Batteries...

More threads by E200K

E200K

Looks like the battery on my W210 needs replacing - it's 10 years old and won't take a charge. I might also get a new one for the W126 while I'm at it.

Does anyone know a good mobile service that will come out to my home and replace them? The cars don;t get used much so is there a particular battery that may be better for them or should I just look after each of them with a trickle charger?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Based on my own experience I would advise against the NRMA battery service unless there is not other choice. Their batteries are ordinary. Look for Optima, Yuasa, Century or Bosch and install yourself. A trickle charger is always useful.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

260ebenz

Master
G'day Simon,

How annoying when you have a flat battery!

Supercharge battery is the way to go Simon I have one fitted to the 260E and also had one fitted to my old 230E and both batteries have been excellent.

How did the Soccer (Football) go today?

Cheers Tim.

OP
E200K

E200K

Sounds like a novice question but how does one fit a new battery? What precautions need to be taken?

260ebenz

Master
This is my opinion and I am this is a amatuers opinion when it comes to removing and fitting a battery.

I believe you have to disconnect the two Male and Female battery terminal cables make sure the ignition is switched off and remove the flat battery.

Then fit the new battery re-connect the Male and Female cables to the battery and hey presto new battery connected and your set to go!

I maybe right or maybe I am wrong about this??

But I had a go at answering your question.

Cheers.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I suggest that if you have not changed the battery before, you watch the following video - but before you do:
1. Make sure you do the negative terminal first when removing and the positive first when installing - and make sure your spanner does not short the battery or short the positive to the body of the car.
2. Do NOT hammer the clamps on when installing the battery. If the fit is too tight, spread the jaws of the clamp.
3. Use fine emery paper to clean the inside of the clamps before placing on the new battery.
4. When the job is complete, lightly smear battery terminal dressing, or petroleum jelly, on the finished clamps to protect against corrosion.
5. If in doubt have it done by an autoelectrician who will also check your charge rate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kO06j2QAvU
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
BenzBoy your post sounds much better than mine.

Anyhow like I said I had a go at answering Simon's question.

I will brush up on my battery re-charging and battery replacement skills.

Cheers Tim.

John S

The battery is under the back seat in the W210. There is two clips holding the seat in place, one on each side of the rear seat that push in when you go to lift the seat, a very easy removal system.

Note that you will need to reset all the windows plus the radio once the new battery is installed, so don't be surprised when some things initially don't work as per normal.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Note that you will need to reset all the windows plus the radio once the new battery is installed, so don't be surprised when some things initially don't work as per normal.

How do you reset windows John?

John S

The battery is under the back seat in the W210. There is two clips holding the seat in place, one on each side of the rear seat that push in when you go to lift the seat, a very easy removal system.

Styria

The Godfather
What a funny thread ! :D I love it. Yep, JohnS, how do you re-set windows ? Would you have them in the open or closed position when, ahem, re-setting ? Don't be shy to tell us.

What wonderful progress to have the battery located under the seat. Now lemme see - battery under the back seat. How retro ! My very first car I ever owned, a 1956 ROVER 90 had its battery located in that very same spot....and what a pain it was to remove - it was heavy, awkward to get to, but at least Rover had the right idea and that was to keep batteries away from the heat of the engine. Both the Rover 3 litre (1959-1973) and the Rover 3500 (P6 - 1963-1977) had their batteries located in the boot of the car.

E200K - I have some sort of a contact with Supercharge Batteries. I reckon they are the ones to buy as I can testify to their quality and longevity, but you'd need to tell me exact specifications of the type that you would require. I should be able to save you a couple of dollars. Yes, you may have to re-set some functions in your car. Anyway, if I can help you, let me know - you have my mobile number. (Haven't you ?)

Timmy champ, you're going great guns - you do not have to justify yourself. You are contributing in a useful and practical manner and that's all that counts. Plus your procedures advocated are perfectly reasonable.

Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
What a funny thread ! :D I love it. Yep, JohnS, how do you re-set windows ? Would you have them in the open or closed position when, ahem, re-setting ? Don't be shy to tell us.

What wonderful progress to have the battery located under the seat. Now lemme see - battery under the back seat. How retro ! My very first car I ever owned, a 1956 ROVER 90 had its battery located in that very same spot....and what a pain it was to remove - it was heavy, awkward to get to, but at least Rover had the right idea and that was to keep batteries away from the heat of the engine. Both the Rover 3 litre (1959-1973) and the Rover 3500 (P6 - 1963-1977) had their batteries located in the boot of the car.

E200K - I have some sort of a contact with Supercharge Batteries. I reckon they are the ones to buy as I can testify to their quality and longevity, but you'd need to tell me exact specifications of the type that you would require. I should be able to save you a couple of dollars. Yes, you may have to re-set some functions in your car. Anyway, if I can help you, let me know - you have my mobile number. (Haven't you ?)

Timmy champ, you're going great guns - you do not have to justify yourself. You are contributing in a useful and practical manner and that's all that counts. Plus your procedures advocated are perfectly reasonable.

Regards Styria

Thank you Godfather see you at the Concours.

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

OP
E200K

E200K

Thanks for the replies. Another question... If the trickle charger won't charge the battery (after a week there is just about enough charge to start the car) is there any point in taking the car out for a 40min drive to try to charge it? In other words, is the trickle charger supposed to fully charge the battery?

OP
E200K

E200K

Michel, I think you need to close the windows and then hold each window switch in the up position for about 10 seconds.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Thanks for the replies. Another question... If the trickle charger won't charge the battery (after a week there is just about enough charge to start the car) is there any point in taking the car out for a 40min drive to try to charge it? In other words, is the trickle charger supposed to fully charge the battery?

Probably not much point taking the car for a run to charge the battery. Just buy a new battery. The only way you know for sure is to measure voltage drop under load but if your trickle charger is working then I would say your battery needs a decent funeral.... go and buy a good deep-cylce battery such as the Optima or Bosch and forget about it for another ten years. That will give you time to reset your windows.
And another advantage - you can dodo juice your battery tray while the battery is out. :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
E200K

E200K

Probably not much point taking the car for a run to charge the battery. Just buy a new battery. The only way you know for sure is to measure voltage drop under load but if your trickle charger is working then I would say your battery needs a decent funeral.... go and buy a good deep-cylce battery such as the Optima or Bosch and forget about it for another ten years. That will give you time to reset your windows.
And another advantage - you can dodo juice your battery tray while the battery is out. :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have a good buddy who I have known for more than 40 years, who owns a property near Dunnedoo. On that property which is fairly islolated, a gen. set is a must. He never buys batteries for the gen. set but picks old dud batteries via roadside shopping.

I suspect Styria knows to whom I am referring, because they both used to live in the same street in Wahroonga.

He manages to refurbish most of his roadside acquisitions from totally dead.

Firstly, he checks them to make sure that the plates do not touch, to create a dead short. If they pass this test, he brings them back to life. He then empties all of the electrolite from them, and refills them with fresh electrolite and charges and recharges them several times, then empties all of the electrolite and refills them again with fresh.

The refurbished batteries then take a trip to his property, and serve a renewed life until they ultimately fail altogether, when they are brought back to Sydney, where they are responsibly disposed of.

Their renewed life can be as short as 3 months, or as long a 5 years. The main reason for this is that the plates have had some of their metal flushed away, and they can warp more easily.

The gen. set itself is located about 50 metres from his house, so there is not an explosion or fire hazard.

Such batteries cannot be used in cars, because their lifespan can be very problematical, but if used in a battery set of perhaps 10 or more, with current and voltage regulation, on the whole set, they are fine.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel, I think you need to close the windows and then hold each window switch in the up position for about 10 seconds.

Very exciting news. :confused:

That alone might stop me from buying a W210 :eek: