seriously thinking

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
I'm now seriously think of taking it on the chin and getting out of my 2010 C Class. Latest , yesterday was my neighbours 2010 C Class requiring a $1800 electronic Gissmo to fix all the warning lights lightening up with the attendant problems. At 50000 Ks , plus two suspension rebuilds and two batteries. Mercedes ought to be ashamed of themselves, but do they care ? Still selling in record numbers, but will they get repeat customers ? Once a reputation is tainted it's hard to win it back. Fire the Cost Accountant and put the Engineers back in charge. But I'm not holding my breath. ....Sean

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
On the right track with a Hyundai. I had an I 30 for a week in Queensland last month and it did everything one could ask for Transport. Indeed I found it more comfortable than the Mercedes. And yes I would have a R.R. if it would fit into my Garage, a Shadow 11 from the Seventies is a good car. Heavier shocks and Radial tyres plus upgrading the Auto Box makes a nice Car to drive.
Fuel economy, put it on Gas
The Auto Box is easy to upgrade , just tailor the Line Pressure to firm the shifts
QED.......Sean

Helmet

Connoisseur
I'm now seriously think of taking it on the chin and getting out of my 2010 C Class. Latest , yesterday was my neighbours 2010 C Class requiring a $1800 electronic Gissmo to fix all the warning lights lightening up with the attendant problems. At 50000 Ks , plus two suspension rebuilds and two batteries. Mercedes ought to be ashamed of themselves, but do they care ? Still selling in record numbers, but will they get repeat customers ? Once a reputation is tainted it's hard to win it back. Fire the Cost Accountant and put the Engineers back in charge. But I'm not holding my breath. ....Sean

They are back in charge Sean, Mercedes Benz is building great cars now. If you want to sell your C class give me a call.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
yes Helmet, I'll call to see you as soon as my lungs ,from the Clots, are functioning a bit better. Should be soon.
When did Mercedes start making great cars again ? Over the last 10 years I have had nothing but trouble from successive C Class cars. I do have one Great Car a 1981 107 280 S L and my friend also has one ,which you service , a 1978 280 SE. Both designed and built by Engineers...not the cost Accountant.

................Call me a cynic, my wife does.............

Sean

260ebenz

Master
Sean would a 2006 Toyota Yaris YRS 5dr auto sedan be of interest to you?

83,000kms 1.5ltr 4cyl VVTI black in colour, full service history.

Yaris is in great condition.

Sean hope you get well soon.

Cheers Tim.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
A Getz, believe it or not, is my normal drive car. Hasn't caused me any pain so far.
It's tinny, plasticy, buzzy, cheap and practical. It can carry more, and much larger items than my 6.9. Dead easy to park.

It has airbags, ESP, ABS, remote electric adjust mirors and electronic overdrive. The seating can be re arranged in about 5 different ways. Auto, air conditioned, all electric windows, central locking and power steering. I can even wheelspin it from a standing start! 6,000 RPM doesn't seem to bother it, but it sounds thrashy at that speed.

It is also ridiculously easy to drive.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
May I suggest a Hyundai?
Regards,
Brian

On the right track with a Hyundai. I had an I 30 for a week in Queensland last month and it did everything one could ask for Transport. Indeed I found it more comfortable than the Mercedes.
Sean

A Getz, believe it or not, is my normal drive car. Hasn't caused me any pain so far.
It's tinny, plasticy, buzzy, cheap and practical. It can carry more, and much larger items than my 6.9. Dead easy to park.

It has airbags, ESP, ABS, remote electric adjust mirors and electronic overdrive. The seating can be re arranged in about 5 different ways. Auto, air conditioned, all electric windows, central locking and power steering. I can even wheelspin it from a standing start! 6,000 RPM doesn't seem to bother it, but it sounds thrashy at that speed.

It is also ridiculously easy to drive.

With all due respect to all of you who think a Hyundai is better value than a Mercedes Benz, I urge you to watch the clip below

http://youtu.be/VojePSOrnYw

260ebenz

Master
Mercedes-Benz safety first class!

Thanks for posting the video Michel it sure is an oldie but a goodie!

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, I haven't looked at your video as yet, but will do so in due course. I think the issue is not one of one make being better than another - I think it tends to be more of a reliability issue, or lack thereof on the C-Class models that Sean is referring to.

It was after Julie had bought her Honda, somewhere along the line someone mentioned having owned a CLC (the small two door), and the fortune it had cost to keep it running reliably - well, apparently it had owed the owner/vendor/passerby an absolute bomb in maintenance cost. I am fairly certain that this story came to light after the purchase of the Honda. Conversely, some of you may recall that we had toyed with the idea of a 5 cyl. turbo charged 6 speed manual Ford Mondeo. Beautifully put -together car, smashing interior, but.....it's been said, that they were an absolute heap of a car. I guess someone else will tell you otherwise. Anyway, Honda new, so far 10K. kms, and not a problem in sight. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I have two considerations when buying a motor Car. First is safety....
Second is reliability. The C Class ticks the first box. Also might is right, being hit by a Semi ,no one survives, Merc or no merc. But a bit of mass does help. My six cyl Subaru 1996 fitted the bill. Five star crash rating and never missed a beat in six years. Maybe the current 6 cyl.Toyota Cammeray would be a consideration. As pointed out most of them have all the safety items as standard these days, even the motorised "Shopping Trolleys "
I'll talk to some people at the "coal face " before I make any expensive rash decisions.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I do suggest you drive a Camry before considering one. My experience of them as rentals has been less than encouraging. I would like to like a Camry but alas, they don't endear themselves with poor NVH and very vague steering. Somewhat like a Yaris on steroids but quite incapable of 'roid rage.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it's the old story. As a rule, bigger should always be safer. Many cars nowadays have a five star Ancap rating, but I hasten to add that I don't really fully understand the implications of such rating. In my case, there is preciously little in front of the Honda by way of a bonnet, and thereby protection, whilst the 420 and Gleaming Beauty obviously have 'the goods' up front.

Having said all that, however, what protection does one need if the car spends a good chunk of time in the garage getting fixed ? Even a 10 star rating is of no useful benefit. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
yes Helmet, I'll call to see you as soon as my lungs ,from the Clots, are functioning a bit better. Should be soon.
When did Mercedes start making great cars again ? Over the last 10 years I have had nothing but trouble from successive C Class cars. I do have one Great Car a 1981 107 280 S L and my friend also has one ,which you service , a 1978 280 SE. Both designed and built by Engineers...not the cost Accountant.

................Call me a cynic, my wife does.............

Sean

Sorry to hear of your poor health Sean, hope you are better soon. You know, all cars , all models have their problems, we have both made a living fixing them. If you like I could list a multitude of problems that the W107 has/had.
I'd prefer to keep it more positive and say that if I was to buy a new car tomorrow it would be a Mercedes Benz , (given the monetary capacity to do so.)
Their design , technology and build quality are great at the moment, not to mention very nice to drive. No one will build a car that lasts for ever even if they could .

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Point taken Helmet. I well remember an Article in a British Car Magazine,
20 0r 30 years ago, where the Journalist said that he had bought a Mercedes because of the sheer integrity of the Engineering. That I cannot dispute. The current C Class drives very very well, easily out preforms my S L with an engine half the size. Perhaps now with a Battery capable of handling all the loads expected of it ,the attendant control units will now stay the distance.
And yes, even a R. R. is built down to a price. A perfect world does not exist.

Thanks all for your input. ... I do listen !

Sean

P.S. I'm on the mend...... we do however have a near perfect Health System ,mostly run by the Fair Sex.