Out in the CE this morning

More threads by Des

Des

I've had my 280CE for about 3 months now, with repairs and more repairs needing to be done today was my first real day to take her out for a spin and see what's what.

Really is a pleasure to drive, didn't miss a beat, attracts plenty of looks and stares from other motorists, I think they are all jealous.

Cruises along at 60 miles per hour with ease, motor pulls up to highway speed without any fuss or bother.

The drive raised a few points I need my mechanic to look at,

Some sort of a rattle in the steering when turning the wheel to the right, sounds like a shock absorber rattling, but it is in the steering somewhere. You don't feel it through the steering just hear its annoying rattle.

Transmission needs adjusting slightly, when taking off and you get up to about 30 miles an hour the motor over revs, needs you to take your foot off the pedal for it to change up a gear, then it clunks into the next gear.

All and all a good morning though, went out for breakfast at a little cafe in a small country town, you can't beat it, good car, good weather, good food!

Kind Regards
Des

B13

Sounds good Des, yes a 114/115 coupe in great condition is a sight to behold.

Check your ATF level if the gear changes are less than perfect.

Ian.

OP
Des

Des

Sounds good Des, yes a 114/115 coupe in great condition is a sight to behold.

Check your ATF level if the gear changes are less than perfect.

Ian.

Transmission was only serviced about a month ago, but yes good point, didn't think to check that.

Did you see the TopGear show a few weeks ago when they had the 600 and the RR? The point Clarkson made about how good their cars looked compared to everything else is so true. Even new Benzes are so boring to look at, and the little "smugmobiles"

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
How does that compare to your newly acquired and repaired 116?

OP
Des

Des

How does that compare to your newly acquired and repaired 116?

You know I have been giving that a lot of thought Michel,

Ok, The W114 in the steering feels heavier than a W116 or a W123,
The W114 steering is nimble and has less body roll than the W116, which seems to wollow around corners when you flog it.
To me the W116 seems to like to roll out of a corner, where I am more used to a W123 style driving where you turn in, hold on and the car just holds to the road, leans over, right over even, touching the guard on the tyre on the other side.
I had really good tyres on my W123 which I think helped, they were really grippy tyres.

I guess I like that sort of car, the TT was like this also, it would just grip and grip to the road,

I found the 6.9 I had to grip well with the big fat BBS wheels, but you never knew where the limit was until the car was about to tail end itself, I remember once that happened, managed to bring it back under control with a backing off the pedal and turn the wheel quick one way than the other, still scary though when you don't expect it to happen.

I have decided the W114 needs new tyres, drove it home from the mechanic in the rain and there was no grip on the road, had to be very careful. So driving it in the dry hard is probably not that safe or a good indication of what it can do ether

In theory the W114 I would have thought would handle better, only two doors, stiffer body, should mean less roll.

I will get some new rubber and see how it goes

Kind Regards
Des

OP
Des

Des

Just changing working situtations,

moving out of IT, into my publishing career.

so things are a little slow until I get my first book published.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Just changing working situtations,

moving out of IT, into my publishing career.

so things are a little slow until I get my first book published.

Great move mate...

Anything I can do to help? (publishing wise)

OP
Des

Des

Great move mate...

Anything I can do to help? (publishing wise)

At the moment things are moving along quite well thanks
I am working with a small US publishing firm that specializes in small run, military and war history books, A friend of mine has experience with and helped me get my book in the door so to speak.

I am working on a few ideas at the moment, primarily my D Day book.

Not sure I will ever be a Tom Clancy or Dan Brown, but we shall see.