MG Hybrids?

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Just remember, it’s a cheap Chinese manufacturer who simply bought a revered UK brand when it went into bankruptcy.
Nothing to do with the original Morris Garages company.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The only experience I have of the current MG is that of a close friend who bought an MG EV. It stopped while on the school run at the beginning of May and was towed to the dealer. The anticipated return date is early April due to the backlog of warranty claims. No loan vehicle is available.
Fortunately they also have an ancient, somewhat scruffy but 100% reliable Silver Shadow to use in the interim. All Shadow parts are available within 48 hours.
Which would I buy?
Regards,
Brian

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Doesn’t sound good at all! Anyone know what other (better) manufacturers are offering hybrids?

Styria

The Godfather
The specifications and pricing structure make compelling assessments - how about the supply of Chinese sourced parts ? That aspect, to me, seems a real worry. Another Chinese manufacturer, in fact two LDV and Haval - again they make a hell of a lot of sense. Spares may be an issue .........Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Anyone considering a hybrid (or anything expensive) should always do their research first...

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Just so we are on the same page Mark.
MG don’t do hybrids, (internal combustion engine connected to the drive wheels with electric assist)
they do EV’S (battery only, with motors doing the drive at the wheels)

The other one to consider is a PHEV or Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle.
This uses an on board battery to drive the wheels using electric motors.
The on board internal combustion engine only drives a generator to keep the batteries topped up to extend the range.

We used to call this type of vehicle a “range extender” and the very first of these was the Chevrolet (and Holden) Volt.

Also we need to consider where the power is coming from.
We still burn coal in Australia to produce the main electricity supply that will charge most electric vehicles.
The pollution at the cars tail pipe, has been replaced with pollution at the electricity generators.
So, a bit of smoke and mirrors to make the buyer feel like they are being environmentally responsible.

However if you have one or more solar arrays, you can cleanly generate the power to charge your vehicle.
Not only is it green, it is free.

All Volvo corporate offices and workshops globally have solar arrays fitted to every inch of roof, to power the offices and workshops.
Our partner IKEA have millions of solar arrays fitted to all of their retail outlets, production facilities and warehouses.
These power all of their sites, and charge batteries to charge all of their trucks over night.
(I can explain about these batteries and their re use or recycling if anyone is interested)

This part of the post is just saying, if we want to go green, we need to consider all aspects of it.

So,
Have you decided to buy one of the different types of EV’S out there?

sean sherry

Master
Still sticking with ICE Turbo MG.... An interesting comparison over 60000 miles between cost of Camry Hybrid and a Tesla... Tesla more expensive to own....... Probably because of the High costs of pure Electric Cars. Factor in the possible inconvenience of finding a Charging Point and the wait to Charge up, the Camry is for me a clear winner. BMW 3 was also in the mix $$$$s

sean sherry

Master
Long live Petrol...... says a balanced article I just read.......
The Stone Age ended not because we ran out of Stones..
The Oil Age will not end because we ran out of OIL ( or Gas )
There is no light switch to arrange an instant transition to renewables.
It will be our Grandchildren's problem.
I choose a 1.5 Lt Turbo with a CVT Transmission as my new Car, a Mitsubishi Ellipse Cross
Drives beautifully, with a Boot like a cave ( A Hatchback )
Should I need to carry a walking assistant.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
We were just watching a tv show yesterday where the chap was 102, he was happy and healthy and only had to go to hospital due to being short of breath.
So, all good for you up to the end of the warranty period mate.

Styria

The Godfather
We were just watching a tv show yesterday where the chap was 102, he was happy and healthy and only had to go to hospital due to being short of breath.
So, all good for you up to the end of the warranty period mate.
Hey Patrick, that's me to a tee !

sean sherry

Master
My new Mitsubishi is 40% 0wned by Nissan .. Nissan is controlled by Renault in a 3 way Alliance.
So how much of my Car, an Eclipse Cross Turbo, is actually Mitsubishi ??
They are also all in Bed with Mercedes in America. Throw in Russia.. Brazil ... Korea and China for good measure. Like all the rest..... a Kit Car......

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Indeed a kit car; even in the days of horses and carriages the concept of a "kit-construction" was on the go. When you needed a new engine you went to the stables and selected a new horse or horses as the case might be. No-one ever made all the parts for the carriage and the horse as well, even if they did their own breeding. :)