Unknown Device

More threads by BAR

B

BAR

There is a cylindrical device with an electrical connector that appears to come from behind the firewall [goes into interior of the car] and two connectors that appear to require a vacuum line to each. On mine the vacuum lines are not connected.

Can anyone identify what this is and also what the vacuum connectors are and to where they should be connected.

Close up photo:
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/BARTopkalsse/?action=view&current=whatisit2.jpg

Zoomed out:
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/BARTopkalsse/?action=view&current=whatisit1.jpg

oscar

BAR, that's the ingnition vacuum switch which allows the manifold vacuum to affect the retard side of the vacuum advance unit on the dizzy. There should be two white vac lines. One goes to the throttle body below the throttle plate and the other goes to the retard side of the dual can vacuum advance unit. The retard at idle thing is to satisfy emission requirements and the reason it's switched or over ridden is so the retard is cancelled during a higher load at idle like when the air conditioner compressor is running. I'm sure there's another reason or two but I can't think of them.

OP
B

BAR

Thanks Oscar.

I know the location of the distributor retard line: mine is currently 'closed' off with a bolt rammed into a short piece of hose.

Can you indicate the position of the throttle body connection, or show a photo of its location?

oscar

On a d-jet the connection faces the firewall but I'm not sure about a k-jet throttle body. I would say have a close look around the throttle body and see if you can identify which connection opens up underneath a closed throttle butterfly. Or someone can pitch in a k-jet photo. I haven't got any sorry.

TJ 450

The vac source for the retard side, via vacuum switch is on the contour hose to the AAV as below.

The vac source for the advance side (on throttle body) is the small diameter one closest to the firewall on the LHS of the throttle body (K-Jet). It is not easy to access in-situ.

Tim