sean sherry

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
At last I've found a mercedes forum which addresses the questions asked !
Newly aquired '81 280 S L a good car. Air ,leather, etc. ,4 speed auto. Problem is the petrol tank won't accept the last 15 lts. unless I dribble it in. Tank was removed and opened, looks like new inside. The breather hanging under the tank is clear to suck through and can't be blowen through. Must have a one way valve futher up. Can't understand this as the filler neck is open to the tank and atmosphere when filling. Tank accepts full flow from the pumps to this point.
All suggestions and wild guesses gratefully accapted. Thanks Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Sean, first of all welcome to topklasse, and it is hoped that you will feel free and comfortable to contribute from time to time.

Regarding the filling of petrol, it seems to be quite common that it takes time and patience to fill the tank completely. It's quite strange. I've stood there and let the petrol 'dribble in' and I'd go home and still feed in an extra six to nine liters until it is completely full. Makes it difficult to get accurate fuel consumption readings. Yet at other times, I may have travelled twenty or thirty kilometers, open the filler flap to top up and it would take no more petrol. :confused: Regards Styria - BTW, what does VSCC stand for ?

Helmet

Connoisseur
I usually wait a few seconds after the fuel nozzle shuts off, give the car a bit of a shake and continue filling. also something to remember is the angle the car sits when filling. I find the newer service stations have a lot of fall built into their forecourts to drain rainwater away, make sure you park with your filler on the high side.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Hi Stryia, VSCC is Vintage Sports Car Club. A big mixture of Early cars and some post war cars Mg Jaguar etc. Sean