Wiper blade refills

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I went today to my usual after-market supplier of Benz parts but found the rubber inserts are NLA. I tried Repco and ran; all I could get was bright green or pink. Alas, back to Mercedes-Benz who keep them in stock and will ship them over night from Melbourne. The price for the rubber inserts is the equivalent of $2 per inch but the quality is better than the ones I can buy elsewhere...
The comment from the Spares Manager? "It's good to see people buying parts for a real Benz. We don't get them in for service like we used to...
It's 4 years since he's seen my car so he toddled out for a look (along with some of the new children in Service.) One of the children was so taken with the car she wanted to know if I would book it in for a service so she could have a squiz....
Question: what refills do you use? Complete blades are still available and they are looking to see if they can source some seat adjustment handles.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
How cool is THAT?? What W116 did you take BenzBoy? I use HSY and Imparts and haven't had a problem with supply YET

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
What W116? The only one I have is the 450SE.
I tooled around in it all morning doing errands and the like - quite fun flooring the pedal at traffic lights to leave a trail of plastic cars...;)
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
What W116? The only one I have is the 450SE.
I tooled around in it all morning doing errands and the like - quite fun flooring the pedal at traffic lights to leave a trail of plastic cars...;)
Regards,
Brian

What's happened to your bike riding activities ? The fad didn't last long.....:D Regards Styria

Regarding wiper blades - should be able to buy Bosch after market - mind you, I do not think that the so called genuine blades last all that well - not for the W116s anyway. Holden blades provide a longer life. (Believe it or not !)

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Dear Styria,
My bike does not have wipers. You are confused.
Bosch advises me they no longer make replacements. Thus my question.
Regards,
Brian

Dear BenzBoy, I was talking about you running errands in your car. I know your bike doesn't need wipers, but in any case, there was no rain activity yesterday. Regards Styria :D

Styria

The Godfather
In light of what had been hinted regarding availability to purchase wiper blades for our 116s, I started to hit the panic button thinking there would be no more available.

Anyhow, I am glad to report that I have procured two sets (four in total), part number 000 824 18 27, priced at $48.90 per set, plus postage of $11.00.
Regards Styria

A

Afro107

I used Trico's or similar ones from Autobarn.

They have inserts that are not "slide in and clip", they're the type that has one end shaped so that first calliper of the wiper frame seats in a recess and holds the entire length. The benefit is that it uses steel bars for original flexibility (important for curved windshield) and the width of the wiper blade is a perfect match for the wiper frame.
At $18 a pair it pretty much outperforms OEM ones made of unobtanium.
Cheap enough to replace at slightest performance flaw.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Afro107, it's good to see you back on deck again ! As per one of my previous posts, I had no difficulty procuring the genuine Bosch wiper blades at the cost quoted. With your Trico units, are they the type where you squeeze the 'caliper' type of fitting and it sort of clips into place ? I must admit I prefer to stick to original - for no real reason other than I think that is what I should fit to Gleaming Beauty - and let me stree that I am not a stickler for originality. You've only got to take a look at Gleaming Beauty (My 6.9). Regards Styria

A

Afro107

Yes, first calliper (part of the frame) has to be clipped/crimped in the slot on the blade body and that is the only one that locks. Impossible to remove without pliers. The rest are floating and I find that to be paramount for ability to follow curvature of the windscreen.

* The type that slides into the frame and has two thumb locks sidewise... isnogood.
* Plastic blade holder: no good for curved windshields.