My W123 230E (plus update on other Benzes etc)

More threads by Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Hello everyone!

I picked up my new (new old? old new?) W123 230E yesterday that I was talking about buying in the other thread. I've already fallen in love with it.

That's something I love about these old cars - what should be, I guess, a fairly "vanilla" model as far as Mercedes cars go will still have it's own character, charm and possibly a story to tell in it's history.

Naturally, pics follow ;)

Exterior 1: http://i.imgur.com/TIHtnQc.jpg
Exterior 2: http://i.imgur.com/gNgFBqm.jpg

Interior 1: http://i.imgur.com/M84U915.jpg
Interior 2: http://i.imgur.com/fXH3dr7.jpg
Interior 3: http://i.imgur.com/mkGpCA4.jpg

It's a 1984 model, done about 271,000 kms. It looks very tidy all round, including a blue interior which feels and smells very regal somehow. It drives beautifully and has very good road manners. Including, thankfully, the little bit of city driving I've already had to do with it where it did all the usual things well - stopping, taking off and idling at intersections. As well mannered as any car should be in that situation.

The torque at low-mid rev range does surprise me with this little engine. Although it shouldn't really - it wasn't long until I realised this engine is the same basic engine MB used in models like the W201 190E, which I've had a little experience with.

It really only does one slightly off thing: whether it be starting cold or warm, it seems to like about 10-15% blip of the throttle as I crank it. It doesn't really start "cleanly" on it's own. With that knowledge, it's always easy enough to start but I am aware it's something that could probably be improved/corrected. Once started, it runs perfectly. Being K-Jetronic (I believe), it shouldn't be too difficult to fix I don't imagine.

I was also initially tempted to do the usual "chuck a CD player in there" kind of thing, but well, it occurred to me I haven't used a CD in a car since about 2008 :eek: Nowadays generally I use one of those FM transmitter/adapter things that plug into your MP3 player/smart phone and all you have to do is tune the FM radio to the desired frequency.

So I figure I may as well leave that nice old Becker Grand Prix radio in there, it works fine after all :) And probably will for many more years.

-------

Alright, so update on everything else :cool:

I couldn't help but smile to myself when I saw one of our fellow forum members, Oversize, thread called "Progress" and then started off the body of the post with "...or lack thereof!".

Sadly that's much the case with me. In between work, and moved in/out a couple houses over the past few years, it's been very difficult to get all that much done with any of the Mercs. Mercs generally being the "fleet" of W116s in my family.

I may as well list the cars I can think of below and the status of them..

Milan Brown W116 1979 6.9: Basically wrapped up in cotton wool, so to speak, most of the time. The suspension was never truly sorted but that's okay as it's had very limited use. Until it gets the full treatment it deserves, it pretty much just gets started and moved around every so often. That and the starter motor tends to get that electrical whir going on cold start but that's nothing major. It's a lovely car though and we try to protect it the best way we can. Would be good to fully sort it and have more driving time though :cool: Most likely will try to get Special Interest rego on it.

My white W116 1979 280SEL: Ahh my old "faithful" and the car for which my username originates from. Sadly old faithful is off the road at the moment, until I eventually decide exactly what to do with the engine. Some of you may remember this 280's M110 engine has done almost 600,000kms :eek: The engine itself is a little tired as one could imagine. However this car will still start almost first time after sitting 6 months with a good battery and fresh juice. On the other hand it has vacuum leaks a plenty and uses almost the most fuel of any of the W116s including the 6.9 now, so I eventually let it's registration lapse and parked it. An engine rebuild may not be too cost efficient, so whether I just put another M110 engine in as a swap remains to be seen... I'm still very attached to the old car and it doesn't do much else wrong despite it's mileage.

White 1973 W116 350SE: Old "smokey", once an $800 "bargain", was a fun vehicle for a while and was my first W116 V8. Unfortunately, I was probably a bit optimistic on it's health, as the engine went from simply being a bit smokey to actually badly fouling spark plugs within a week and, combined with a few other little issues, became fairly unusable. As such it was relegated to being a parts car.

Red/Burgundy 1974 W116 350SE: The red 350SE was/is a dual-fuel LPG/Petrol Benz (already converted when I bought it). Besides a slight issue with starving at high revs on LPG, the red 350SE was a nice smooth and reliable vehicle. Strangely though, I could never really get attached to it and I'm not entirely sure why (can anyone relate to this :confused:). My dad actually liked the vehicle more than me, so I gave it to him.

