound to break and not be available...but the comfort was supreme.
Damn!!
It is NOT a Benz in quality or planning.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
PS; Maybe a DS23 with aircon and swivelling lights will come along before I actually commit to buying that bloody MkX that thinks it is going to wend its way into my life and bankrupt me....

Last edited:

E200K

Slightly off-topic, but as a boy my parents drove us on a family holiday down to Spain (from London). On this journey I saw a car that I fell in love with - the Citroen DS. I had never seen anything like it before and they seemed to be everywhere. For many years I dreamt of owning one but the closest
I got was a 2CV which, quite frankly, isn't all that close.

The question is, BenzBoy, why the interest in a XM?

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Saw two XM's on carsales.com, one for $6000 with 112,000 klm the other $13,000 156,000 klm. It could be a lot more expensive keeping one on the road than a 6.9.

Styria

The Godfather
Some interesting observations and opinions on everyone's part. One is that I cannot understand BenzBoy's interest in an XM - and this is not meant to be critical in any way whatever. Who really wants an XM, or a BX for that matter, nowadays. Quirky and totally unconventional, but the biggest problem is after sales service and spares - or lack therof. Never mind the prices that one pays for spares, particularly body spares.

About three months ago I met a guy heavily involved with Citroens - if not now, but certainly in the past. He had an XM and I started talking to him at my only, and favourite, wheel alignment place, namely Accurate Wheel Alignment Centre at Sydenham - great people, but that's another discussion. Honestly, this guy never stopped "bagging" the car and especially the cost of spares and unavailability thereof - just about everything was France sourced and based. Certainly an XM would not be my choice, nor would the Xsara - the last named for certain reasons.

DS23 -yes, I drove a 5 speed fuel injected Pallas about thirty years ago (which of you guys was still in Nappies in those days :D) and I was utterly impressed with the torque of its 4 cylinder engine - more torque than a Rover V8. No doubt. Gears were changed without the use of a clutch pedal - all solenoid operated the moment you touch the gear lever. Quite a car - lovely and supremely comfortable, but I'd worry about certain mechanical aspects of the car. I must admit to being quite taken by the car, as I had been with a Lancia Flavia HF at some other time. Maybe, in another post , I should pen some notes on a Citroen 1900cc Xsara Diesel that I drove in Europe on my previous visits. That's for another time. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Why my interest in a Citroen XM? Drive one and you will understand - they are very engaging in a way a Benz can't capture. Service and support is excellent. Electrics are the nightmare - for which we can thank the Germans who made them....:eek: The cost of parts is relative to the initial purchase price which was around $90,000 in 1990.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Why my interest in a Citroen XM? Drive one and you will understand - they are very engaging in a way a Benz can't capture. Service and support is excellent. Electrics are the nightmare - for which we can thank the Germans who made them....:eek: The cost of parts is relative to the initial purchase price which was around $90,000 in 1990.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Maybe I should take back everything I've said - mind you, the quoted price of two grand for a headlight, as quoted by the guy I met, still leaves a somewhat lasting impression in my assessment.

Engaging - more than a 6.9 ? Did the Germans make the computers ? I take it they are the problem. A friend of mine in Sydney owns a Xsara - well, his wife does and some of the service problems and spare parts prices he's encountered are well worth storing in one's memory bank. No XM for me ! A bit like the SM - a kettle of fish of a different nature, but equally as unfriendly, if not more so, than the XM. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A headlamp at $2000 might not be unreasonable considering that the XM lamps were the world's first complex surface lights - and being covered in ABS are most unlikely to break. By the way, have you priced a contemporary Benz lamp unit? You may be a little shocked.
Certainly more engaging than a 6.9 in a Gallic manner.
An SM? Yes, a much better buy - such style and innovation and that motor when it comes on song is enough to make one weep with joy.
The Xsara does not have the same Hydractive suspension. The Xsara is a car produced for the lower end market.
Of course one could always buy an old Austin 1800 and pretend (It floats on fluid!!). :cool:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The Citroen C6 would be the spiritual successor to the XM.

