No longer Truck Like

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
How is your new Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo I hear you ask.... A revelation from the early designs of this type of Vehicle. Safety paramount... A plus.... Lumber A. Bags and a Driver's Knee Air Bag.
Has all the merits of good modern Car. Engine.. Transmission.. Suspension.. Steering .. Autonomous Braking.. Etc.
Heated Seat Cousins and Back Rests.... a boon for the decrypted owners !!!...... Comfort Plus....
Dealer tells me that that the CVT has a Torque Converter as well. Smooth and efficient.
I will look that up to confirm.

Styria

The Godfather
...../Sean, and so am I. I have read a number of reports on a multitude of SUVs available from new, and most get a damned good report. It can now come down to pricing - the Koreans have become very expensive, Fords have always been dear for what you get, Honda really have lost their way from a marketing and choice perspective, so where does that leave us - MG enjoying record sales, and in my humble opinion, the Chinese made Haval models.

Good luck with your Mitsubishi - a really nice looking conveyance, and certainly up with the best. I still think of the Odyssey that Patrick purchased.............damned good value and a huge lot of car boasting a name of pedigree. Regards Styria

N.B. I should have chosen my words more carefully - such as "fantastic".

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Good choice Sean,
You can't go wrong with that!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Unfortunately like the Camry I bought a few years ago, the Paint is not very robust... easily scratched.
Little depth but a brilliant Finish..... straight off the Gun I believe. I should have bought a new R.R. !
Bring it to Jerry,
He’ll make it look like new!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
The Car is New ! There are half a dozen long thin scratches on the Bonnet ..like a Cat has clawed up a Warm Bonnet. Can't be felt with finger nail so not to deep. I will try to Polish out with T Cut.
Then, will a couple of coatings of Ceramic Spray give a harder surface ??
Has anyone had experience with this Product.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Sean,
It’s brand new.
Take it back to the dealer if you feel it is defective paint.
No Patrick, just light scratches apparently the norm in todays Asian Paints. I read that the minimum Paint applied is to save weight. Mercedes did the same years ago on their Grand Prix Cars. Hence the Silver Arrows. Macquarie's Scratch Remover seems to have be successful. Now to try the Ceramic treatment..... nothing ventured.. nothing gained....

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I agree with Patrick on this. We had the E350 coupe treated with a ceramic glaze prior to delivery and 12 months down the track I have to admit I am convinced of its worth. The brand used by MB was https://motorone.com/protektiv-surface-coating/
I don't know if it makes the surface any harder but it sure means that dirt does not stick.
regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Bit The Bullet, and applied the Ceramic Coating from the Spray Applicator. Scratches gone and the Bonnet is like a Skating Rink... Everything will slide off... A second Coat after 24 Hours recommended. The rest of the Car, as my aching Back permits.
For all our older members with Back issues .. I bought a Broad, so called magnetic, support Belt online today.... Immediate relief..... No Pain working on the Car... what a relief !!!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Ah, Wheels within Wheels.... Mitsubishi and Nissan CVT Transmissions are made by JACO who are the largest producers of CVTs in the World. All Jaco CVTs had Torque Converters .The best of both Worlds ?? Their convectional Torque Converter Transmissions were fitted to Mazda's and were bullet proof ( part owned by Ford ) ?? Though the Mazda 323/Ford Laser flared on the 2/3 upshift , an easy fix, too much clearance in the Top Gear Clutch Pac to achieve a softer upshift. A two hour Job as the clutch Drum was accessible from under the Left side Wheel arch. The Dealers made a meal of it pulling the Transmission. They soon learned to send their customers to us !!! Shades of the V12 Jags..
Engine and Trans out 3 days..... we did it in one Day I never told them how !!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Service it at the Dealer I hear you say....... no thanks....... Friend is in a battle with a Major dealer over a $$$ low Mileage High End Ute. Charged before delivery over $1000 plus for work never done . Oil was nearly Black... Filters filthy etc. I told him to go to the "Top Down"
The Organ Grinder .. not the Monkey !!
The dealer on Victoria Rd Sydney has a Mobile Service Van I will have my first Service done at Home where I will have control..... and making sure that there are no faults Flagged. After that, Dealer only, if there is a Warranty Issue.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
The mobile service vehicle is from the Mitsubishi dealer Sean?
Also, please be sure to check exactly what will be done at this first service.
Some new vehicles do not have engine oil or any filters changed at this service.
So please check what is scheduled to be done so you don’t get upset or jump to the wrong conclusion when things are not done that you think should be done.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Point taken Patrick..... but I have tried in vain to find a list of the Service items at any Mileage or Time Frame. I did find an all encompassing listing which had so much Padding I just ignored it. In the next five years of the Warranty I will have travelled about
30,000 Ks and am not expecting a single issue. I will check online for any Updates. Yes the Mobile Van is a Dealer employee. He should have a Factory Scanner and access to any Updates. Very handy instead of a trip to the Dealership and then one back to pick up the Car. Plus I can deal with the Organ Grinder and not the Monkey !!!!!!

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sean - I do not understand the problem. Mitsubishi advertises a 10 year warranty and 10 years of fixed price servicving if done at the official dealer. Is this what you have? If so, what is wrong with the deal?
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Brian, the second Five year warranty ties you to the Dealers mercy !!! Service Price jumps to $600. plus anything else they can think of. There is a very long list of exclusions in the Warranty Papers.
Basically I don't trust them. In the popular Press many.. many complaints about Dealer treatment of Customers. ....Service done with a pencil...... Fictious charges..... Little profit these days on New Car Sales..... Hence at Service time......" Come into my Parlour said the Spider to the Fly" !!!
Used Car Sales .... well that is a different Ball Game.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Also my Mate who is in a Big Battle with a Major Manufacturer is being referred back to the Dealer. It is a Used Car ..their issue. He is on his own. They will Stone Wall him to the bitter end.
But I think they have picked the wrong Guy ..He is nobody's Fool.... but who needs the Aggravation.
Think Real Estate Agents and Used Car Dealers.... ask anybody .....

Patrick_R

Grand Master
It’s a modern world Sean.
Dealers are no longer the way you think, they simply can’t be.

Yes,
Exclusions are in the warranty documents for a reason.

Regarding service items and schedules.
Almost no one puts these in manuals now.
It’s the cowboy mechanics and customers with the thoughts you have that turn good cars into an unreliable item by not taking them to the dealer for proper servicing.
Where do you think japan got their reputation from? Not from backyard mechanics that’s for sure.
They offer 10 years warranty because if they service it, and not the idiots outside, they stand behind it, and are confident enough to put their factory behind it.

The only ones I’ve seen doing tick and flick servicing these days, are the private non factory service centres.

Get with the times Sean, you should be enjoying your car, not worrying about every single thing since day one.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Also my Mate who is in a Big Battle with a Major Manufacturer is being referred back to the Dealer. It is a Used Car ..their issue. He is on his own. They will Stone Wall him to the bitter end.
But I think they have picked the wrong Guy ..He is nobody's Fool.... but who needs the Aggravation.
Think Real Estate Agents and Used Car Dealers.... ask anybody .....
I’d like to know the whole story behind this.
There are always two sides to a story.