Yellow W114 280: One of the few non-W116s, I only got this a year or so ago as a freebie. It's had a bit of tidy up but still has an extreme case of "sap attack", which I tried various solutions to remove but had little success. Suspect this one could be a long term project anyway and I'm in no rush. I like the shape and "classic" styling of the interior.

A couple of non W116s in my family or were in recent years:

W124 260E - dad's missus likes this one. Burgundy colour, all the options including a sunroof. Nice enough car all round.
W201 190E - lovely car, unfortunately was rear-ended and written off :mad::eek: No one hurt thankfully.
W124 230 station wagon: Had a chronic overheating problem for a while and one of very few engines I've known to survive being cooked to within an inch of it's life. Testament to the strength of the engine, because it had no right to survive that really. Gearbox is a bit shonky but once that's sorted I think my dog-mad sister might inherit this one :eek:

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited:
OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Lol, sorry, I can be very guilty of walls of text. I did combine my 230E post with an update on my other cars though, so there's essentially two posts in one.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Now that's a nice car. There is an elegance about these - a purity of design which is very appealing. I hope all turns out to be smooth driving for many years.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Love the white and blue. Very classy and this one looks to be in excellent condition.

Thanks for the info on the rest of the fleet... :D

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

It helps that the previous owner was one of those wealthy types who always gave it regular services and otherwise looked after it.

All the manuals, documentation etc are there in the glovebox and there's even an original Mercedes Benz stick of touch-up paint.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It helps that the previous owner was one of those wealthy types who always gave it regular services and otherwise looked after it.

All the manuals, documentation etc are there in the glovebox and there's even an original Mercedes Benz stick of touch-up paint.

One of those rare gems that you ought to look after.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

It's not perfect - there's a dent in the stone tray and a tiny rust spot at the bottom of the left rear door :D

Neither is particularly noticeable but I will endeavor to iron them out.

You are right Michel, it ought to be properly looked after.

260ebenz

Master
Hello Andrew the 230E looks wonderful well done on the purchase!

Something about the look of the W123 Classic 1970's and 1980's Mercedes styling so much charm factor!

Here's to many years of happy motoring Andrew!

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Many thanks, Tim ;)

I agree about the styling of 70's and 80's Mercedes Benz, in general. These cars are actually older than me but I've always been drawn to them. And IMO you can't beat that experience of driving and constantly seeing that Mercedes Star emblem in front of you on the bonnet.

Oversize

Grand Master
The W123 is a great car and doesn't seem to suffer with rust as much as the W116 (especially the sills). No idea why since the production process would've been very similar coming from the same era. Maybe a slightly different design allowed for better drainage etc?

A loved W123 with a great history would be a very good Concours candidate (well done)....

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Finally got a day today where I had time to actually go out for a drive (and do some as-usual late Christmas shopping :D) so naturally I took the 230E.

It's a very well mannered car even in city traffic and was just generally a really pleasant drive. While still not really a "small" car, it's smaller nature compared to say something like my old W116 280SEL is definitely a bit easier to weave around town in.

Temperature is generally around 85 to 90 degrees Celsius. Sometimes when sitting idling at traffic lights in what was a fairly warm day today, it got around 100C but comes right down when on the move again. There's no sign of head gasket troubles or such, and to be honest it's actually not the first time I've seen an M102 engine do this. Nothing to really worry about, right? :confused:

Air con certainly works, but isn't terribly cold. I may get it re-gassed some day. But it is Tasmania, a blower fan and/or a window down is usually more than sufficient here :D

I'll say this though - for an old 4 cylinder, these things aren't lacking in power when you want it. Obviously you can't expect anything like you get in a well-running V8 or some of the sixes, but it's more than sufficient for everyday driving. If you take off with the gear selector in "L" position so it actually engages 1st gear from the start (typical for a 4 speed of this vintage as you all probably know), acceleration is surprisingly sprighty :cool:

Helmet

Connoisseur
That's a pretty accurate review Andrew. With regards your engine temp. The engine fan only cuts in at 100deg C. You will find that the engine runs cooler with the a/c on as the ac triggers the thermo fan. I realise that that you are in Tassie and probably never use a/c :D:):rolleyes:

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

That's a pretty accurate review Andrew. With regards your engine temp. The engine fan only cuts in at 100deg C. You will find that the engine runs cooler with the a/c on as the ac triggers the thermo fan. I realise that that you are in Tassie and probably never use a/c :D:):rolleyes:
Hahah :D

Thanks, Helmet :) Good to know where the engine fan is supposed to cut in and sounds about right given my experience today.