You ought to take one of those for a test drive Professor. ;)

Styria

The Godfather
The Citroen C6 would be the spiritual successor to the XM.

You ought to take one of those for a test drive Professor. ;)

Hi Michel, the C6 is certainly an impressively styled car, and I daresay nothing would really touch it in the price range. You obviously have driven one - do you think you could eloborate a little on its qualities, what you found, how well or badly it compares with some of its nearest competitors and, if you were to want to spend the money they cost (is it about $90k. ?), would you buy it or what would be your choice ? Regards Styria

Martin280s

Over here, Brazil, both the Citroen and Peugeot ranges have become extremely popular. The Citroens with their 'jelly mould' designs are as quirky as ever but seen as a real alternative to the run-of-the-mill Civics and Corollas...and seen as more exclusive han a Ford Fusion.

I've always been intrigued by Citroen and the "Goddess (Déesse)" DS being a childhood memory...it was out of date then...sorry Styria but I'm only 38! ;) I used to give it the nickname "Citroen spacecar" as I though it was so futuristic. The Maserati-engined SM was also another masterpiece of design.

Last edited:

John S

Benz-Boy your comment "PS; Maybe a DS23 with aircon and swiveling lights will come along before I actually commit to buying that bloody Mix that thinks it is going to wend its way into my life and bankrupt me...." intrigued me - I too love MkX's, or even better, 420G's.

A great looking car and a joy to drive even now I would imagine. Best of luck with your hunt.

CraigS

I have looked at the SM on more than one occasion, but have not yet found the right example. I did have a DS 21 at one stage, but sold it a short time later as it was not the pristine example that I was led to believe. I do however like the C7.

CraigS

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I bought a C5 this week as a daily driver. Is is one of the older models (2003) but I have to say it is a lot of car for the price ($4500). It is the V6 exclusive model.

Citroen2.png

Citroen3.png

Citroen4.png

Citroen5.png

Citroen6.png

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done!

My niece's husband has one and he loves it (I don't know how... He's a bogan and a mad Ford lover!):rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
Well done, Craig. It will be interesting how the car will shape up for you from a reliability point of view. The price is certainly a 'nothing price' - meaning a lot of car for your money. With the advent of the collapse of Damelian Prestige Cars, all Citroen servicing, or a lot of it, is concentrated on a repair shop somewhere over near Lakemba, and that restriction seems to cause delays and frustrations. BTW, if ever you're short of doing things, why not come over for a cuppa - I'd love to have a look at the car more closely. The interior styling reminds me a little of the Statesman and that's not a bad thing. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria,
There are a number of Independent Citroen service centres - andapart from those, there are authorised service centres at Roseberry, Artamon, Roselands, Parramatta, Gosford and Wollongong as well as country areas - so it may not be as bad as you fear.
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!! ;) I've never really liked their style, but they certainly stand out from the crowd! To me they've always been front-heavy like the Peugeots... But certainly very advanced and one day I'd like to have a drive, to test all the hype.

I have seen a DS3 recently and they are VERY stylish, so things are a changing (finally):

http://www.citroen.com.au/home/#/citroen-ds3/

And while I'm on the subject of new cars, has anyone seen a Hyundai Veloster? The LOOK very cool, but I shudder to think how they perform...

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Vehicles/Veloster

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
And while I'm on the subject of new cars, has anyone seen a Hyundai Veloster? The LOOK very cool, but I shudder to think how they perform...

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Vehicles/Veloster

Don't shudder.
I was at the launch a few weeks ago.

It is a very impressive little vehicle that is smooth, powerful and quiet.
It is also very stylish and certainly turns heads.

There wil be a much more powerful turbo version later in the year.

I will be getting a Veloster as a long-term loan from Hyundai for evaluation later this month or early April.

Oversize

Grand Master
In the words of the great Timmy; where's the PICS!!!! ;):D