Batteries...

More threads by E200K

Styria

The Godfather
Hi E200K, to fully charge from scratch (so to speak), you'd just about have to drive your car for the full day. More often than not we are fooled by the fact that you re-start a car after just having run an engine for a few minutes, with the occasional burst of high revs. This works 'just okay' with a battery in good condition, but if a battery does not accept a charge, then you're best to dispose of it.

As BenzBoy states quite correctly, a load test is the most appropriate manner in which to test the battery, and this can only be done with the appropriate equipment. Regards Styria

John S

I mentioned resetting the windows Michel, as they may do some weird things after changing the battery - but they are simple to reset.

The memory needs to be told the up travel limit of the window, so all you do us push the up button, keeping it pressed until it reaches the top then hold it there for a second or two. Once done to each window the automatic up and down operation should work normally once again. The child locks my also need to be reset.

For the sliding roof, with the key in the on position press the switch to lift the sliding roof, and hold the switch for 1 or 2 seconds, the roof is then reset.

Last edited:
OP
E200K

E200K

I mentioned resetting the windows Michel, as they may do some weird things after changing the battery - but they are simple to reset.

The memory needs to be told the up travel limit of the window, so all you do us push the up button, keeping it pressed until it reaches the top then hold it there for a second or two. Once done to each window the automatic up and down operation should work normally once again. The child locks my also need to be reset.

For the sliding roof, with the key in the on position press the switch to lift the sliding roof, and hold the switch for 1 or 2 seconds, the roof is then reset.

That alone might be enough to stop Michel from buying a W210 :D

OP
E200K

E200K

You might be right :eek:

If you are looking for low mileage W210 in as-new condition then let me know. For the right price, windows will be reset for free.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If you are looking for low mileage W210 in as-new condition then let me know. For the right price, windows will be reset for free.

I didn't realise you were selling yours.....
What sort of mileage? colour? and price?

I've been offered a 1996 E230 at the right price.

OP
E200K

E200K

I didn't realise you were selling yours.....
What sort of mileage? colour? and price?

I've been offered a 1996 E230 at the right price.

No, not really planning to sell. The car is like new (apart from the battery) so worth keeping. That said, if you shifted from "right price" to "silly money" then maybe we should talk ;)

Des

No one seems to have mentioned it but for newer cars with radio codes, computer settings, you can buy for around $10 a memory saver that plugs into your lighter with a 9V battery to save these settings while you change out the battery.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des, that would seem like an excellent accessory to have on hand - where would you buy one from - Dick Smith, J.B.Hi Fi ? Anyone else that you could recommend ? Regards Styria

Des

Hi Des, that would seem like an excellent accessory to have on hand - where would you buy one from - Dick Smith, J.B.Hi Fi ? Anyone else that you could recommend ? Regards Styria

Yes I picked one up when I get around to changing the battery in my car as I don't have the radio code for it, nor does the local Volvo dealership.

I just found it on sale at the local supercheap, so I would imagine most auto places like that would sell one.

Do such devices work?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hope so, haven't tried it yet.

:eek:

John S

Originally Posted by Michel - I've been offered a 1996 E230 at the right price.

Michel, the '96 E230 probably has the 4 speed gearbox, while the last of the E230's (98?) has the 5 speed box, a much better proposition. The 230 is also a 4 cylinder, while the 240 is the V6, again much better and smoother than the 230. The last of the W210 E240's engine size was increased in capacity to 2.6 litres, and - depending on what report you read - is either a better or worse engine than the 2.4 (One UK report claimed the same performance as the 2.4 but the 2.6 used more fuel).

However the E230 is an excellent car and very frugal on fuel, if the price is right, why not - but take it for a good drive first to ensure you like it.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Originally Posted by Michel - I've been offered a 1996 E230 at the right price.
However the E230 is an excellent car and very frugal on fuel, if the price is right, why not - but take it for a good drive first to ensure you like it.

I like it John, but It's a week too late. :eek:
I just bought the 500SL AMG and I will wait till the 280CE sells first...

OP
E200K

E200K

Sorry to keep banging on about batteries but are Marshalls any good?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sorry to keep banging on about batteries but are Marshalls any good?
A Big W quality product in a Benz? Bite the bullet and buy a real battery....;)
A man who uses Dodo Juice would not be seen dead with a generic battery in his Concours-quality motor vehicle.
Serioulsy, any battery will survive until the end of its warranty if you use the car regularly. On the other hand, I usually get about 10 years out of a battery so a real one is cheaper in the long run...
Oh, OK - I'll be more helpful. Have a look at this site: http://www.mmbalmainauto.com.au/batteries.html
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:

Des

A mechanic once told me that its important to always have the biggest and best battery you can afford in your car.

As with a cheapo battery you are only robbing Peter to pay Paul,

A half worn out, or cheapo battery is putting more work on your starter motor, the engine, cranking over.......woahh...wooah...woahh before it fires up. Surely that is not doing these parts any good. This was his story and he wasn't selling me anything, so had nothing to gain.

I can only offer positive comments regarding Bosch batteries, buy a good battery and it will look after you in the long run.

"remembers the time I left my headlights on once for well over an hour and could still start the car again"

;) :D

Des