Ball Joints and Ties Rods

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
So.... what's the quickest and most effective way to get these things separated from their corresponding knuckles? I've already tried a pickle fork but bent one like a banana. I had success with a propane torch and a grinder, but it was hardly quick or professional....

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
There are, of course, special tools and pullers particular to Mercedes Benz. I know of one repair company that has the use of those special tools. In days gone by, I have had some made up to fit Rover components, but I have successfully managed (only just) to use them on some Benz steering components.

The hammer blow method ? Can be very much hit and miss - generally the latter has the upper hand. It's a crass way of doing things, especially in areas that are quite inaccessible. Regards. Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I've got a new tool on its way and I'm sending back the old ones on warranty. Believe me I tried just belting it with a hammer and it just laughed and said gimmie more! I tried heat when I was getting desperate but even that wasn't really successful. In the end I cut out the whole spindle/stub axle with an angle grinder pending arrival of the new tool

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, which part/joint are you talking about ? Sometimes, if you disconnect the 'other end', you might be able to deal with the stubborn one away from the car - it is surprising just how much more readily you can split those ball joints when they are on the bench. Regards Styria