6.9 vs RR Comparison Article

More threads by Oversize

BenzBoy

Grand Master
LMAO!

Their names are not repeatable in polite company Brian, Jags you know old chap.

I would rather like a Mk10 or 420G but fear it would drive me totally spare!
Have a friend with one - he calls it the "F'n pisser" - like any cat it pisses here and pisses there and then pisses in his wallet cos it can!
Regards,
Brian

Tony66_au

Early Mk 10's are nice because they are simple with little in the way of electrical goodies to bear the curse of the Prince of Darkness, Lord Lucas.

The 420G is ok but feel a bit cheaper than the Mk10 and my 65 model was a wee ripper.

Those high Comp XK motors and the 4.2 in particular is a very very capable engine as well and if you just happen to add a set of D type Cams it becomes fwightenningly Fwast as well.

The only hiccup is the styling which takes some getting used to but I always reasoned that you couldn't see it from the inside.

Variotronic steering and suspension that gets better the quicker you go are just a few of the things that endeared the Mk 10 to me.

That and it is like climbing into a ####pit not unlike the XJ's but with better interiors and the smell of saddle soap.

Damnit I want another one now!

Tony66_au

Oil leaks in Jags are largely due to a brass gauze filter at the front of the head becoming clogged which restricts the crankcase ventilation and the builds up a fair whack of pressure Brian, if you clean this flame trap every 6 or so months they then breathe freely and stop trying to vent through the rocker cover gaskets and sump gasket which then keeps the engine oil where it belongs according to conventional wisdom (Inside the engine).

Power steer leaks I fixed with custom hydraulic hoses (Enzed or Pirtek) and the rear end leaks can be fixed although it takes some machining and ingenuity. (Oh and best done with the rear K frame and suspension out of the car)

My Mk 10 didn't leak a drop eventually so to spite me the head went porous and the SU's jammed a bit filling the sump with raw fuel neatly washing the bottom end free of lubricant in a lovely 40/60 mix of Fuel and oil clatter clatter whats that smell ......

Tony66_au

But the drive is something difficult to explain and as they are not as large as they appear they can be fairly nimble on the road too.

I did weddings and such in mine as well as a few funerals so she earned her keep which is probably why I sorted her out as well as I did and when the time came to sell her she went to Sydney, purchased by an older gent in his 60's and then later sold at auction where I lost track.

Her last big trip was to Sydney and when I dropped her off in Vaucluse I cried just a little bit on the way to the airport so be warned, Old Jags get under your skin and for me they do in a way unlike any other marque.

I still love them but I cope by writing fondly but honestly about them and playing with my 9 years Jag free chip from JagAnon.

My name is Tony, and im an addict.