Safety

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
In view of all the serious crashes reported on Country Roads I have been considering the two Cars we Drive. The Mk V11Golf is fine as a run about in Sydney. ( I have tested all the Air Bags in my 2013 Model !! ) How ever we now travel to our Daughters in laguna and in Shell Cove. North and South. Our low mileage 2010 C Class seems relatively Safe, I can't find any comparison to the later 205 to compare crash tests. ???? Some sites suggest that the 2018 Subaru Legacy is a better bet. Either the 2.5 or the 3.6. I'm not too concerned about the cost, just safety, say under $70,000.
I have a memory that there is a assessment of real World crash results on an American Insurance Company Site. Bryce ????

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If it’s strictly safety you’re looking for, then you have Volvo in first position followed very closely by Mercedes-Benz.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
In view of all the serious crashes reported on Country Roads I have been considering the two Cars we Drive. The Mk V11Golf is fine as a run about in Sydney. ( I have tested all the Air Bags in my 2013 Model !! ) How ever we now travel to our Daughters in laguna and in Shell Cove. North and South. Our low mileage 2010 C Class seems relatively Safe, I can't find any comparison to the later 205 to compare crash tests. ???? Some sites suggest that the 2018 Subaru Legacy is a better bet. Either the 2.5 or the 3.6. I'm not too concerned about the cost, just safety, say under $70,000.
I have a memory that there is a assessment of real World crash results on an American Insurance Company Site. Bryce ????

I don't recall the site that had the real world results but I do seem to recall it being an insurance company.

Don't forget that car safety ratings (e..g 5 star) include both crash safety and measures to prevent crashes. For example, in modern testing you can't get a 5 star rating without things like warnings if you get out of your lane and so on. A car can be very safe and score poorly in the test because it doesn't have this equipment and score well but not be as safe because its engineered for the test not the real world.

That is not to say that additional technology is not going to prevent accidents, but the ratings mix both. Personally I think there should be two ratings, one for collision prevention and one for if you actually crash.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Good point Bryce. I have both our Cars fitted with after market warning devices from "Mobile Eye" , which warn when we stray over lane markings. Also a warning when driving or approaching to close to a vehicle in front. "Mobile Eye" is the supplier to all the forward Collision devices now std. on most Cars. Most also apply the Brakes in an emergency up to certain speeds.
Had I had this device fitted to my 2013 Golf I would not have written it off. A loud incessant beeping would have alerted me to pay attention as I closed to quickly on to the stationary car in front. All Subaru's are fitted std. with the most advanced systems, and probably the pricier Mercs etc. And yes, a Volvo is probably the best protection of last resort. Smile as you go under !!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
After 7 years of ownership I finally read the manual...... The 2010 C Class has powered anti whip lash head rests..... It also has knee air bag for the Driver.
What more can I ask !!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I remember two very telling Mercedes Ads...
One said that a used Mercedes was better than a new anything else .. price wise correct !
Another on structural strength, Yes Air Bags are good ... but it depend what they are attached to...... with a photo of a Shopping Trolley fitted with an Air Bag