$22. 11 well spent

More threads by Jimb

Jimb

Distinguished
I received and fitted my new radio today FM usb/Sd/MP3/BLUETOOTH. 4X 60 WATT CHANNELS. HANDS FREE. What more do you need!. I know some will frown on this purchase but I am very happy with it. Relating this to my cradel questions. This came with a cradel. I could then see what my problem was. Some one in the cars dim and chequered past with hands the size of a pair of large dinner plates must have fitted a wider radio and butchered the radio cut out ripping of the side lips of the opening. This is why I could not understand what kept the radio in there . There was no way of mounting a cradel in there!
I overcame this act of pure butchery by making up two wooden blocks and managed to screw one in on each side. I was able to do this because the transmissin hump is timber lined. I was then able to put scews into the wood blocks to secure the cradel. I cant believe I was able to buy this for $22.11 cents this included delivery by courier. I only ordered this on Tuesday and now two days later all fitted. To me it sounds great I am 72 years old and I might have lost some top end frequency response. Hey! Who cares.
20190725-170649.jpg

20190725-170621.jpg

20190725-170615.jpg

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Top job Jim.

The reason why it was butchered as radios back in the 70’s were slightly smaller than the radios we use today that are all of a common size or standard world wide.
We know it as a DIN
This wasn’t a standard until the mid eighties.
Some cars now have double DIN audio/multimedia systems with large screens.

42273768-B501-4-C83-821-B-E95792-A930-C2.jpg

Earlier radios were slightly narrower, then the front was covered by a larger trim or plate and generally fitted from behind, thus the sides of your slot being removed, they would have fitted a later single DIN audio unit for sure.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hi Patrick.
It ended up a nice tight fit I am very happy with it. It will take a while to set it up the manual is in typical Chinglish. It was getting dark and the dog was demanding his walk. Hope to set it up tomorrow arvo. In the morning I will be out at Shellharbour doing charity work for Food Care. I do that two mornings a week. Monday mornings I do charity work for our Dapto Anglican Church opshop. I test there donated electrical goods so they can sell them. So I am kept busy 3 mornings a week. But at times I still get board I don't like sitting back in the chair staring at the ceiling this car has and is soaking up some of those surplus hours and emptying my wallet.
Kind regards Jim.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Hi Jim,
Soaking up the hours is awesome, that’s why I’ve been working on my wife’s childhood pushbike, and some old mowers. That’s the fun part.
The emptying of the wallet, not so fun.

That’s a great thing you do mate, well done, giving up your own time for others, good on you.

The radio does look great in the car, I’m sure now it’s in there all solid, it will be fantastic.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Glad you got it all sorted out Jim.
It looks good in the console.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Thank you Patrick and Michel.
I finished setting it up this arvo all works fine including the Bluetooth. Tried the phone it works well and you can also charge your phone from it.
Kind regards Jim.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Sounds good.
Is this forum reasonably safe to add phone numbers and for that matter email address. There are so many idiots out there we have given up on the home phone. Never answer it just check it for genuine messages or check the call ID.
Kind Regards.Jim.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sounds good.
Is this forum reasonably safe to add phone numbers and for that matter email address. There are so many idiots out there we have given up on the home phone. Never answer it just check it for genuine messages or check the call ID.
Kind Regards.Jim.
I would not recommend doing so. The site is being constantly trawled by spiders and bots looking for personal details. It's a sad fact of life that one needs to be very carful about protecting one's identity.
Regards,
Brian

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hi Patrick and Brian.
Yes I wouldn't have been ringing everyone up. However as Brian pointed out it is sad that the great technology we have at our disposal that was basically designed as a huge benefit to mankind is being used by evil doers.
Regards Jim.

sean sherry

Master
NOW DAYS I CAN'T REMEMBER THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER......SO TODAY':eek:S .TECHNOLOGY.....
BEING HACKED IS NO FUN, AND IS, AS I NOW UNDERSTAND, IMPOSSIBLE TO PREVENT, AFTER HAVING HAD $3000 CHARGED TO MY MASTERCARD MOSTLY IN MELBOURNE. MOST PROBABLE REASON IS A DISHONEST EMPLOYEE. EG HANDING YOUR C.C OVER TO A WAITER TO PAY YOUR BILL . TAKE YOUR CARD UP TO THE CASH REGISTER TO INSURE THAT IT IS NOT COPIED. THERE WERE FOUR OTHER POSSIBILITIES WHEN I GOOGLED THE QUESTION.....
NEW CARD ISSUED .. BUT A PAIN TO CANCEL AUTO PAYMENTS ETC. ETC.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hello Sean. and Bryce
Sean sorry to hear about your experience I know this type of thing happens, I just can't get into my head how people can do that type of thing and sleep at night. I tend to be very nieve and trust people more than what's good for me. Fortunately this has not happened to me but it serves as a timely reminder..
Thanks Bryce I am very happy with it and I now have something usable in the space. I was thinking about repairing the Becker unit however it would have been close to useless.
Down the track I will need to replace the original Pioneer rear speakers they are sun damaged on the left rear speaker I have had to patch the cone it had rips in it and bit missing it will do for now. I might have a look around a wreckers yard and see if there is anything better..
Kind regards Jim.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hi Patrick.
Outer rim diameter is 158 mm they are the original pioneer TS167 Speakers so they have had 45 years of baking in the sun.
Regards Jim.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hi Patrick.
Yes the postage was a bit steep.
I will leave it for now,the patched speaker is working good enough for the time being. Wife going in for major spinal surgery next week I am sure our piggy bank will be heavily atacked, so cannot justify the expense of replacing the speakers at the moment.