6.9 F/SALE - Victoria

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
From the photos, it appears to be a very nice looking car. A couple of observations and queries from and to the knowledgeable:

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/d0b4c4ee-02e3-4e5c-83b5-1902ead0796c

1. Appearance wise, do the seats look like leather ? Recall the car in Orange advertised not so long ago where the material appeared to be MB - Tex.

2. Looks as though the front door trims are in need of re-foaming.
3. Can anyone see what the rear valance (under the bumper) is like ?
4. Do any of the members know the car ?

Regards Styria

Parks

A few observations...

*the seat pleats dont have any perforations on them ( they are just plain) so might be new interior but not original
*door trims seem to have just a plain piece of leather on it , no perforations either.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Being numbered 1776 would have to be one of the earlier ones.
A 1977 in fact and not a 1978 as claimed.
Unless there was a discrepancy between manufacturing,shipping and Australian compliance.

Tony66_au

The Advert states the following,

Silver strip back to bare metal repaint by professional restoration expert in Glasurit 2K (no orange peel MIRROR FINISH). New leather trim. Revacuum-formed dash. New water pump. Rebuilt starter motor. 2 x New Vacuum Central Door Locking Mechanisms. New RHF door regulator, C/O radiator., radiator hoses, viscous coupling. New Battery. New distributor cap. Rebuilt front end (tie rod ends/ball joints). New front suspension level mechanism. New rear brake rotors & wheel bearings. New front & rear screen rubbers. New under bonnet pad. New Rocker cover gaskets. Complete drive train rebuilt where needed. Mechanically & body PERFECT.

Why oh why wouldn't you buy a set of skins? Instead of making upholstery the detracts from the original design.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
BTW the car is in Geelong and the number comes back to Corio Auto parts 264 Thompson Rd, North Geelong VIC 3215 .

Hi Tony, I am looking at your Avatar - is that somewhat of a sad story ? Or just plain distressing ? :D Never took much notice before. Anyway, getting back to this car in Geelong - I agree with you. Why oh why not carry out the upholstery work properly ? I just don't get it. Also, of course, one should look at the fit of the glove box timber capping. It is way out, in fact, much too far, although it needs to be said that this is a problem caused by timber warpage. More of that later in another thread.

Getting back to the upholstery and some of the 'crap' we have seen. Presently, we still have a 6.3 in my possession that had been fitted with not only 'REPAINTED IN BLACK' leather covers but, whatsmore, this painted upholstery was fitted over the top of the old leather which the trimmer never removed. Can anyone believe that ? With a 280SE 3.5 Coupe, someone fitted beautiful quality GAHH leather trim, but the trimmer never bothered to repack the padding underneath. You couldn't even sit in those seats. There was one further item that took our eye - the rear carpets (new - good quality again) were glued to the flour and guess what was underneath when we peeled back a tiny section ? Rust like you wouldn't believe. Yessiree, that's what can happen. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

My Signature with the cars and their names in it you mean Styria?

Just a running list, Im actually thinning it down even more.

As for dodgy work?

Ive seen horror story after horror story and then at the resto shop I saw even more especially when it came to rust repairs that wouldnt last 6 months and yet cost well over 30k with a crappy paint job.

I have a rule of thumb in these situations, Never buy a value added car from a dealer or someone in the trade unless you know they have impeccable ethics.

So the first thing I did was google the phone numbers, Both of em come back to Corio auto parts new and used parts (A wrecker) and being familiar with Corio (A salubrious part of Geelong :) I assumed the worst especially after seeing the shenanigans with the interior.

Give me an Honest but grubby car any day.

Tony

zixtus

are we being just a bit too critical of cars that are 30 years old...these things are gems...gorgeous machinery from a bygone age..mine can still blow off all comers..SS..GTHO and the likes.....[racetrack] they are......still are..... as far as my foot can feel....the fastest 4 door sedan EVER MADE...why dont we just form an association..or co-op ...a little money from a lot of people....and save them all...place them in secure storage and in 10 years we will get enormous money for them....we can all sit back with fat wallets as others feel that motor....PULL...
lets not be too critical of VERY NICE CARS

Tony66_au

are we being just a bit too critical of cars that are 30 years old...these things are gems...gorgeous machinery from a bygone age..mine can still blow off all comers..SS..GTHO and the likes.....[racetrack] they are......still are..... as far as my foot can feel....the fastest 4 door sedan EVER MADE...why dont we just form an association..or co-op ...a little money from a lot of people....and save them all...place them in secure storage and in 10 years we will get enormous money for them....we can all sit back with fat wallets as others feel that motor....PULL...

Im not being critical of the car as the basic nature of it hasn't been changed, what I am commenting on is anomalies in its claimed restoration and questioning why they chose to go the route they have.

I have spent thousands of hours looking over and re doing cars that have been "Professionally" restored with phrases such as "No expense spared" and "Glasurit" bandied around like mad.

Ive also seen 50k pro restorations of cars with significant historical value come back with rust in repaired areas 6 to 12 months down the track and these were often cars restoed as a commercial effort to maximise return on sale when they should have been sold in their original condition for perhaps 20 k less and left to the purists to do the right thing. (And I have an extensive personal picture library showing what lies beneath from my time in resto shops)

The sale of this car is a business sale, and more often than not these types of cars are "Glammed" up by people who don't really know the cars and where there is little or no provenance.

Which is why I suggest any potential buyer adopt a Caveat Emptor approach.

Cheers,
Tony

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Nice to have you back 'on-air' zixtus!

What a great thought. And I often dreamed of something like this.
I have a mate who is involved in Chevrolets to such an extent that he will salvage any Chev he can get his hands on.
He has a property on the way to Orange and has stored in excess of 300 Chevs in various conditions.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Zixtus, there is a fellow by the name of Peter Herscheid at Anna Bay (Saltash) who is known world wide for the collection of Mercedes Benzes he has stored on his property. He'd have to have at least fifty, but a lot of them are just rusting away.

Your idea of buying up these cars (116s ?) is a great one, especially if you have the money and space at your disposal. One other small matter - age. At my age, I look to slowing down, and not building up, therefore I would pass up opportunities that would come my way.

Regarding criticism being levelled by some of us, including myself from time to time. It is true we are dealing with cars at least thirty years old, but that has no bearing on condition, especially if considerable work both Interior and Exterior wise have been carried out and are advertised in a certain manner. It is important to do it "RIGHT" especially if various claims are made regarding quality of the work carried out, which then, in turn, is accompanied by 'appropriate' price levels. Let's face it, $15K. to $20K. for an old car deserves good workmanship. So, please understand - I don't think we're knockers, but just realists.

BTW, still looking forward to chinwagon 'bout breedin 'em horses. Remember Star King, Phalaris, Scapa Flow, Hyperion, Noholme, Sky High, Biscay. You make the time. :) Regards Styria