The new ML

More threads by BenzBoy

Patrick_R

Grand Master
6 Speed Manuals indeed Brian..... How about an 8 Speed CVT in my new Mitsubishi .
Using the Manual Pedals on to shift up and down there are 8 distinct Shifts. The up and down shifts in Automatic Mode are indicatable. Smooth as Glass ( or a new born baby's Bum )
That’s a lot of gears Sean.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I am quite happy with my ability to use and enjoy a manual gearbox - and there is a real satisfaction with being able to use a non-synchro box precisely and smoothly. Modern motorists simply do not experience the art and science of using such a box and most would not know how or when to change a gear.
BTW, the E350 Coupe has 9 gears and rather redundant paddles - just put it in D and let it do the thinking but don't tell me that there is any satisfying level of engagement with what is happening mechanically or electronically.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
:cool: Can’t agree more Brian.
All my nieces and nephews cars I have bought for them over the years are manual.
They enjoy their cars more.

I really need to bring an 18 speed non synchro box for you to drive Brian.
You could pretty much say, you have driven them all then.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
:cool: Can’t agree more Brian.

I really need to bring an 18 speed non synchro box for you to drive Brian.
You could pretty much say, you have driven them all then.
May I suggest bringing one of ‘those’ to a TK GTG at my humble workplace at Prestons.
We could all have a go 😁
Jerry would be more than happy to feed us some of his BBQ delights!
I’m in town most of July and August.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I will endeavour to do so Michel.
The build of straight RoadRanger manuals now is about 1 in every 200 builds.
Generally these would be destined for WA delivery.
But I will keep an eye out.

sean sherry

Master
Yes and Yes Brian.. I can drive a Truck non Syncro.... I well remember rebuilding a 4 speed "Crash Box "
in a 140's Ford V 8 in Melbourne in the late Fifties. Parts were in Stock ... drove like a dream .

Patrick_R

Grand Master
How hard can it be?
Revs
Torque
Throttle position
Do not push clutch to far as the clutch brake is engaged (stops input shaft from spinning to engage a gear when stationary as there are no synchros to do this)
Range change switch
Splitter switch
Gear stick or gear cable wear to take into account
Up hill
Down hill
Flat

Here is a bit of a brief on a clutch brake.

I’m sure we have all driven an older car with a non synchro first or reverse where it is very hard to engage those gears when the oil is cold and thick in the transmission.
A clutch brake would have been good, but I have never seen them in cars.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
How hard can it be?
Revs
Torque
Throttle position
Do not push clutch to far as the clutch brake is engaged (stops input shaft from spinning to engage a gear when stationary as there are no synchros to do this)
Range change switch
Splitter switch
Gear stick or gear cable wear to take into account
Up hill
Down hill
Flat

Here is a bit of a brief on a clutch brake.

I’m sure we have all driven an older car with a non synchro first or reverse where it is very hard to engage those gears when the oil is cold and thick in the transmission.
A clutch brake would have been good, but I have never seen them in cars.
In years gone by. one of my Rover P5 3 litre Coupes did not have synchromesh on first gear - come to think of it, none of the P4s I have owned, such as Rover 90 (my very first car I ever owned), nor my 1959 - 105, as well as a number of Rover 100s (1960-1962) had no synchromesh on first. You really had to come to a full stop prior to engagement of that gear (quite whiney once on the move), but the preferable option was to start off in second gear - the engine had no problems coping with this method.

On the later P6 3500S and also manual 2000s (the norm), it was not uncommon to experience crunching from the gears when engaging reverse. The secret to avoid the "crunching" was to engage second, and then straight into reverse. The crunching referred to herein invariably resulted in severe pitting on the layshaft reverse gear cog. The layshaft was one piece, with all gears fully machined. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Yes,
A great trick Styria, select second gear, before first or reverse.
First gear is whiney due to the fact the gears were straight cut gears.
A straight cut gear, or a spur gear only has one point of contact and very course when engaged, and very weak due to the single tooth contact.
Helical gears have many points of contact the surface area of many teeth are in contact thus stronger and quieter as the teeth are finer.
00956F14-1401-466D-B689-62682B063D28.jpeg64A23B77-1639-405B-A3FF-7C00EB7AA323.jpeg

Styria

The Godfather
Good illustration, and pertinent description, Patrick. From information gleaned in various Rover publications, particularly relating to mechanical development issues, the effective working life on the Rover 3 litre's first gear was sixty hours. Tractor terminology I say. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Wow,
Not long at all Styria.
Amazing things like that even went into service.

At the other end of the scale, we have what we call crawler gears for super heavy loads (250 tonnes) that can do a maximum of 2kph at full torque revs of 1450 rpm out of a 16 litre 700hp truck while using 1 litre of fuel to travel 900 meters.
These gears would do 60 hours service in a couple of heavy haul trips.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
At the other end of the scale, we have what we call crawler gears for super heavy loads (250 tonnes) that can do a maximum of 2kph at full torque revs of 1450 rpm out of a 16 litre 700hp truck while using 1 litre of fuel to travel 900 meters.
These gears would do 60 hours service in a couple of heavy haul trips.
And then you need to replace them?😲

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Lol
No
These are designed for hundreds of thousands of hours mate, or many millions of k’s :cool:
I think that was a reference to the rover first that if I recall correctly even the owners manual says to start in second for normal driving. 1st being for steep hills/towing etc.

Not unlike a Citroen berlingo I drove once. I had to get used to starting in 2nd as 1st was so short it was useless for normal use. But given the berlingo is a delivery van I am sure it would have been useful on a hill with a full load.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
That would be a good reason to have such a low first gear Bryce.
Some cars certainly are not thought out well, or only use certain components allowed?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Gearboxes are over rated just crash and drive . Oops i said that out loud and i love driving manual cars