British nostalgia

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's not always easy to decide in which section of TK to create new threads and submit posts. This is one such occasion. Is it going to be in Articles, in the Library, in Road Tests or even Talking Torque. I thought about this carefully, but even now I am still not sure whether or not I have chosen correctly. So here goes: :confused:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If I may, I'll have the first word - but it is hoped that others will follow. Wouldn't it be nice to add a short anecdote to some of the pictures of old London and/or some of the cars being written about ? Well, I can to some degree. Sorry, I can't talk about London, having never been there to visit what must be a remarkable city. But, I can talk about the Jowett Javelin, for instance. It's not a car that appeals, but it has a flat four boxer engine (one of the first manufacturers ever ?), and some years ago I spotted on at dismantlers situated at Riverstone. It sat there close to the boundary fence, largely complete and I was musing as to why not have someone rescue the car and restore it. Alas, I don't know what's happened to it - it may still be there.

Then take the MG Magnette - very real smart luxury back in 1958 - the year when I arrived as a snotty nosed, but bright eyed kid in this country. We were living in Westbourne Street, Drummoyne at the time, with the Gladesville Bridge not yet having been built. I recall a Ford Customline with the huge star (or whatever it was) parked just down the street, looking resplendent in a two tone colour scheme (white/red ?), and I then saw this quite magnificent MG Magnette driving past my curious eyes, with a good looking hunk and crash hot female sitting by his side. It was a beautiful sunny spring day and I was totally overwhelmed by it all.

Then take the Lagonda 3 litre drophead - yes, I have seen one, belonging to an architect by the name of Whitehead, who had a magnificent property at Warrawee,a very expensive suburb on the North Shore of Sudney - he was also the architect of Bankstown Shopping Centre - if I recall correctly, the first in Sydney before all others that exist now in profusion. He loved his Lagondas, as he had four LG45 Saloons/Dropheads, and he also owned a British Racing Green Lagonda Rapide. The last named has always been a dream of mine - one of very many never fulfilled. I also saw one auctioned off by Goodmans at Double Bay for $25K. It was well used (nicely), but in good condition. At that very same auction, Rene Rivkin's magnificent Mercedes 600 sold for a paltry $40K. - that car owed him $160K. and I believe some lucky Chinese buyer became the new owner. It was at that time that Rivkin started to go 'bad' financially and some of his other cars were at that auction. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a bit more on the British Nostalgia theme. It is nice to see two lovely Rolls Royce cars finishing the journey. The Flying Spur - just so very much possessing of its own subtle styling variation - you can always pick a Spur of that era when compared with the standard Rolls and Bentley styling....and what about the Wraith - great name, great car, wonderful tradition. Those are just my opinions. Regards Styria

N.B. I did have use of a Silver Cloud III for a period of nine months probably twenty to twenty five years ago - it's an experience I will never forget.

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
When I was young(er) and lived in the country way out west, we had neighbours on one side who owned a Bentley MKVI + a Jowett Javelin + a Jaguar MkVII + a Jaguar 420G. I thought they were the most amazing cars I had ever seen. Only problem is, all their cars were black. On the other side we had neighbours who owned a Customline in pale blue with white interior and white venetians in the rear. Now that was the car I really wanted! It beat our plain black Cadillac hands down for desirability. Incidentally, in a clean up of my office last night I came across a photo of me as a baby with our Chevrolet Coupe. I did not realise I was quite as old as I am....:eek: To make matters worse, there is also a photo of me in the sidecar of the Indian Scout with my mother riding....:eek:
Regards,
Brian
OOPS!! I forgot, the MKVI owners also had a Light 15. Can anyone see a pattern forming?