Value of a 6.9 by year

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Has anyone kept a record of the average value of 6.9s (or W116s), by year? I know the 6.9 originally sold at roughly $80K in 1975 and they're selling for a wide range of prices now, but what about in between? Styria made me think of this topic when he mentioned the price of parts and servicing. Will both the value of the parts and the vehicles themselves cycle from high (new) to low (old) and back up again (collectable)? :rolleyes:

WGB

After a while condition must out rate age.

Apart from the very early 6.9's with zebrano wood and a black console there was never much of a change to see and any running changes were generally under the surface.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
I tend to think that values of 6.9s, or even 450s, 350s and 280s depend greatly on condition, and the type of person who wants to buy one. That's a critical factor - the reason for wanting to buy one of our models in the first place. There is no doubt that really nice examples can fetch very good money, but sometimes also not so good. With the last named situation, the buyer can consider himself a lucky person.

Going back to one of our Concours events at Fox Studios about two or three years ago, there was one exhibitor with a 280SE in fabulous condition, even though he only managed second in class. I have reason to believe that the car changed hands for $20K. on the day, without it actually being for sale. So that proves, if you have the quality product, and a willing buyer, anything is possible. If one was to sell their 116, especially a 6.9, it should be in top condition in just about most respects, i.e. body and mechanically speaking, which would, or may, attract a prospective buyer in the knowledge that for a period of, say, at least two to three years, the new owner would have to spend very little on his purchase from a mechanical point of view, and if the car's body and interior condition are excellent, the new owner would be proud to drive the car on weekends only to attend car events etc, or even just go for a nice, extended drive. I think it is fair to state that most of us would like to show off our pride and joy, that is different and not available readily to others. Regards Styria

Last edited: