Patricks Trucks

More threads by sean sherry

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Gents.
Continuing with the theme of trucks and new technology, and following the tech I posted a few days ago of the bus and it’s extendable pantograph charging while dropping and picking up passengers, here is another good idea from another Swedish manufacturer Scania.
As all heavy vehicles are limited to the extreme right hand lanes in Europe, this looks like an idea that could work very well.
The trucks are either hybrids or full BEV’s. When exiting or overtaking the pantograph drops and the main form of drive takes over, until the truck gets to another overhead power supply where the pantograph will extend.
Sweden are really on the front foot when it comes to fossil free and de carbonising.
Just goes to show how advanced the world was with all electric drive in cars, trucks and busses in the late 1800’s onwards until the internal combustion engine took over and made things very portable.
B87B211F-DA17-40C5-B47D-187A2276E1F6.jpeg

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I could see that working very well in europe, on heavily trafficed trunk routes.

Might be a bit more difficult in Australia, but perhaps you would get a return doing the hume corridor between Melbourne->Sydney->brisbane.

of course the truck can go into the faster lane, but I have wishful thinking this would stop truck drivers overtaking each other with a speed difference of 1km/h like they do today.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Great points mate.
Europe don’t have the cowboy wanker drivers we have here.
One lane only for them and 90km/h. We should have the same thing, but we never will.
The Hume idea is great Bryce.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
E.Vs. not that expensive for Daughter, Professor C Sherry at Macquarie University. She is street wise and privileged !! Just ordered a Tesla Y via the Uni Car Broker, a $70,000 Car costing her $40,000on on a special Lease Deal for Staff. Also it is on a Salary Sacrifice. (less Personal Tax)... She has large Solar Panels at their Property at Laguna week Ender. Cost for Electricity close
to Zero. For her and Husband... the sums add up, V an ICE.
I wonder will the Sums add up for the Taxable deductible Trucks.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
All sounds pretty good Sean.
Keep us posted as to how it goes with charging and the costs etc.
I’m sure she will enjoy it, I’ve driven a few of my work mates of the same model.
Very nice indeed. Great Chinese car made to fantastic standards.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
All sounds pretty good Sean.
Keep us posted as to how it goes with charging and the costs etc.
I’m sure she will enjoy it, I’ve driven a few of my work mates of the same model.
Very nice indeed. Great Chinese car made to fantastic standards.
On YouTube Patrick ..a Sydney Company has developed a Battery changing System currently used by Cement Trucks
Drive in... change the Battery Pac out in about 10 minutes.
They are also converting Deiseal Trucks to E. Vs. at Engine 0/H time. They exampled 16 Lt Volvos... ?????????

Patrick_R

Grand Master
On YouTube Patrick ..a Sydney Company has developed a Battery changing System currently used by Cement Trucks
Drive in... change the Battery Pac out in about 10 minutes.
They are also converting Deiseal Trucks to E. Vs. at Engine 0/H time. They exampled 16 Lt Volvos... ?????????
Very interesting Sean. I’ve only seen cars do the battery swap thing.
But I guess trucks could be done just as easy.
Some of the truck batteries are quite easily accessible.

Yes,
The ex MD of Hino trucks Australia now heads up SEA Electric that convert many popular trucks to electric.
They are considered an OEM and carry all the new truck warranty etc.
I haven’t heard of them doing big trucks like the FH Volvo’s you mention.
Do you have a link to what you read Sean?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Becoming an addict to YouTube for a lot of interesting sites including the Truck Battery swops.....Been confined to Barracks for a month after Prostate Surgery Time on my hands. My 88 year old Body is starting to show its Age !! Like to many Ks it is to many Birthdays...For the record, the secret of success for the aging Male is to have a young Wife to look after him... Bev is only 86

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Another plus Patrick is that the Gearbox, which still retained behind the Electric Motor after a conversion, lasts for double the milage as behind a vibrating Diesel Engine.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Another plus Patrick is that the Gearbox, which still retained behind the Electric Motor after a conversion, lasts for double the milage as behind a vibrating Diesel Engine.
Spot on Sean, even though BEV trucks don’t run a clutch, in Diesel trucks, the clutch on an AMT (even though they don’t have a clutch pedal) really suffer from damper spring failure.
This is a 15 inch dual plate ceramic clutch typically fitted to American trucks.
American truck engines do suffer fairly badly with torsional vibration due to the very high compression ratio and the massive charges happening at the time of combustion.
They usually destroy the clutch damper springs simply through this vibration even when the clutch is closed. It gets worse when the clutch is open and they start to vibrate and rattle, then destroy the springs.
(These damper springs shown below are of about the same size, and thickness of a very heavy valve spring)
4495831C-48F9-4BA5-82CD-8A9171807624.jpeg
22813ED8-87D1-4076-AE64-B8A1C96F6CEC.jpegF44FEC55-8584-4799-8FFD-79421BF0B56A.jpeg

