6.9 Muffler MODIFICATION

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
For nigh on fifteen years, no sixteen, I wanted for Gleaming Beauty to be a bit different to your normal, every day run of the mill 6.9. Initially, the 877 Petrol Green seemed to be sufficient to achieve that desire, but when the time came, and the opportunity arose, to attend to rust problems, and paint issues, the two tone colour combination was something I had wanted to implement for probably a couple of years. With the considerable help of Michel, as well as his trusted 'handyman' sidekick Jerry, by means of a loan car (Red Terror) and appropriate rust repair and paint skills, the two tone combination became fruition. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea colourwise, but hey ! better than before and it was something I wanted. Oh, in passing I should mention the "Speedy" rims - what is it they say ? Clothes maketh the man, booties enhance the additional beauty of the female. Well, that's what I say. It's a lot of gobbleduck, isn't it ?

Anyway, another desire was noise - coming out the back end, but I am talking Gleaming Beauty (Silly !). I had already fitted a remarkable looking standard 350 SL muffler a few years ago (genuine), that cost $350.00 to buy, plus fitting. The back end noise (if you know what I mean) was , shall we say, lacking in spiff (meaning roarty), but it was alright - to an extent. So, I walked into a muffler place not long ago, and there was something that caught my eye - a terribly shine "sweep me off my feet" muffler that begged me to put her to good use. Gleaming Beauty ? Sure baby, I'd love you. Now this shiny "thingy" (Benz Boy), was straight through. No convo(a)luted piping, straight in and out, like a fiddler.

So, that's the result of my dreams. Not facing downwards, but straight out, to cut down on internal noise.

GleamingBeautyRestoration001-1.jpg

Just for good measure, it had to look good - to satisfy GB.

GleamingBeautyRestoration002-1.jpg

It sounds a bit like Oversize's Blue Flame - helicopter, here I come. Just magic and when you put your foot dow and rev her out, she's spitting noisy little ball bearings. I am happy. Regards Styria - hope you like my story as it is, after all, just another muffler with a difference.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Very nice the exhausts Styria GB looking very smart well done mate!
:D

Fitted a new exhaust on the 260E just over 6 months ago very happy how it looks and sounds!

Oversize

Grand Master
A V8 is all about that glorious throaty sound and to stifle it by using a standard muffler should be a crime!! Note that I referred to it as a sound, rather than a noise which suggests something irritating, or unpleasant. It's also another word for riceburner!!!!! ;):D

Well done Styria, if it sounds as good as it looks it must be automotive p*rn! I must admit Blue Flame brings a smile to my face everytime I fire her up.... :D:cool:

260ebenz

Master
Test drove a smoke silver 1988 300SE 5yrs ago when I was visiting Albury.

The 300SE had the same style of exhaust you have fitted to GB Styria and for a 300SE 3ltr 6cyl the exhaust note was wonderful!

300SE had a stainless steel exhaust fitted right thru to the exhaust manifold costly I imagine but worth it!

Exhaust fitted to my 260E was not a s/steel unit it was metal would have to check the exact type of metal exhaust was supplied by Carline Mufflers and from memory cost $300 double check to confirm the price.

Old exhaust on the 260E was the original Mercedes unit.

Cheers.

Oversize

Grand Master
Stainless isn't necessary if you drive the car everyday and the whole system gets hot enough to evaporate any moisture. If you don't drive a car sufficient distance to get everything hot, then it may be a good idea to consider stainless replacement mufflers

Stainless extractors, or engine pipes are usually overkill as they're mounted close to the engine, heat up quickly and don't hold moisture. Mild steel for these components is usually sufficient. You'd be better off spending your money on ceramic coating to reduce engine bay temperature, external corrosion and to improve the appearance.

Styria if you're worried about the weight of your wheels you could offset (!) that by removing your spare wheel AND your tow bar. After seeing issues on the chassis of Blue Flame and the boot floor of Red Bull as a result of a tow bar, I'd be very hesitant to use one unless it was vital. Oh and I love your exhaust flange prototype and the tread pattern on those tyres....

Last edited:

Tony66_au

There is nothing as beautiful as a nice exhaust system and I firmly believe that 100% stainless is the way to go, moisture is usually only an issue (As Mark said) with cars driven short distances and LPG and as such ceramic coating is a good idea more for flow and heat dissipation than anti rust properties.

Love the bling system Styria!

WGB

Congratulations on joiningg the noisy ones.

My muffler sustem lets out a lovely warble as well but I do tend to throttle back when passing the constabulary an turn teh motor off if they pull me up.

I have no drumming and the noise is hardly audible with the car shut up but open the sunroof or a window and the difference is immediate.

Bill

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria now you can join the Howitzer party
umg_view.php
Or buy a Varex muffler that allows you to change from closed to open exhaust at the flix of a switch :D

Oversize

Grand Master
Sounds (!) like a great idea, but they're not legal here.... Consult the EPA in your state.