Re setting the ECU

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
From the Internet I learned to re-set the ECU and the Transmission on both our W204 c Class cars. Brings the settings back to where they were when car was new. Even so, apparently the settings drift over time as well.
A quick run up the street proved the point . much livelery..
Mr Google,:D you are worth more money !!!

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Modern transmissions are designed to 'learn' your regular shifting patterns.
For the 722.6 sub family of transmissions, a memory stores the last 40 shifts vs revs, which is determined by the throttle state when each shift is made.

The result of this is that if you have driven your car like a wild man, and then you wish to suddenly drive mildly, as determined by the traffic conditions,
the transmission will not change up, until a predetermined amount of time has lapsed.

With my Hyundai i20, the transmission will stay in performance mode for 5 seconds.
Wtih my W202 C280 the performance mode lasts for 10 seconds.

With my c55 AMG, the performance mode lasts for 30 seconds. I can get it back into economy mode immediately, if I use SelectShift manual override and select 3rd gear, then back off the throttle. The transmission just quietly goes back into economy mode. If the next 40 shifts are made with the car driven mildly, it will then force the transmission to remain in economy mode. If I get back on the gas after less than 40 shifts of driving mildly, the transmission goes back into performance mode.
That can be annoying.

The C55 AMG is a performance car.
I would think that the 722.6 transmission used in NON performance Mercedes cars may well have a delay of less than the 30 seconds, but I don't have enough driving experience on other 722.6 equipped cars to say what the time delay between the shifting patterns is.

That is why the transmission has a reset function built into the shift memory.

The reset feature can be found on the internet by Google -
'722.6 transmission reset'.

I have spoken AutohausOne, they say that it does no harm to the transmission. By logic, I would agree with that.

It must be remembered that the ECU reset does not affect transmission fault codes; the reset only wipes the memory for the last 40 shifts.

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
That clears up my understanding of the 722-6 Transmissions. I will look into a:) re-set for the Transmission only , if I am understanding what you point out about the Re-set of the ECU. I would think that like the ECU the Transmission Electronics drift out of sync affecting the quality of the up shifts shifts.

OK, a Google site tells me that a re-set will restore the shift quality as well.
I will re-set both our W204's to see if this is so.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Awesome.

Thanks for this Brian.

I will let the new owner (whom ever he or she may be) know :D
Some will tell you that clearing the memory is sufficient but I don't believe it is. MB is constantly upgrading software and having the latest, addresses any bugs that may have existed in the original or developed through fluff in the software chain. It's rather like reformatting your hard drive every few years - our IT boys at work do it every 6 months.
Regards,
Brian
PS: Once you sell this, how many Benzs will you have left?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Unfortunately the Dealers will always try to sell Soft Ware updates that may or not be relevant to the issue asked about. I am trying to find out if a replacement after market Hi Definition Camera will give a Hi Def. image on the Monitor of my 2010 W204 Elegance with a pop up Screen.
The original reverse Camera picture is very poor. Grey and Dull. The dealer said that it is old technology and nothing can be done about it. ????????

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,

It’s more to do with the resolution of the screen/monitor.
Camera tech has been good for ever, but colour screens are still fairly new as such.
The camera might be good, but the old tech might refer to the low resolution or low pixel count of the monitor or screen.

However the “quality” of the camera can be detrimental.
IE glass or plastic lenses, aperture or f stop rating, image processor and the pixel count.

Most OEM units being fully integrated into the car and the screen will also control other systems thus may not be able to be modified.

That being said,
There are some aftermarket companies that may be able to modify these screens, but sometimes it will effect other systems and the car may even show a fault.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Confined to the too hard basket.... I have reverted to the portable Garmin unit with free updates for Life and which includes the purchase Speed Cameras etc.,
Not of serious concern , just a helpful addition to cope with today's Traffic.
The important things work well......Engine, Transmission, Brakes, and Steering !

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I have a stand alone Bavman unit for same reason. With regards GPS Sean

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,
If you really do need a high res quality reverse camera for you car, you can purchase a camera that wires quite quickly into the reverse light circuit right in the boot, and is Bluetooth and will come up via the app on your phone.

So if you have a high res phone like a new Samsung Galaxy or Galaxy Note the image is awesome.
But it relies on you having the phone in a cradle in the car to see.

There are even dash cams available with large high res screens available that will also receive a Bluetooth (or some are hard wired) signal from a high quality reverse camera so you have a nice dash cam, that can also double as a high res reverse camera, or the dash cam can record via the 2 cameras (forward & rear facing) at once.

Something like this mate.

03644516-7082-4092-B5-C2-E21047676-E50.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Elinz-D...248250&hash=item3d2069b99f:g:OQEAAOSwfLxbDOGk

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
ECU and Transmission resets successful. The Transmission shifts now much crisper... no slurring

Engine performance feels good. At 105 KPH on the Motorway revs are 2200 :)and 7.5 KPL. I guess the lock up Clutch in the Torque Convertor is happy.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I have learnt the hard way that all Google Sites are not accurate. The seemly good site I have been using to reset my ECU turned out to be for The TCU (Transmission ) ECU now set correctly and performance is stronger than our C 200 . As it should be. Same year. The Transmission now feels even better Very clean on up shifts. Also the hard way ... the dash assembly I bought on E Bay was for a C200 .. a lot different from my c250 Elegance. It had broken Slats , and when I complained to E Bay the seller immediately refunded my Money and said to keep the Dash. I had flagged a Negative report on E Bay which concerned them. It was from Poland.:(