Out this morning in the 6.3

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Thanks for the title idea Des:D

I've been steadily preparing my 6.3 for the M-100 Rally in September, we are driving back from Adelaide after transporting the cars, and ourselves in a first class cabin :), on the train from Sydney.

My first priority was to try and improve my fuel economy so I started with the basics on a MFI car, or any car for that matter, the ignition. Checked the timing with vacumn advance disconnected at idle, 1500 and 3000 rpm which was all on spec. Changed the plugs to new W8DC. The leads, plug caps, distributer cap and rotor are all new 2 weeks ago.

Next job was the linkage the controls the operation of the throttle body and fuel injection pump. The relationship of the degrees of rotation of the throttle body and the pump linkages is not linear so I used a method RonB came up with and attached a protractor to the throttle body lever, fabricated a pointer from coat hanger wire, and by adjusting the length of the linkages at the ball ends I was able to set the angles as per the book, for example 2.5 degrees on the throttle = 4-4.5 degrees on the pump, 7.5 = 11.5-12.5, 20 = 29-30. You get the idea.

This done I soon realised my warm up device was not operating correctly, the tube that holds the wax thermostat was blocked with coolant junk stopping the flow of coolant that heats the thermostat shutting of the additional air and fuel supplied to the pump. I replaced the housing and wax thermostat from a spare pump I have then changed the oil in the injection pump as the rich running had diluted the oil in the govener, making it overfull and dripping oil into the valley of the engine.

All this in order I warmed the engine to operating temp and checked the Co2.
3.6 at idle in park, wheels chocked, and 0.6 at 1500 rpm in drive, again wheels chocked and foot HARD on the brake pedal. Again as per the book.

Finally to this morning we took off on my usual test run, down Windsor Road to Mcgraths Hill, right toward Pitt Town and through to Maroota, a 80k posted road almost completely made up of 35-55k corners and a favorite among motorcyclists, left down to Wisemans with plenty of sweeping corners until it tightens up for the final few 25 and 15 k hairpins at the end. I left the bike behind me working to keep up through this, granted it was a BMW...

A coffee at Wisemans and back up the same hill by leaving the 'box in 3rd I had the back end wanting to step out on the exit of the tighter corners as it simple charged up the hill. The engine was revving cleanly up to about 5000 rpm, any more is past peak power, and blowing no smoke.

Back home via Glenorie, Dural etc I was more than happy with the improvement in the tune and indications from the fuel guage and milage so far show better MPG.

Des

Sounds great

:D

Your own little race circuit,

I think the m100 road trip would be an epic event to go on, definately a high point for any M100 owner.

I have my back road race circuit too, have to mount a camera on my dash and take the 280S out for a burn

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Sounds like the kind of drive we all need every once in a while.... :p

Blow the cobwebs, (Italian) tune the car and enjoy the scenery.

By the way, when does the September M100 rally begin? and where from?

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Styria, the kids were with Mum on Sunday, Saturday is my day with them and as soon as we get in the car Ruby asks "are we going to go fast Daddy?'
I simply cannot let her down!;)
Michel, the Rally starts from Sydney on the 5th of September, the train leaves from Central on Saturday afternoon arriving in Adelaide on the Sunday.
Then the driving starts.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel, the Rally starts from Sydney on the 5th of September, the train leaves from Central on Saturday afternoon arriving in Adelaide on the Sunday.
Then the driving starts.
Is there going to be a meet and greet before that?
I am not a member of the M100, but I'd love to turn up in the 690SEL and say hello to some

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Michel,
I'll have a chat to the Rally organiser. A few Queensland members are leaving their cars at my factory on Friday night to avoid Hotel car parks then driving in Saturday morning so we may be able to T something up then.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel,
I'll have a chat to the Rally organiser. A few Queensland members are leaving their cars at my factory on Friday night to avoid Hotel car parks then driving in Saturday morning so we may be able to T something up then.

Thanks, I look forward to that

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel,

Any update on that?