Scrap value

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
An informative day with the Mercedes Club on Saturday at an Auburn Restoration Premises. Accessing two late model Mercedes , both had the left front wheel driven back in relative minor accidents. Also needed new F/Guards and bumpers.
One insured for $45K was written off as the repair quoted was $55K. The other, a SL insured for $200K plus came in at $70K and was been repaired. Both cars had a bent chassis rail, requiring Engine out, Dash assembly out and major surgery to cut out the rail. The big surprise was the low value of the wreck , between $2 and $3 thousand. The rest of the car looked as new, no other damage ! The impact speed of both cars was estimated at no more than 60 Ks P H.

Food for thought

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If I was to considering to buy ANY modern pre owned car, I would not consider a purchase if I knew it had been repaired after major damage.
I just would not take the risk with any modern electronic car, and especially one where each micro processor has to speak to every other micro processor in the car, just to make it function properly.

But that is just me. (Is it?)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
If I was to considering to buy ANY modern pre owned car, I would not consider a purchase if I knew it had been repaired after major damage.
I just would not take the risk with any modern electronic car, and especially one where each micro processor has to speak to every other micro processor in the car, just to make it function properly.

But that is just me. (Is it?)
Not just you David - I'm in total agreement with you. A modern car is so complex that an accident, no matter how well repaired, may have ramifications in the future, particularly for wiring and CAN bus.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
One sentence sums up my opinion. Run forest run.:D:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
And this is why it has only scrap value Sean . In order to stop rebirthing rules and regulations have been changed with regards to statutory write offs. Most important is in order for it to be granted re-registration following repairs it must have been registered in your name for 28 days prior to being written off. There for the only person it can have any value to is the original owner no one else can repair and put the car back into service. Which makes the wreck have no value to re-birth to thieves but also means it has no value other than parts period. Which will have a flow on effect with vehicle insurance as they can no longer recover the cost at auction as the selling price is as you stated wreckers will only pay between 2 to 3 k for any wreck under 10 years old . over than a lot less. http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/written_off_vehicles/

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I further learned that once a Vehicle has a RTA Written off Stamp on it, and even if it has been Professionally Repaired and Certified ,..... no one would want buy it...... Point taken about the Can Bus System, even a undamaged car can be a nightmare........... Ask me how I know.
Trade in after the Warranty expires I've been advised on my New MK 7 Golf.
My wife would like a new C Class to replace her 2010 Model.... It's not going to happen ! ! She has fallen in Love with the current one, so it's hers till the "end of time "........... Been trouble free for almost a year now , so I'll take a punt for the longer term. Got to be more cost effective than writing off 10 Grand driving out of the Show Room with a new one.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes I agree Sean . maybe I am nuts buying a 18 year old S Class when I can afford to buy newer its just I like older cars. No car has value outside warranty anymore. So if buying new 5 years would be minimum warranty I would look at with a new car. :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My wife would like a new C Class to replace her 2010 Model.... It's not going to happen ! ! She has fallen in Love with the current one, so it's hers till the "end of time "........... Been trouble free for almost a year now , so I'll take a punt for the longer term. Got to be more cost effective than writing off 10 Grand driving out of the Show Room with a new one.
And that is why my ML, now 13 years old, will stay with me until it dies. A changeover price would be close to $100,000 for no gain in utility, comfort or safety. It's give very little trouble and has only 150,000 kms. A little over 11,000 kms per year. New car? Why would I? Perhaps I would if I could buy a manual....
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes I know the feeling cars bought new are mostly worth nothing after 6 to seven years compared with new cost. :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes I know the feeling cars bought new are mostly worth nothing after 6 to seven years compared with new cost. :)

So true! Anyway, getting into the ML is like putting on my favourite boots - comfy and of known quality. I reckon Motec's S280 will be the same (well at least until he decides to fit a supercharger...:eek:)
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
My reasoning is simple I bought this car new. And traded in 2013 for new Titanium which my wife has now but trade in price was $16000 car was $60000 new . Now I don't have someone wanting a new car I think I will stay with older cars.
2007 Ford Territory
Average Private Price+ $13,200 - $15,400
Trade In Price Guide+ $10,200 - $12,400
Average km+ 110,000 - 180,000
Price When New (RRP)+ $56,990

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
No the S280 was bought for 2 reasons one it is the W140 with least known faults and options. 2 it is base model so I have no ambition to modify if it was 600 I don't think I could resist. :D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
No the S280 was bought for 2 reasons one it is the W140 with least known faults and options. 2 it is base model so I have no ambition to modify if it was 600 I don't think I could resist. :D
Cameron, better known as Mercules, who used to be on here really, really wanted to turbocharge my SSII - and he has both the knowledge and skills so maybe when you come East we can introduce you to him.......
You may change your mind....;)
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I would listen with the 6.9 but I don't think the S280 as it will be car I drive to see my girls in. Nice car to drive is its main requirement. A comfortable place to drive the highway in. In other words I think it will fill that roll superbly. As for if I was to buy another new car it would be a Land Rover Defender as next year is the last for the icon that the Defender is. I have owned a County 110 in the past so I do have a soft spot for them. :)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I think that the observation that no car has a value anymore when out of Warranty sums it all up. My 1981 280 SL is going to stay with me. Withdrawn from sale . Quality wise it is the best of our three....... C Class 200 Gli and the new MK 7 Golf Turbo.
both newer cars drive very very well, but for how long.... not 33 Years as with the old SL. 107. It's interesting that with all the effort that goes into conserving energy is Pee-ed against the wind compared to the energy required to manufacture a car in the first place,.... with a 5 year plus life expectancy.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Sean yes I agree about quality of older cars. The W140 S280 I went to look at out of interest nothing more. I then realised it was way above the condition of others I had looked at so made the decision to buy it . As W140 was the last time the S Class was built by Engineers and not accountants. It is the most silent car I have ever been in so I will keep it serviced and maintained as the new ones do not do a lot for me. Even if it cost more to keep it in top condition and running it will be less than the hit of a new car even if 10k or more a year is required. :)

abl567

Super Moderator
So true Geoff, it's bloody easy spend to 10k a year on a very ordinary car that is worth nothing at the end, you make a monthly payment and you get transport, there is never any equity gained, nor memories retained. Older cars provided the memories gained, cost less to run, give others pleasure to see on the road and, most importantly, see people connect and form lasting friendships. What more could one want:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Truth is I can afford a new car now I have sold houses and paid of the wife's new car. Do I want a car that cost 70k like the just paid out Territory Titanium. No not really its not at the top of my list at the moment. Getting medical clearance to move east is and finalising work dispute is. Hopefully one ends this coming Friday. Then moving and buying a house with hopefully a big block as I have job offer in Canberra with a old boss that is were I will concentrate my search. :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Case in point $10000 will buy a 2007 A Class with 59000Km http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=AGC-AD-15991262&Cr=1
A 2004 C Class with 128000Km
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2568194&Cr=6
A 2002 E Class with 152000Km
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2535192&Cr=0
A 2000 S Class with 159000Km
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2843008&Cr=0
My point being the oldest is 14 years old and was over 200k when new its now under 10k a hell of a drop in price.

Attachments

• cp4763356453392980765.jpg
    cp4763356453392980765.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 165887962.jpg
    165887962.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
  • cp5117600533720948521.jpg
    cp5117600533720948521.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • cp4796303232062210067.jpg
    cp4796303232062210067.jpg