Any attempts on Avantgarde style grills?

More threads by Nütz

Nütz

Was looking at some available for W123's on eBay, but then it struck me, I've never seen one on a W116. For good reason? :D Pics if you have them please.

s class

Yes there is good reason. I have a pic somewhere at home, I'll see if I can locate it this evening.

Styria

The Godfather
Was looking at some available for W123's on eBay, but then it struck me, I've never seen one on a W116. For good reason? :D Pics if you have them please.

Hi Nutz, I am sorry you got me stumped - I have absolutely no idea what Avantgarde grilles are. Yes , some pictures would be handy to have a look at. Regards Styria

s class

I think he is referring to big bus-style star emblems stuck on the front of the grille. you know, its a cheap conversion for the down-at-heel W116/W126 owner who really wanted an SEC or SL.

OP
Nütz

Nütz

It's a grill that is all chromed out, rather than strips with a grey background.

An example of an Avantgarde grill for W123's

FT01_0411C_01AvantgardeGrillW123Chrom.jpg

G

GreaseMonkey

Either way, who really wants to look like a pimp?
I have seen similar jobs on some cars, and really, it doesn't look good.
Chris M.

oscar

Don't know if these come close to what you mean nutz but I tried this on my 350 way back when I was putting on the amg spoiler. Nothing permanent just jammed spare strips in there. Not sure how I was going to attach them but I ended up being 50/50 about the look. But I first got the idea after seeing a pic from nomada on benzworld a few years ago (see bottom pic) and saw how some newer mercs had that type of grille that you posted nutz. I love that w123 grill. That would look great IMO. Looks more stylish than just extra strips.

Styria

The Godfather
Yes I'll go along with you Ossie. It is, after all, a little different from the norm and it's a bit like having the Bundt Alloys chromed.
I have said it before, and I'll say it again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I would not want to be critical of anyone trying to be a little different. Regards Styria

G

GreaseMonkey

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I would not want to be critical of anyone trying to be a little different. Regards Styria

Sitting on the fence will get you splinters up the b*m!
C.M.

Styria

The Godfather
Sitting on the fence will get you splinters up the b*m!
C.M.

No Grease Monkey, it's a matter of respect for what someone values, and consideration for their feelings - as simple as that. Regards Styria - -plus, I do like the idea of having something different.

G

GreaseMonkey

No Grease Monkey, it's a matter of respect for what someone values, and consideration for their feelings - as simple as that. Regards Styria - -plus, I do like the idea of having something different.

Only kidding mate, my little joke, not to worry.
Although yes of course in a free country anyone can make what they want of their own Mercedes and not worry about what anyone may think.
Big alloy wheels, chrome wheel arch trims, loud 'doof-doof' stereo, lurid paint scheme, or any combination thereof.
But, in that same free country, we all have the choice whether to admire, laugh at, or criticise that person.
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
In my (not so humble) opinion, the more Chrome and Bling, the better :p

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Now who is having a laugh? I am not rising to the bait, mate!
C.M.

Bait?
What Bait? :rolleyes:

These are my real thoughts...
If I didn't think it would be over capitalisation, I would chrome most of the 'visible' and chromable items on my 690SEL ;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Found one finally. I don't think it looks bad at all, but that's just my opinion.
HotGrille.jpg

Quite nice, but where can you get it from ?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
One of the Tow Truck Drivers who frequenst my work shop has offered to get me a 'large' star and adapt it to the W116 grille for me.
He says they do it in the Middle East ...

Maybe I should take him up on his offer with a spare grille I have (as he needs to cut through the grille)

abl567

Super Moderator
My My My, Delilah;)