The new ML

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You must be wondering why I have not mentioned anything about the new ML - and Patrick will be hanging out for pictures. Patrick loves car pictures!
The answer is simple - I brought it home and sent it straight to Paradise for a complete service - check the computer codes etc. and change all all fluids including brake fluid/radiator fluid - service the transmission etc., change the belts/brake pads etc. so I have a known base for the vehicle. It's getting a new rear LED tail lamp fitted and some minor odds and ends replaced such as the sunroof switch. While it is at Paradise the dent removal chappie will remove a couple of minor dents and after that it will probably go to Jerry to get the bumpers repainted. It will need tyres soonish so I will do that straight away and then it can come home for a bloody good clean as it stinks very badly inside of cheap air freshner to cover the smell of cigarette smoke. It needs to be clayed and polished and the excessively dark window tint must go!
I called in to Paradise today to check on progress and there were no nasty surprises to report - no accident damage and nothing significant to fix other than what I picked out during the negotiations and then loaded into my assessment of how much to pay.
It will probably be another week in dock as most of the mechanics are on holiday and those that are at work are beavering away on Rolls-Royces and Bentleys - and fit in the ML when they have free time.
More to follow when the ML finally comes home.
regards,
Brian

Last edited:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Congratulations Brian,

Of course your meticulous list, and needs will ensure this new ML will be top notch.

Pictures?
Who me?

Yes,
I will be looking forward to seeing this new beauty when you see fit to unveil.

Again, congratulations on finding something that suits your needs.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Patrick - the main criterion, apart from 100% reliability, is that it carry the dogs in safety. The ML is one of the very few cars for which one can purchase dog retaining nets to stop them flying around the cabin in an accident. I made a serious error in selling my original ML and I regret that very much. Most people put their dogs in the rear compartment and that leaves no room for dog trollies and has the distinct problem of squashed dogs in even a minor rear-end crash. With the ML they can travel in the middle compartment with a safety net fore and aft of them for some degree of security. OK. I could put them in seat belt harnesses but my dogs are rather too lively for that.
Range Rover used to make a similar "dog kit" but have now dropped it from the options list - the Volvo V70 (and some XC90 models) used to be a favourite of dog people because you could get a similar setup to the ML but then Volvo went all oriental and fancy and omitted that option. VW has similar kits but not for Australian cars. Thus, the ML and its successor models were the only possibilities. Why you ask does M-B do these pet barriers? Because their SUVs are American and Americans love their dogs and will litigate against a manufacturer who does not provide for their transport. At any large dog show on the European Continent you will see a vaste array of American SUVs from GM and Ford that are set up this way but we don't get those models here. You also see large numbers of Winnebagos where the dogs have their own rooms.
Regards,
Brian
PS; Pictures Patrick after I have used our special and secret cleaning/polishing weapn.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes,
The secret weapon will ensure the new ML will look its best for the photo shoot.

Very interesting insight into the dog show world and their preferred transport and the safety involved.
I will need to do some study on this, as it is very interesting.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Congratulations Professor on your new purchase. 🙏
I look forward to seeing it in the metal 😃

Styria

The Godfather
Well Benz Boy, you are certainly going about things the right and meticulous way and the car should prove a real asset to your various activities. I will not be so impolite as to ask you what you paid for the car, but I would be interested in date of manufacture and mileage travelled. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hello Styria - 2009 and 150,000 kms. Let's say that the purchase price was far less than the asking price. The seller had a live buyer and was keen to sell. Suffice to say that some MLs at twice the price still had issues that could prove expensive and I wanted to avoid the later models with Airmatic - it improves the ride but is expensive to repair and must be done with genuine parts as the generic throw error codes.
I bought it being aware that there were a number of ancillary items in need of work but satisfied that it was structurally sound and that the engine/gearbox/brakes were all good. Paradise has confirmed that to be so.
Replacing the O rings on the oil filter is a fairly time consuming job because of the need to remove so much around the cooler buried deep in the valley and that plus tyres will be the major costs.
It's all a gamble though as one only knows the true condition after several months of use. That is, I really won't know the true condition until I have used it a lot more.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
BenzBoy, thank you for those details. I am a little surprised at the age of the car, but I am sure that you would have taken all that into account before you planted your hard earned cash. I bought Cappie (my Captiva) with 112K. on the clock, and it is now up to 215K. It's been a great car and I hope that you will get similar good service from your ML - BTW, 270? 320? Petrol or Diesel ? Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
ML320 V6 diesel. Part of the attraction was regular verified oil changes. One I looked at of a similar age had 3 vefied oil changes over the same period! Bt the way, it has only one role to fulfill; that of dog carrier so that will limit the mileage it is expected to do.
Regards,
Brian

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Oh - I think you may have missed them. Damn - I have been using it and now it is filty dirty and I guess you want me to clean it for photos? Oh boy; life is hard... it still has to have some panel and paint correction.
Let me see what I can do.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Well BenzBoy, after all this time, I hope it will turn out to be a good car for you. I paid $7500.00 for my 2007 Captiva back in September, 2015 with a mileage of a tick over 112K. kms. Presently it stands at 217,137 as at today's date. It has let me down once with a Fuel Pump issue (partially covered by dealer's warranty), and the gearbox has had a major $310.00 service in March of 2020. Fuel Economy is fair only with stop/start driving in the suburbs at 13l./100, but Open Road on two trips to Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay returned 8.8l./100 each time. That consumption compares well with a 2017 Black Edition Commodore V6 that returned 8.5l./100 during a recent Gold Coast and Return trip. The engine in the Captiva is still whisper quiet and uses no oil in six months of use. Regards Styria