Some RR and MB questions

More threads by Des

Des

Does anyone know when Rolls Royce first offered the option to have the "The Spirit of Ecstasy" disappear into the bonnet and unveil it again at the push of a button?

I've wondered why Mercedes never offered this, surely it could be done on a similar system to the vacuum operated headlights or the central locking system, using valves, accumulators etc...?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Dear Des,
On all up to the Series II Shadows the Lady was bolted solid for most markets and for some she was in a presentation box in the fascia locker - that was when she was considered a risk to pedestrians in countries such as Switzerland.
By the time of the last Shadows in 1980 she was spring loaded for safety. On the Spirit II she is retractable by hand and on the last of the Spirit IIIs she could be electrically operated. On the Goodwood Phantom she disappears when the car is locked and a plate slides across the hole. This function can also be activated by a fascia panel switch. The Goodwood Spirit of Ecstasy is somewhat different from the original - but then there have always been stylised changes over time. Whole books have been written on this subject.
When purchasing a Royce one should check that the number on the base of the mascot matches the car number as there are many fakes out there. My Spirit carpets are inscribed with the car number - as is the back of the instrument panel etc. etc.
I understand that Mercedes-Benz opted to avoid an expensive mascot as it would make the car more attractive to thieves and possibly scare some owners.
Please excuse the brevity of my answer. I must away back to polishing the timber for Sunday's drive day.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited:
OP
Des

Des

Dear BenzBoy thanks for your response,

Yes I have seen the fakes you mention, some even change the design of the lady,

One would imagine the cost of a genuine replacement to be quite expensive.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Dear BenzBoy thanks for your response,

Yes I have seen the fakes you mention, some even change the design of the lady,

One would imagine the cost of a genuine replacement to be quite expensive.

Des,
I imagine that a Lady would never be cheap!!!:eek:
One may purchase a new one only by supplying registration papers and 28 forms of identity. I know: I purchased a new key. However, having done so, I am on first name basis with the entire Sales and Spares Division and they take my personal banker out for lunch.....and yet it was cheaper than the new ML key after I washed it in a pair of jeans. :mad:
Regards,
BenzBoy

Styria

The Godfather
Well Benzboy, what an interesting story -I must admit to never having been privy to the details you have furnished us with. I absolutely cherish the idea of having the on dash facility to retract the flying lady. Marvellous.

You say that the lady underwent various changes over the period - you wouldn't by chance have some pics. that you could poste on TOPKLASSE ? Just very curious. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What a fascinating story Benz Boy...

Even I didn't know all of it....:(