Hillclimb, Capitown - Sunday 9th August 2009

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Just a note, for those around the Canberra region.

Next Sunday, 9th August, I'll be hitting up the hillclimb with the SE6.9

If you're in the region, come check out the smoke show. ;)

Lukas

Ooooh - that would be fun to watch. Unfortunately I'll be tucked up in a course all day (all weekend in fact).

Remember - front heavy. Very front heavy.

Styria

The Godfather
Just a note, for those around the Canberra region.

Next Sunday, 9th August, I'll be hitting up the hillclimb with the SE6.9

If you're in the region, come check out the smoke show. ;)
Hi SELfor50, good luck with it. It looks you're taking your NEW 6.9 ? I'll be very, very interested in your assessment of the car and its handling abilities.

I think you need to factor in the heavier engine and how well the car has been set up with its steel springs - am I on the right track ? You are taking the 6.9 ? Anyway, bear in mind that the much "maligned" standard hydraulic 6.9 suspension is in fact quite a sophisticated set-up - given its age. With the spheres, under hard cornering, the hydraulic pressure is loaded-up to the wheels by means of the struts, and it does make a difference. Not easy to find out on public roads, but I have experienced it once or twice during 14 years of Gleaming Beauty ownership. Let us know how you get on. BTW, how is "KEBABALOU" progressing ? My spies tell me this is a new venture. Pics and free publicity wouldn't go astray. Regards Styria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Yep, taking the SE6.9.

Yep, factoring in the heavier engine. I've driven a hydro setup 6.9 before too, and coils are definitely more definitve for track use. The SE69 needs new shocks though, so I won't be pushing her too hard through the corners. I'm sure the hydro setup is advanced, but for circuit driving I would imagine (may be wrong, I usually am) that a coil / shock setup is more responsive and predictable.

Kebab-a-lon is doing good. Too many hours, not enough sleep.. but it's ok.
Will maybe get some photos of the doner this week and post them.

Cam.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Lukas

Training was reasonably interesting - learning about prescribed burning ("backburns" and hazard reduction burns). Get to go play with stuff for the next part of the course. Chainsaws this weekend.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahaha.. nice one.. you get to burn ish, and then spend a weekend chopping ish up with a chainsaw?!
That's awesome.

Have you seen 'We can be heroes'? The dude that is showing all the kids what to do in an emergency... And then he's like, wait, looks like we got a real situation.. hah.. anyway, short snippet of another clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREX3InTFB8&feature=related

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

RESULTS: Hillclimb, Capitown - Sunday 9th August 2009

3rd in Category. :D

Part i'm most happy about is my split times, all within 3hundreths of a second for all runs. Looking for that consistency.

Noteable moment was a first timer at the event with a 2003 Porsche 911 CS4.
He was running 19x12" rubber (or something like that) on the rear, which were also semi slicks.

He started off in my class - Type 1/2 over 3000cc, but was naturally re-categorised into Type SV (Special Vehicle) which is AWD vehicles (Evo's, WRX's, GTR's, GTI-R's etc).

He registered a dispute with CAM's and wanted his class record lap to stand and to remain in Type 1/2 over 3000cc (which is for standard car's with tyres being the only allowed mod).
His claim is: Porsche 911 CS4 isn't Porsches "performance" car, and he should be classified in Type 1/2 as it's not a performance vehicle.

What a knob!

Results:
http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/pdfs2/Results/2009-08.pdf

Lukas

So this is in ol' silver and not the 690SE?

3rd is good, and as you say, consistency is better.

Can't they just ban Mr CS4 outright? That's what I would do.....:)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Nup, that was in the 690SE

Yep 3 out of 3 is ok.. ;) But really happy with the consistent splits. Just the rest of the lap(s) that I needed to be consistent on.

I have a feeling that Mr CS4 won't be running again if he has to compete with car's that might be faster than him. So essentially he's been banned. :)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahah.. is a good event. The 690SE has springs & shocks, so it's much like the 450SEL was before the suspension upgrades re-build etc.
I haven't been back to the hillclimb with the 450 since having the diff done, but last time I was there with the single spinner diff but the suspension had been done, I did my previous PB of 56.08 or something.

I would say going back there now, with the 450 having brand new rubber and also the CIG locker (and ratio change) I would be somewhere near the 53's. Pretty confident of that.

If the suspension parts and diff etc etc were on the 690SE, then I'd be somewhere near the 51's me thinks......providing I'd be able to keep traction.

Yep, Anthony was there. Nice volvo that is.

Cam.