Batteries ain't batteries...

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Until this morning I have had an NRMA battery in the Spirit and it was showing signs of failure so I replaced it with a German-made Bosch. The remarkable change is that the motor idles more smoothly and the electrics run better - the fan speed is higher and the windows quicker. The explanation from the auto-electrician is that the output from the NRMA battery was marginal despite being the correct nominal rating.
Fair enough - I did not expect such a measurable improvement in engine idle!!!
Food for thought. R-R and Bentley recommend only 2 battery brands: Bosch and Yuasa (Century in Oz). Now I know why.
The battery in my ML is now 10 years old and going strong - batteries ain't batteries apparently.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Until this morning I have had an NRMA battery in the Spirit and it was showing signs of failure so I replaced it with a German-made Bosch. The remarkable change is that the motor idles more smoothly and the electrics run better - the fan speed is higher and the windows quicker. The explanation from the auto-electrician is that the output from the NRMA battery was marginal despite being the correct nominal rating.
Fair enough - I did not expect such a measurable improvement in engine idle!!!
Food for thought. R-R and Bentley recommend only 2 battery brands: Bosch and Yuasa (Century in Oz). Now I know why.
The battery in my ML is now 10 years old and going strong - batteries ain't batteries apparently.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

I recall you told me about the idle problems you had in the Spirit.
And you commented that my Spur idled smoother.

I run a Century battery, now you know why:p

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You have been through quite a number of batteries in the Spur, I understand, Michel. Any particuolar reason why?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

When I bought the Spur, a new Century battery was fitted.
However, I had electrical problems which made me think something was draining the battery or the alternator wasn't doing its job.
However... we checked everything until we discovered it was a faulty battery.

Nearly two years later, Century very graciously replaced it under warranty.:eek:

No problems since.:D

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
When I bought the Spur, a new Century battery was fitted.
However, I had electrical problems which made me think something was draining the battery or the alternator wasn't doing its job.
However... we checked everything until we discovered it was a faulty battery.

Nearly two years later, Century very graciously replaced it under warranty.:eek:

No problems since.:D
Now that is excellent service from Century-Yuasa.
The NRMA sources its batteries in Singapore and sadly, you don't always get what you pay for as the Bosch was cheaper than the NRMA version...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

260ebenz

Master
I have a Super Charge battery fitted to my 260E so are Super Charge a good battery?

Cheers.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Super Charge is made by Ramcar, a Phillipino company. If it is working and keeps on working then it is good!! If it starts the 260E and keeps doing the job then rest assured it is a good battery.
Regards,
They do not make batteries to fit a Spirit or an ML so I have no personal experience of them.
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Interesting. Batteries is a subject I know a liitle bit about - for starters, I have never yet found a good Apollo battery. Yuasa and Century are the same battery except for the labels that are attached to them. From memory, there is also another called, I think, Road Runner - whichever, all come from Korea (so I have been told) and sold or imported by a company situated at Silverwater.They just whack different labels on the casings.

There was also the time when the 'battery connoisseurs' bought AC-Delco units, and I was one of those connoisseurs. At various times, and quite a number of years ago, they were retailing for more than $300.00 each. Battery Life was surprisingly short lived considering (about three years max.) and I was told, yet again, that they are now also manufactured in Korea. For some two years now I have been buying the Supercharge brand and I have had absolutely no problems with any that I have bought AND supplied. I have a contact with that Company, so anyone that doesn't mind mine making a couple of 'greenies', I should be able to obtain them at a reasonable figure. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Super Charge is made by Ramcar, a Phillipino company. If it is working and keeps on working then it is good!! If it starts the 260E and keeps doing the job then rest assured it is a good battery.
Regards,
They do not make batteries to fit a Spirit or an ML so I have no personal experience of them.
Benz-Boy

Benz Boy,

Old battery was 5 years old and needed to be replaced so I did.

I had a new Super Charge battery fitted 4 months ago and the battery has been excellent and it cost $128 from memory will have to check.

I have heard from a fellow Mercedes owners that Super Charge are a good battery and they use Super Charge and are happy with the battery.

Appreciate your advice Benz Boy.

Cheers Tim.

TJ 450

Varta Batteries are also an OEM for Mercedes. You can expect to get 10 years out of these reliably.

Tim

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Cheap batteries in my drive car last 5 to 7 years in my experience. That is because the car is driven at least 4 times a day, every day.

The 6.9 is driven at least once only per week, which is not enough. I used to replace the battery in it once every 18 months to 2 years. Not any more. I had a battery switch installed, and so when the car is idle in the garage, the car is electrically dead. I also bought myself a toroidal ring battery charger, (less than the price of a battery, I might add); this sits on a bench in front of the car. Once a week I top up charge the battery, NEVER overcharging it. Because the battery is now maintained in good condition, top up charging never takes more than 5 minutes. Overcharging a battery can be as damaging as having it at less than full charge. The current battery is now 7 years old, and is as good as the day I bought it.

Styria

The Godfather
Varta Batteries are also an OEM for Mercedes. You can expect to get 10 years out of these reliably.

Tim

Hi Tim, what's the price on those Vartas - if you don'tind my asking. I have seen them at the Supercharge Batteries outlet, and it was the colour of the casing that appealed to me - that Light Blue - it goes with the Petrol Green of Gleaming Beauty ! Yeah okay....what next ? Strange fellow. Anyway, it was a slightly different shape to the Supercharge item (seemkjed longer), it was a lot more expensive (you don't really want to know, he said) and there seemed to be no interest in selling me one - you don't need one of those (he said). Guess the price difference found me being somewhat tonguetied - if you know what I mean. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Cheap batteries in my drive car last 5 to 7 years in my experience. That is because the car is driven at least 4 times a day, every day.

The 6.9 is driven at least once only per week, which is not enough. I used to replace the battery in it once every 18 months to 2 years. Not any more. I had a battery switch installed, and so when the car is idle in the garage, the car is electrically dead. I also bought myself a toroidal ring battery charger, (less than the price of a battery, I might add); this sits on a bench in front of the car. Once a week I top up charge the battery, NEVER overcharging it. Because the battery is now maintained in good condition, top up charging never takes more than 5 minutes. Overcharging a battery can be as damaging as having it at less than full charge. The current battery is now 7 years old, and is as good as the day I bought it.

Well, Ill be ! I supplied it. Is it really that long ? Regards Styria

TJ 450

Styria, the cost of the MB supplied Varta DIN85 version was low $200s from memory. This was from the local MB dealer. I don't what they would retail at elsewhere. They may even be more expensive.

A Century DIN85L that I have had for a good three years seems to be holding up very well in my 6.9. That cost me about $200.

Actually, now that I remember it, I seem to recall WGB posting about the MB battery pricing a while back.

Tim

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tim, at about the low $200s for the Varta, that's an excellent price. Are they sort of a light blueish colour ? For THAT type, I was quoted well in excess of $200.00. Regards Styria

TJ 450

It's a translucent white colour with blue cell plugs from memory. The ones available in the aftermarket appear very different.

Tim