All British Day

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
In my humble opinion, it is an event not to be missed. It takes place this Sunday, 28th August, presumably at this magnificent, of all venues, the Kings School at North Parramatta.

It is nostalgia at its best, and there is just something very special attached to this event. I had my knee replacement last Friday week ago (11th August) , I took my first tentative steps That afternoon (bed to walking frame), despatched from hospital on the Monday (nine days ago) and I have been going slowly backwards ever since then. You see, they obviously pump you full of pain killers, thatgradually start wearing off. Very clever !

Anyway, I am coping well, and SEL69L and myself will attend and, hopefully, I will be taking pics. C107 also attended last year with his wife and their delightfull little daughter, and I am hoping he will come again this year. Naturally, I am looking forward to meeting up with that most delightfull of all gentlemen, namely Benz Boy. I hope others can turn up as well....abl567, PVd, Michel (!) and many more. Regards. Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Alas, family duties will prevent me (at this stage) from attending what is one of the best days of the calendar!

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It may have been a bit of a struggle from a mobility point of view, but that was greatly ameliorated by the quality of cars on display. Sel 69L was kind enough to drive me to the venue in his very, very serviceable C280 and I was able to enjoy the half day thoroughly and admire the cars on display. I have taken a number of photos and will endeavour to post them as a matter of some priority.

Unfortunately, BenzBoy was unable to make it, and in the hurly burly of procedures, did not see C207. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Great pics from Sunday's All British Day thanks for posting Bryce.

Last edited:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Question for Brian, on the rather impressive Rolls Royce at the end of the display (I guess it was a Silver Ghost?) there was this switch on the side of the car:

36438334880_b667e567b0_c.jpg

What is this for? Fuel pumps? Was wondering on the day.

BTW, this is the car in question:

36664104702_f17c4459fd_c.jpg

abl567

Super Moderator
I'll hazard a guess that it is part of a chassis greasing system, allowing constant lubrication of suspension components.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And the answer is:
"Thank you Brian.
Basically the Silver Ghost has a dashboard mounted hand pump and a small mechanical pump driven off the front of the gearbox.
As per the photo this four way valve lets you set it to both pumps as shown in the photo, or to the hand pump only, or to the mechanical power pump only.
In addition there is a position which allows you to release the pressure in the fuel system.
The idea is to leave it set on both pumps as should the mechanical pump fail your passenger can lean down and hand pump 1 1/2 pounds of pressure to keep you going.
The mechanical power pump produces 3 pounds of pressure however it is fed through a reduction valve which is set to provide a constant 2 pounds of pressure.
I hope this answers your friend's query"

c107

and 111/116/124/126
And the answer is:
"Thank you Brian.
Basically the Silver Ghost has a dashboard mounted hand pump and a small mechanical pump driven off the front of the gearbox.
As per the photo this four way valve lets you set it to both pumps as shown in the photo, or to the hand pump only, or to the mechanical power pump only.
In addition there is a position which allows you to release the pressure in the fuel system.
The idea is to leave it set on both pumps as should the mechanical pump fail your passenger can lean down and hand pump 1 1/2 pounds of pressure to keep you going.
The mechanical power pump produces 3 pounds of pressure however it is fed through a reduction valve which is set to provide a constant 2 pounds of pressure.
I hope this answers your friend's query"

Thanks Brian. Quite a clever system really. Its easy to forget how primitive conditions were at the time these cars were sold new and how these small features made all the difference. I can imagine there would have been not only poor quality fuel but also few people who could service a car.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Thanks Brian. Quite a clever system really. Its easy to forget how primitive conditions were at the time these cars were sold new and how these small features made all the difference. I can imagine there would have been not only poor quality fuel but also few people who could service a car.
indeed - the Phantom was a much more refined beast with an Autovac system for fuel delivery. By the way, Autovac still exists today. http://www.autovac.co.uk/
Spares for British cars are generally much easier to obtain than for cars from the Continent due to the existence of small re-manufacturers.
Regards,
Brian

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Also quite a clever device.
If I am understanding it correctly, it uses engine vacuum to bring the fuel from the tank and control its release to the carby:

internalview.jpg

I would imagine for this approach to work there would need to be some kind of hand primer for cold starts.... I like a hand primer for a mechanical pump, makes it easy to start a collector car. My traction has one and its an easier cold starter than the DS that doesn't.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
No hand primer required - the way the Phantom handles it is to have a small secondary cold-start choking carburettor which runs extremely rich and is used only for about 5 seconds before switching over to the main one. This system works so long as you remember to turn off the petrol #### in the foot well to stop the Autovac from draining.
If you forget, you just pour a thimble or two full of petrol down the throat of the main carburettor and stand clear when you turn over the engine ....
Regards,
Brian
The word I am not permitted to use here is "petrol c-o-c-k-" Oh really!