A pair and a spare?

More threads by WGB

WGB

I was searching through e-bay USA yesterday and came upon these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220463279690&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

As they are in the correct shade of gray for my carpets, I purchased them and will see what condition they are in when they arrive.

I have spare carpet if I have to recover them but they will probably shampoo up OK so long as there is not a major colour variation.

My question is - why are there three of them?

I have posed the question to the seller but only received a postal receipt .

In the photos two appear to be in better condition than the other one so I am assuming there is a car and a half's worth - or did the front passenger get one as well?

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, those footrests, I believe, came standard on the 560SEL, and possibly onwards. Michel had them in his 560SEL, and he was kind enough to let me copy them for reproduction purposes. Parks of course did the work, and we finished up with a first class product - same shape, same size and Mercedes Benz carpet.

The Mercedes price, new, is at least $1000.00, we produced them all up for one third of that figure. Bothe E200K and Matthew Kean from the Club have a set in their cars, and I do think that they provide excellent comfort for your feet and ankles. In your case, WGB, I suspect that the third one (obviously identical) could well be used by the front passenger. I am sure it will fit and, again, provide the previously quoted comfort factor. I reckon the interior of any Mercedes model, particularly the long wheel base versions, would be greatly enhanced by these footrests.

I can't quite recall the colour carpet supplied to AMG69 at the time he owned the car - however, it would not surprise if the material, and perhaps the colour pattern, are different. Maybe you can keep us posted on this. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
WGB

WGB

The carpet seems to be the same Gray colour as those pictures - I'll see when they arrive.

I will be contacting you soon anyway Styria about this Christmas' "Improvement" i.e. the headlining as well as what to do about the knee bolsters.

I have gray carpet which goes very well with the rest of the black interior but the kick panels on either side at the front are black with the knee bolsters covered in black vinyl.

I actually like this colour matching and it works very well but I do not like the black vinyl and would rather have black carpet on these knee bolsters.

Bill

Lukas

$1000! That just upped the value of the 6.9 by a bit - better call Shannons:)

I don't think you could use it in the front, as the relevant footwell area would be narrower, and you already have the slope of the firewall.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
The carpet mats in my car are all quite OK, but I have a duplicate set fitted on top of them, of the same quality and colour. I achieved this on the cheap. Over a period of about 4 years, I was able to obtain a duplicate set. The two rear ones came out of a 450 SEL from Pic n Pay Less, (a car junkyard). I paid $10 for the pair of them. The backing was in shocking condition, and the carpet top surface drenched in oil and dirt. No problem. I tore the remaining backing off them, to make carpets only out of them, then drenched them in Alkasteem, and scoured the oil/dirt out with a 3000 psi water blaster, (you need ear muffs with a water blaster of THAT power!). The result? Just fine. The carpets surfaces now look as if they are brand new, and very soft. You appreciate how good they are when you put a pair of bare feet on them. Same story for the front carpets, only they came out of two cars, about two years later, from the same junkyard, paid $10 each for them. The donor cars were a 350SE and a 450SE. Incidentally, the bonnet grille frame is from a 350SE, (different car); I paid $50 for that.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi SEL69L,.......but, but........you still ain't got footrests in your car, have you now ? :D Hi, never mind, it's not the end of the world, it it ? Regards ME.

Hi BenzBoy, I'd very much doubt if the same manufacturer would be involved. On the one hand, the exclusivity of Rolls Royce, on the other hand Teutonic efficiency of the highest order - wow, that sounds good. Anyway, let's face the truth - Rolls Royce for Royalty and the upper-upper nosed species, Mercedes 6.9s for.......hmmmm......not quite sure. What I know is that the end results are totally at odds with each other. Even the carpets.....the best of British Wilton against the softest of German velour. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi SEL69L,.......but, but........you still ain't got footrests in your car, have you now ? :D Hi, never mind, it's not the end of the world, it it ? Regards ME.

Hi BenzBoy, I'd very much doubt if the same manufacturer would be involved. On the one hand, the exclusivity of Rolls Royce, on the other hand Teutonic efficiency of the highest order - wow, that sounds good. Anyway, let's face the truth - Rolls Royce for Royalty and the upper-upper nosed species, Mercedes 6.9s for.......hmmmm......not quite sure. What I know is that the end results are totally at odds with each other. Even the carpets.....the best of British Wilton against the softest of German velour. Regards Styria
Yes - I guess you are right. How on earth could R-R ever have used that dreadful Bosch KE Motronic and 4 channel ABS and airbag etc....:eek:
I suspect there are more common components than we are aware. I mean, even the burl walnut is Italian!! :rolleyes:
Regards,
Benz-Boy of the Upper Nose :rolleyes:

E200K

I had an Italian walnut cake once. Totally off-topic, but rather splendid all the same.

OP
WGB

WGB

Anyway the riddle is solved.

The vendor e-mailed me back and said that he had an extra single footrest and had been waiting for some time for another single to turn up in the same colour but hadn't been successful in finding another lonely one.

So he added the extra to another pair he had to make a job lot of 3.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi WGB, thanks for bringing us up to date on this one. It will indeed be interesting to see what they're like. As far as I am concerned, they really should not be subject to undue wear and soiling, but then you never know. They ought to clean up all right. Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

And the final result

Rearseatfootrests.jpg

The harsh light of the flash makes the colours look a little more different than reality plus my 3 year old grandson has helped by leaving some dust on the seats and his plastic lizard on the transmission tunnel.

Bill

OP
WGB

WGB

Thankyou BB - I am,

and with a new headlining hopefully going in this X-mas all I need to do is keep the monster out of it - the three year old one who likes to climb all over Grandads "old" car.

Bill

E200K

WGB, the footrests look great. The trick now is to make sure nobody spoils them by actually resting their feet on them.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
WGB, the footrests look great. The trick now is to make sure nobody spoils them by actually resting their feet on them.

BUT, BUT, BUT........

That is why footrests were designed :eek: