MG Hybrids?

More threads by Oversize

Patrick_R

Grand Master
It’s called product sharing Sean.

Volvo calls it the CAST system.
Common Architecture Shared Technology.
However each brand builds all of their own components to a point.
Some major components are built in one central location and shipped worldwide.

Funny enough, all of the Volvo brands wiring are all constructed in Sweden.
The wiring is the main backbone of a modern vehicles reliability.
So QC of this component is paramount.

sean sherry

Master
Now don't tell Brian as R.R. are also a Kit Car....A BMW Engine and the Auto Trans from Whom ?
The Brakes... the Tyres ... the Electrics ( Electronics ) ??? List goes on.....
As Patrick says...... it was always thus....
. P.S. The more I drive the Mitsubishi...... the more I appreciate a Modern Car.

sean sherry

Master
Now don't tell Brian as R.R. are also a Kit Car....A BMW Engine and the Auto Trans from Whom ?
The Brakes... the Tyres ... the Electrics ( Electronics ) ??? List goes on.....
As Patrick says...... it was always thus....
. P.S. The more I drive the Mitsubishi...... the more I appreciate a Modern Car.

sean sherry

Master
Interesting that Mercedes changed Horses in Mid Stream, probably 10 plus Years ago when they had Major problems with the Electrics... Can't remember from whom, and who to.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,
Since BMW have owned Rolls-Royce the transmissions have been supplied by Zahnradfabrik or ZF, and are made in Saarbrücken Germany.

The new Phantom VIII has a GPS controlled 8 speed automatic transmission with hydraulic converter.
The transmission has the ability to skip shift for economy because it knows the topography that is ahead.

The previous (first car produced under BMW ownership) model Phantom VII had a 6 speed ZF, which was pretty standard as auto’s go.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,
A typical chassis completed by Rolls-Royce before heading to the customers preferred coach builder.
All of the essentials are there except the actual body.
Note all electrics and gauges are completed.
67167C96-40A7-4275-8658-B1588F45A5DB.jpeg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
MG is made in China so that's me out on that fact alone.....

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Mark,
Fair comment, of which we are all entitled.
Plus, understand you will not buy one.

As someone (like me) who likes all things mechanical, and engineering, please for your own records, go climb in, out and under one.
Just for your own reference to see what modern Chinese engineering looks like.

sean sherry

Master
Those Tesla Accidents with Drivers being 100% relaying on their Auto Pilot rings a Bell.
Even though I can set the Cruise control on the Mitsubishi to stay as far back as I like ,I don't feel comfortable relaying on it. When I watch "Aircraft Investigation" on Foxtel there is all ways the comment, that it is ultimately the Pilot's responsibility is to Fly the Aeroplane ...... not the Auto Pilot. Air Speed and Altitude !!!! With out Air speed, a Plane drops like a Stone....
Also, sometimes Pilots don't believe their Instruments..... Has been Fatal.....

Patrick_R

Grand Master
You are spot on Sean.

All of these items are there to “assist” the driver only.
Not to replace them.

Our trucks also have all of these and more.
The way I train drivers is that you are in charge, and here are your assistants.
If they look at it this way, they understand their responsibility.

These tragedies that happen is down to the intelligence or arrogance of the owner unfortunately.

sean sherry

Master
Yes Patrick .. most Accidents are caused by Mechanical failure..... The Nut behind the Wheel gets lose!!
Brain will correct me if I am in error.... Cross swooping's..
In the Thirties R.R. adopted the front suspension design from Packard....
In their turn Packard Built the R.R. Merlin Engines under Licence....reputed to be better build than the original UK builds.
The most successful American Fighter Plane was fitted with the "Packard" Merlin Engine

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Very nice info Sean.

The Packard Merlin not only powered the beautiful North American P51 Mustang, it also had a very close link to JFK.

Triple Packard Merlin’s were the power supply for the PT (Patrol Torpedo) Boats, thus the PT109 which was skippered by Lieutenant JG John F Kennedy.
Wooden hull with steel superstructure.
These 41 litre (2490CID) supercharged engines could produce up to 1350bhp each running 100 octane fuel.
Each engine could also consume up to .65lbs per bhp per hour @ 2400 rpm.
Fuel capacity was 3000 gallons or 11,400 litres.
Flank speed of nearly 50 knots or 93km/h.
Weight 73 metric tonnes.
Range not so good at flank speed.
An absolute strike weapon on the water if ever there was one.

Probably the most famous PT Boat was the PT73 skippered by Commander Quentin McHale.
F931F66E-AD4E-46A5-8B0E-6F412D58702C.jpegA33AF40D-9CCB-4DAC-90EC-011459E95C6B.jpeg5F0EA428-A6F8-40F7-B58B-CFDE466A3828.jpeg

aussie 6.9

Noble
The PT boats were certainly powered by Packard built v12s but they were not related to the Merlin’s that Packard built under licence for Rolls Royce. I believe they were developed from the Liberty aero engine that Packard helped develop from WW 1. Regards Mark.