Defending the modern

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
In spite of all the realistic assessing of the Old verses the New, it's not all bad news. Yesterday little Wifey and I went on a 150 K outing with our New 1.4 Lt Turbo Golf. Just as comfortable and quieter than our 3 year old C Class.
Biggest difference was the Fuel Consumption. '''' 4.8 L/P100ks. On the same mixed roads trip the Mercedes would have returned a reversed number ...8.4
The Turbo 1.8 Lt Merc. is a bit livelier but not by much. It costs 3 time as much as the VW! After 6 months ... no issues, must be made in Japan !

abl567

Super Moderator
I was aware you had retrieved to golf from downstairs Sean, question is did you fill the spot with an old friend? I haven't been down to check:eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Sean not particularly attacking modern just not interested in the hit from depreciation that you suffer. Mind you a Friend has a new Renault Clio with the 900cc turbo and its a very impressive little car. Incredible fuel economy and very refined and good riding. With 5 year warranty and 16k they make a very tempting town car. :)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes ,depreciation is a sour note.....Perhaps it's the price to pay for modern safety in todays traffic. I know there is nowhere to hide..... but say, with a 20% drop in the first year on a Golf at $23k Car and the same on a $70k Mercedes the pain is manageable on the Golf. Even to quote my wife's pet hate ,Clarkson of Top Gear, who after driving the New MK 7 Golf simply said " Why would you need anything else " So in spite of himself he does seem to know something about Motor Cars.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes he sometimes is surprising not often mind you but sometimes. As I said friend has new Clio 90 Authentic very surprising little car I was pleasantly surprised how refined it was. :)

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, manufacturers are producing really good compact small cars nowadays. In fact, they have done so for many years now. I cast my mind back to the 3 cylinder Daihatsu Charades - a really rapid car on the open road. 130 Kim's. absolutely no problem - it would do it all day. Another Daihatsu to come to mind is the Applause. Close enough to thirty years ago, I was take for a ride in one. It possessed terrific torque in a tall fifth gear, accelerating quite comfortable from 1000 rpm onward. You still see them on the road today, and many of them appear to be in well maintained and cared for condition. Regards. Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Has anyone tried a new MB diesel?? I'd imagine the mileage and torque would be excellent

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Does a Vito count had one on rental last year in Leonora . :D