S211

More threads by c107

Helmet

Connoisseur
2005-2007 V6 engines had a problem with the engine balance shaft gear wearing. Check if this has been done, if not it will need to be done soon. Rear air bags seem to last around 100K km. Check service history for transmission oil changes. Make sure command system is working Ok and there is no delay with the screen starting up. Listen for front suspension noises, bushes are prone to wear. Have a look at the brake disc rotors for wear. SBC brake unit can fail at any time, see if you can see a date on it or if the owner knows if its been replaced.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
2005-2007 V6 engines had a problem with the engine balance shaft gear wearing. Check if this has been done, if not it will need to be done soon. Rear air bags seem to last around 100K km. Check service history for transmission oil changes. Make sure command system is working Ok and there is no delay with the screen starting up. Listen for front suspension noises, bushes are prone to wear. Have a look at the brake disc rotors for wear. SBC brake unit can fail at any time, see if you can see a date on it or if the owner knows if its been replaced.

Thanks for this detailed response, much appreciated.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Thanks for this detailed response, much appreciated.

Posted my reply before looking at the add, thinking about a bit more, if you can find a 2008 model it would be worth paying a bit more and not have the worry about Balance shaft or SBC problems, Benz deleted SBC late 2007 and went back to vacuum brake booster setup. I've never liked the feel of the SBC brakes.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Posted my reply before looking at the add, thinking about a bit more, if you can find a 2008 model it would be worth paying a bit more and not have the worry about Balance shaft or SBC problems, Benz deleted SBC late 2007 and went back to vacuum brake booster setup. I've never liked the feel of the SBC brakes.

Good to know, thanks. I will keep an eye out.
We don't really need to buy the car until later in the year, so have some flexibility to wait for something to come up. The goal this weekend is to see if my wife likes it. Once we have narrowed down to the model (S211 is the current frontrunner) then I can go find her one. We like the idea of the occasional 3rd row seats without having to buy a 4x4 or minivan.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
We looked at the car but didn't buy it due to the balance shaft issue. But we like the s211 so will wait until a better 9ne come up. Thanks again for the tip on this.

Im assuming a 2004 E320 or E240 don't have this issue so we are loooking for one of those or an 08 350. (or a car where the repair has been done)

Bryce

Helmet

Connoisseur
We looked at the car but didn't buy it due to the balance shaft issue. But we like the s211 so will wait until a better 9ne come up. Thanks again for the tip on this.

Im assuming a 2004 E320 or E240 don't have this issue so we are loooking for one of those or an 08 350. (or a car where the repair has been done)

Bryce

Yes, the M112 is near bullet proof. What was your impression of the SBC brakes ?

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Yes, the M112 is near bullet proof. What was your impression of the SBC brakes ?

They stopped ok, but there was a slight lack of feel.

But I was more concerned by the transmission in this car. Granted the car was cold, but it was far more jerky than I would have expected. I've driven the 7 speed before in a current model C class and it changed gears a lot but the changes were never jerky. Going through the service book, not once had the box been ticked that the transmission oil had been changed. Maybe it had, but it was a concern.

Getting back into my SLC for the drive home, the shift quality difference was pretty apparent - the 300,000k SLC transmission wins hands down and while my SLC drives nicely, I don't think it should be that much better. Of course progress was evident in the motor which was very powerful in the E350.

So I think an 04 is probably the go for us. This car parks outside and spends a lot of time in shopping center parking lots etc. The current lexus we've had for 5 years is covered in scratches from this. So spending around $15k is preferable to over $20

Helmet

Connoisseur
Seven speed is a very smooth box, must be something wrong with it. Just remember and SBC unit replacement is around $3K.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
There is a 2007 model that I have seen on carsales. the price is high, but the good news is that I don't think it is affected by the balance shaft issues as I found the engine number cut offs on another forum, which I see as

M272 9xx 30 468993

and using the russian vin decode site, the car I am looking at is in the 600,000 range. (the 2005 car is 30 039479). Obviously I would check the actual engine number on the car first.

However, as its a late 2007 I want to see if SBC is also gone, so I am assuming if I look under the bonnet and see a regular servo and master then I am good? I also found a picture of an SBC unit, so my other assumption is that if I don't see this device then I know the car does not have the SBC brakes.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1471503012657-4214943.jpg
    1471503012657-4214943.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 62

Helmet

Connoisseur
It will have a regular ESP/ABS unit in the same place, + it will have a large vacuum brake booster that the SBC cars don't have. The picture is an SBC unit.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
It will have a regular ESP/ABS unit in the same place, + it will have a large vacuum brake booster that the SBC cars don't have. The picture is an SBC unit.

Thanks for confirming, that was sort of what I expected, but glad to validate. I couldn't find a VIN range for the change, but from everything I read a car made in July 07 should NOT have the SBC brakes.
We'll see.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Had a look at the car today, drives very nicely, a few cosmetic issues, but a nice car.

Was nice to see a real brake booster and master. :D

That's one problem buying a used wagon, most people knock them around a bit.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Just got a text from the seller saying that he has agreed to my offer.

So looks like my wife just got a new car.

Now I need to get Jerry to fix a scrape on the side of her Lexus so I can sell that.
If anyone is looking for a 2 owner Lexus GS300 (2000 model) I will have one for sale soon.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Just got a text from the seller saying that he has agreed to my offer.

So looks like my wife just got a new car.

Now I need to get Jerry to fix a scrape on the side of her Lexus so I can sell that.
If anyone is looking for a 2 owner Lexus GS300 (2000 model) I will have one for sale soon.

Well done, that was quick.