CLC200 Wiper Blades

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm currently taking a poll on how much you think a dealer would charge to supply and fit a set of A203 820 26 45 ?? We just had the car serviced today....

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The quote from the dealer for the front blades on the ML was close to $200. I buy the inserts from Bosch for about $45 a pair. So, I reckon around $200 plus an hour of labour at say $175 per hour?
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, obviously the cost to purchase and fit must be reasonably substantial, otherwise you wouldn't bring it up. I must admit I am staggered at the prices quoted by Benz Boy. So I'd guess about $90.00. Incidentally, talking of fitting new blades to Gleaming Beauty or any other 116/107 for that matter, I have yet to find an easy way to fit them. I seem to have to bend open the little lugs that retain the blades and the stainless strip and then close them up again with a pair of pliers. Am I doing it correctly ? It just seems to be all cumbersome. So I am grateful for any hint or direction. Regards. Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Mark, obviously the cost to purchase and fit must be reasonably substantial, otherwise you wouldn't bring it up. I must admit I am staggered at the prices quoted by Benz Boy. So I'd guess about $90.00. Incidentally, talking of fitting new blades to Gleaming Beauty or any other 116/107 for that matter, I have yet to find an easy way to fit them. I seem to have to bend open the little lugs that retain the blades and the stainless strip and then close them up again with a pair of pliers. Am I doing it correctly ? It just seems to be all cumbersome. So I am grateful for any hint or direction. Regards. Styria

Never bend the wiper arm lugs :eek:

Best way to fit them is to fit the rubber without the steel inserts fitted, leaving the last lug free. then slide the steel inserts in all the way. Its then just a matter a gentle squeeze to pop it into the last lug.

260ebenz

Master
Quite shocked by the price for wiper blades are the blades gold plated?

The Battleship had new blades fitted they are Bosch blades which I assume are good quality?

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Try $225!!!! For wiper blades; are they serious??? Talk about highway robbery! Suffice to say we bought a set from another dealer at trade and I'll fit them myself!

It's garbage like this that turns others away from the brand. You'd be happy to pay a bit extra for exeptional service, but even that's deteriorating....

In saying that though, most manufacturers have gone their own way on blades and the inserts are no longer available seperately. You're paying for inserts and blades x 2 (not the arms). There's no such thing as universal inserts on modern cars and the prices have gone through the roof.

Update: We picked the car up today and even after telling them not to do it, they replaced the blades (for free apparently)! When I checked the invoice they charged $121.73 for the blades. The labor features as a lump sum and isn't broken down into different tasks. I bet the labor to fit the blades is hidden in there somewhere. This isn't over yet.....

WGB

I have been playing the wiper-blade game with M-B - two cars at a time for the past 10 years.

I make them, last longer by putting on last years set for summer (no rain from Nov to April in WA usually) and keeping the good set in teh dark inside until next winter.

You can now start to buy those blades in auto shops now and I have a set for the ML 320 CDI for about $60 at the local auto-one shop but they don't fit all models.

The Bosch inserts are great if you can find them. You have to take off the plastic end without damage and lift the small hook that holds the rubber which you find underneath (which end is which is your guess).

If you think wiper blades are dear try new front pads and cross-drilled discs for my E500 at $1820. I thought that was eye watering.

It made an A2 service at 56,000km come to over $4,000 (A service $550 + coolant $175 + transmission service $760 + rear disc pads $565 + front discs and pads $1820) - lucky I didn't need any repairs.

Bill

260ebenz

Master
Talking of various cost of MB parts.

Last week when the 300SE had the shocks fitted MB Mechanic told me new shocks for a Sprinter van cost $940 each.

Mechanic also had a C63 AMG that needed new discs which cost $2000 and the discs were non-genuine.

I shudder to think what genuine discs would have cost for the C63?!
:eek: