S211

More threads by c107

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor. A pain of a job on the M272. Lots of conflicting information on the Internet on what bolt type it is. Since you can't see it and you need to undo it by feel this is important. For reference on my car it was a TX30 Torx.

At least first test drive check engine light is not on and the car drives well. We'll soon see if it has fixed the issue properly.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I went to replace the wiper blades today.
I had purchased some online from overseas.
Bad idea, they are are 'handed' - i.e. RHD and LHD wiper blade sets are different.

I tried to modify these but couldn't - not the end of the world, only $50 for a set of bosch from a local seller, but a good lesson learned for the modern cars.

Styria

The Godfather
Reading this thread, C107, I got to admire your mechanical and fixability know how. Let's see if we can get you a well paying job at a Mercedes dealership.:D Regards Styria

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
A quick update on this car. I’ve been having the symptoms of a bad balance shaft but this car is outside the affected range from Mercedes. I’ve changed the magnetic actuators and camshaft position sensors but it didn’t fix it

Took the car to an independent mechanic who took off the cam covers and used a boroscope to confirm it has a bad balance shaft. The original bad ones were mostly happening at about 90,000km. Our car has 180,000 on the clock so the updated shafts are ‘better’ but apparently still soft. Maybe they went through a few tries to get this right.

With the price of used cars, it’s not feasible to get rid of it and get somewhere else, so I’ll be spending $6k for an engine out repair.
More here: https://www.classicjalopy.com/2021/12/m272-balance-shaft-issues-exist-outside-the-published-range/

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Now have the car back. Much lighter wallet but it’s smooth, has more power and no more check engine light. Shaft was bad even outside the range.

There were some delays getting timing chain guides from Singapore for a month. So we had the loan car for a number of weeks. Loan car was an 05 w164 ML350.

I know there are fans of the ML on this site but I was very disappointed by the car. Poor ride, cheap interior, bigger car but less space unless you wear a top hat. Having said that it was great to have a loaner and do the comparison.