S211

More threads by c107

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I thought it would take me longer than it did, given there are not so many of these around. I wanted to get the car by about November at the latest as we have twins due in January and having the bigger car first would be much easier.

We're about the only people in the country who dislike 4x4's so the choice wasn't bountiful.

Thanks again for the help with this.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Well I don't actually have an S211 anymore.

I was just about to leave my office to go and pick it up when the seller rang and told me the air conditioning had catastrophically failed and he can't sell it as it is.

Anyway, I think this is a load of bull but I have no way of proving it. As he has a dealer license I think he is worried about a formal complaint against it given we had already fully agreed, he had sent me an invoice, he knew I had a bank cheque sorted etc etc.

I could be wrong, but given i was originally supposed to collect it yesterday and he didn't return my calls all day, I think its likely.

Now to cancel the insurance too.

sean sherry

Master
SIMPLE BRYCE, HE GOT A BETTER OFFER. !!!!!!
what does he care about you or any body else.

On the bright side, Michel has arrange for a sunny Day on Sunday.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
SIMPLE BRYCE, HE GOT A BETTER OFFER. !!!!!!
what does he care about you or any body else.

On the bright side, Michel has arrange for a sunny Day on Sunday.

yes exactly. But in my mind if you have a deal you have a deal. And I think it is unscrupulous.

I had a situation where I got some quotes to do some paint work. After a couple of days we selected one and told him we wanted to start next week. The next day a final one came through that was quite a bit cheaper, but since I had already told one guy he had the business I didn't feel it was the right thing to do to accept the final quote.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
yes exactly. But in my mind if you have a deal you have a deal. And I think it is unscrupulous.

I had a situation where I got some quotes to do some paint work. After a couple of days we selected one and told him we wanted to start next week. The next day a final one came through that was quite a bit cheaper, but since I had already told one guy he had the business I didn't feel it was the right thing to do to accept the final quote.
Bryce; you are an ethical gentleman. That is the highest praise I can give.
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
When you're dealing with dealers...
Expect the unexpected :eek: :eek:

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Well the plot thickens.

I sent a couple of text about how the A/C repair was going, mostly out of curiosity to see what he would say and if he would keep up the charade. Anyway, over the weekend the car is now back on carsales and via text he says A/C is fixed. I still suspect that somebody offered him more money and the sale fell through. My guess is they saw the photos that look very good and when they got there saw the light hail damage on the car and baulked at the price. Since this car will park outside a car that has been garaged with perfect paint is not what I am looking for, and this car will soon have shopping trolley marks etc.

So we'll see.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well good luck. It's always exciting buying a new car ... even more exciting buying a old new car. If you want a wagon why not bite the bullet and go for a DS Safari? :D
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well the plot thickens.

I sent a couple of text about how the A/C repair was going, mostly out of curiosity to see what he would say and if he would keep up the charade. Anyway, over the weekend the car is now back on carsales and via text he says A/C is fixed. I still suspect that somebody offered him more money and the sale fell through. My guess is they saw the photos that look very good and when they got there saw the light hail damage on the car and baulked at the price. Since this car will park outside a car that has been garaged with perfect paint is not what I am looking for, and this car will soon have shopping trolley marks etc.

So we'll see.

I wonder why the pictures are so 'blue'.... :rolleyes:

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Well good luck. It's always exciting buying a new car ... even more exciting buying a old new car. If you want a wagon why not bite the bullet and go for a DS Safari? :D
Regards,
Brian

On the DS Safari, I had the opportunity to buy one at a very good price about 2 years ago. Timing was bad though, my daughter was about 2 months old and I didn't really have the time for a project car. Still don't really.

It was a safari that just needed final putting back together, it had been dismantled for respray and a professional respray had taken place, just needed the body panels put back on, interior and wiring re-fitted etc. One of the CCCNSW members bought it and had it on the road in 6 weeks. It was a very nice car and it was at the all French day. Generally I prefer the Sedan but the paint on this safari is much nicer than my DS21.

The S211 is for my wife and I think the idea of a DS safari would not be one she would appreciate!

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
The S211 was picked up without incident. Overall a nice car to drive back and my wife is very happy with it. The 350 engine is very powerful, feels like it has more omph than the 560SEC I had at one point.

Helmet

Connoisseur
The S211 was picked up without incident. Overall a nice car to drive back and my wife is very happy with it. The 350 engine is very powerful, feels like it has more omph than the 560SEC I had at one point.

So you bought it , congrats. 560 and 350 both have around 200KW and the transmission works better on the 350 .

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
So you bought it , congrats. 560 and 350 both have around 200KW and the transmission works better on the 350 .

And my SEC was a USA model when I lived over there for a couple of years, so it may have even been a little less, I can't remember the USA sepc. Was a nice car, was a shame to sell it.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
For those interested a bad photo below.

Things to do:

1) The cargo net is missing, i have found one in the right colour at a wrecker
2) Bluetooth module needed, these are available on ebay. Still researching the difference between the knock off and genuine mercedes ones
3) car has silly space saver spare. Looks like there is room for a proper one. Need to source a used wheel.

29428403672_c0a30ccde3_b.jpg

Helmet

Connoisseur
For those interested a bad photo below.

Things to do:

1) The cargo net is missing, i have found one in the right colour at a wrecker
2) Bluetooth module needed, these are available on ebay. Still researching the difference between the knock off and genuine mercedes ones
3) car has silly space saver spare. Looks like there is room for a proper one. Need to source a used wheel.

29428403672_c0a30ccde3_b.jpg

Viseo Bluetooth works better than Mb, I should have a wheel for you if you want .

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Congratulations!

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I've attached to this thread the service bulletin that describes the issue Helmut referred to on page one of this thread. it goes through the affected engine numbers and shows the hours required to fix

Attachments

• Mercedes_M272_balance_shaft_service_bulletin.pdf
    312.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Update on the S211 E350. We've had it for about 15 months and put about 10,000km on it. Its been a pretty good car and we get about 13l/100km out of it.

Its recently been throwing error codes about ESP/Tire pressure. I got a code reader and I am getting a fault from the steering sensor. A reset didn't fit it so I am going to have it replaced in the new year. Apparently pretty common on these models. Also going to get a new set of tyres, luckily they are a common size (225/55R16)

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
In the last couple of weeks the E350 has stalled a few times and lost power.

My scanner shows cog des for crankshaft position sensor. This seems to make sense so I am going to order one and replace it.

It also has a couple of misfire codes, I'm assuming they are related to the bad crankshaft position sensor, so I will be trying that first.