Clutches were quickly developed with a second row of damper springs to assist with this vibration.
748C12E4-DAEF-4605-8537-56F570671690.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Interesting Patrick what vibration can do.... The Holdens of the early Sixties had a 3 speed Hydromantic which did not have a Torque Converter but had a similar type Damper Plate. Except that it was two plates with Friction Pads between. The pads wore out causing a rattle,then the internal Splines were worn badly, including the input Shaft Splines. The Transmission was a very inefficient slush Box ! Was soon replaced by a modern 3 speed sourced from Strasburg in France and called a Trimatic when manufactured here. Was designed for high revving 2 litre European Engines. When fitted behind local V 8s it was a disaster to try stop clutch shudder...

Patrick_R

Grand Master
You’re spot on Sean.
Even though some vibrations can’t be felt by the driver, they are certainly still there and very destructive.
Some of the high displacement, high torque American truck diesels need to have their torsional vibration damper (harmonic balancer) replaced every 12 months or 100,000k if the owner really wants to stop the destructive vibrations causing issues in the drive train. Easier preventative maintenance than pulling transmissions and clutches and crankshafts.

Very interesting about the early automatic transmissions.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Regarding the new range of Volvo heavy duty electric trucks, everyone that buys one has access to the following rout planning software.
This is also part of the sales process to show potential customers that there is so much that can be done to ensure the electric trucks do what they are designed to do.
It’s probably the biggest issue with electric trucks here in Australia compared to Europe as our extreme powered DC chargers are few and far between. However they are in the process of rolling out more chargers for cars, but very few for trucks.
FYI
The big DC chargers have massive water cooled cables connecting the charger to the car or truck.
The amperage they put out is staggering.
37D6D503-5EA1-4B8C-86BB-D814A20D0D5C.jpeg

When watching the video, please bear in mind the BYD has a 60kwh battery, the Tesla Model S has a 100kwh battery and the biggest available is 212kwh in a Hummer EV2X pick up.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Regarding the new range of Volvo heavy duty electric trucks, everyone that buys one has access to the following rout planning software.
This is also part of the sales process to show potential customers that there is so much that can be done to ensure the electric trucks do what they are designed to do.
It’s probably the biggest issue with electric trucks here in Australia compared to Europe as our extreme powered DC chargers are few and far between. However they are in the process of rolling out more chargers for cars, but very few for trucks.
FYI
The big DC chargers have massive water cooled cables connecting the charger to the car or truck.
The amperage they put out is staggering.
View attachment 25172

When watching the video, please bear in mind the BYD has a 60kwh battery, the Tesla Model S has a 100kwh battery and the biggest available is 212kwh in a Hummer EV2X pick up.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
On Out Back Truckers Program I was amazed to see that all 62 Tires on a Road Train could be adjusted down for more traction by a Dash Board Switch !! Ditto all the Diff Locks.
American Trucks only ??? Patrick

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,
There are quite a few manufacturers that can supply and fit these.
Very popular systems indeed when tyre blowouts are common due to heat and weight and incorrect pressures.
All controlled automatically using the trucks air system.

Sorry, now I have to explain a bit about the “air system” hahahahahaha

They can even use all the air in the tyres to inflate the truck air systems if damage happens to the system or the air leaks out.
Trucks use a full dry air system for brakes, clutch and anything that would usually be done by hydraulics.
It uses a compressor and a number of air tanks, and brake chambers (which are like giant wheel cylinders) that sometimes get damaged, then the tyres can recharge the system when needed to overcome the park brake which is what we call spring brakes. The big wheel cylinders or chambers are external to where the brake shoes are, and are connected by a shaft.

Where we pull a cable or rod that actuates the park brake, the air in trucks actually work full time to keep the park brake off, by over powering a massive spring (spring brake) when the air gets released the huge spring applies the park brake.

In regards to an emergency where all the brake system gets damaged and all air escapes, the springs will lock all brakes on in an instant.

The footbrake is actually applied by adding pressure to another part of the brake chamber which applies the brake, the air is released (the massive whoosh you hear just before a truck moves off) and so are the brakes.

Here is a basic overview.
Here is a typical brake chamber that incorporates the foot brake and the spring actuated park brake.
3D986078-688C-421D-A45A-EA203370DA64.jpeg

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Thank you Patrick... and I thought ABS Systems were complex !!
You’re welcome Sean.
Yes,
I forgot to add all of the modern safety systems (ABS, EBD, ESC, AEBS, BA) that are also fitted to the air brake system.

Yes,
Can get pretty busy under there 🤣
Basic small truck with air brakes.
C781F801-4BF8-491E-85B7-6FB9FF631F88.jpeg

This is just one rear axle of a Volvo, and this is the air and electrics just for this one axle.
ADBE9767-04A2-4B86-8DE4-D84A275DA5A4.jpeg